Author Topic: Michelle Obama Unveils $600K Updates to White House State Dining Room  (Read 541 times)

Offline mountaineer

Michelle Obama Unveils $600K Updates to White House State Dining Room
BY:  Morgan Chalfant   
July 8, 2015 10:35 am
Washington Free Beacon
Michelle Obama has updated the White House State Dining Room with nearly $600,000 in new furniture and drapery, the Associated Press reported.

The room boasts new blue-and-beige-striped silk drapes enhanced with designs of flowers, baskets, and ribbons as well as custom-made North Carolina mahogany chairs trimmed with brass.

Complimenting the twin custom-made wool rugs ordered for the room in 2012, the new items cost $590,000, a tab which was picked up by the White House Endowment Trust.

Overseen by the White House Historical Association, the trust is a private fund used to maintain the “historical integrity” of rooms in the White House open to the public. The trust is fueled by private donations and money earned from the Historical Association’s operations.

Michelle Obama has been enthusiastic in her campaign to revamp the White House rooms. She also spearheaded a redesign of the Old Family Dining Room competed in February, a project that produced fresh window treatments, bronze sconces, a new paint job and a $290,000 painting in the room.

The first lady is rumored to have clashed with former chief floral designer Laura Dowling, who quietly left her post three days after the unveiling of the fresh Old Family Dining Room, according to the Washington Post.

The last update to the State Dining Room occurred during the Clinton administration in 1998.
Hey, it's only money.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rivergirl

Her taste in furnishings is only exceeded by her taste in clothing.   :thud:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
So many politicians, and especially more than any the Obama's view the national treasury as they own private personal checking account.

But the bigger issue in this is a little bit of cause for question. If the Obama's really expected to be leaving in a few months, which remains to be seen, why would they undertake a major and entirely frivolous renovation at this point? Why would they do it now? I do not understand this, but it is something to wonder about?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

The last update to the State Dining Room occurred during the Clinton administration in 1998.
Looks like the Bushes had the good sense not to spend money unnecessarily (at least on this) during their time in the White House.

I agree, 240B, why spend more money? But then, the extravagance of their frequent vacations doesn't seem to outrage anyone but us mopey conservatives, so it's not surprising they'd drop $600K just for the fun of it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Looks like the Bushes had the good sense not to spend money unnecessarily (at least on this) during their time in the White House.

I agree, 240B, why spend more money? But then, the extravagance of their frequent vacations doesn't seem to outrage anyone but us mopey conservatives, so it's not surprising they'd drop $600K just for the fun of it.

Absolutely. $600K to the Obama family is like having one lunch in Paris, or the maid and room service bill in the Hamptons, while they are on one of their many and frequent, "earned and well deserved", vacations.

Marie Antoinette anyone? I would say so. I would say it is a full blown psychological disorder to spend as much money as they can, as fast as they can, on anything, no matter how stupid, before their lease is up.

And their is no one in D.C. who is ever going to tell them to "stop it!" And even if someone did, the Obama's would just laugh, and flip them off, and keep on doing what they are doing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:17:42 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
But then, the extravagance of their frequent vacations doesn't seem to outrage anyone but us mopey conservatives, so it's not surprising they'd drop $600K just for the fun of it.

That is because there are no long any checks and balance. All the controls have been blown straight off or abdicated by the other branches. Nobody in D.C. is checking and balancing anything. It is totally out of control, and Obama is the ringmaster leading the parade. Seventy-six trombones in the big parade...!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Her taste in furnishings is only exceeded by her taste in clothing.   :thud:

So true.   **nononono*

Offline aligncare

Plus, she leaves her mark.  Something to be proud of.