Author Topic: RANKING THE GOP CANDIDATES FOR 2016 (NO, THE DONALD IS NOT NO. 1) By - The Washington Times  (Read 1578 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jun/29/ranking-gop-candidates-2016-no-donald-not-no-1/print/

RANKING THE GOP CANDIDATES FOR 2016 (NO, THE DONALD IS NOT NO. 1)
By - The Washington Times - Monday, June 29, 2015

Another day, another Republican enters the race for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination. There are now so many -- a baker's dozen, perhaps more if another has entered the race while you've been reading this -- and three more are expected to announce in the coming days.

So to keep track of the lot, I've compiled this handy primer on the race (and just like everyone in Washington, D.C., I'm an expert on politics [although I really have covered politics Inside the Beltway for 25 years, so trust me]).

Let's start with the longshots and work up to the Top 5.

16: Donald Trump. Seriously, he's running. In his announcement speech, he said "I" 195 times, and also declared "I'm really rich." Sure, he's just looking for some media coverage in between tapings of his horrible TV show, but his message of common sense -- and his disgust for politics as usual -- is resonating with some. Still, he'll be out of the race in no time and back to his golf courses.

15: Lindsey Graham. Never mind.

14: Bobby Jindal. The Indian-American governor of Louisiana was the talk of the town in 2012, but this time around he barely registers in the polls. And he's a throwback to the socialphobic Establishment candidates of the past (he thinks schools should decide whether to teach evolution and his head nearly exploded after the Supreme Court gay marriage ruling). Jockeying for a veep slot.

13&12: Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee. Two more blasts from the past who are singing out of the same hymnal. Americans -- even conservative Americans -- aren't going to vote for single-issue candidates this time. Nowhere to go but down and out for these two.

11: Ben Carson. A tricky one. He's not a politician, and people like that. The famed neurosurgeon also delivers the Trump-type message: This country's in terrible shape precisely BECAUSE politicians are morons. But he's got an unskilled team of political lightweights and he's timid in interviews, so he won't go far.

10. George Pataki. A three-term governor of liberal New York, he's a more moderate Republican who is pro-choice (you don't see that every day). A tax-cut champion, Pataki would be a formidable candidate if the field wasn't filled with so many skilled governors. One and done.

9: Rand Paul. The Tennessee senator wowed with a filibuster on privacy and grabbed headlines with a strong rollout after announcing, but he has since faded. He's having a hard time finding a moneyman to bankroll his campaign. His Libertarian bent attracts the Millennials, but his weak foreign policy stances turn off the GOP base.

8. Ted Cruz. He's the talker of the bunch, a certified champion debater from Harvard. Unlike Paul, he's raising cash and can last until the primaries. But like Paul, he announced early and has since been overshadowed. Plus, he talks weird. Only one U.S. senator has a chance this time and it's not Rafael Edward Cruz.

7: Carly Fiorina. She's a player and, while not a politician, she's running a powerful campaign early on. Able to target Hillary Clinton without fear of the sexism charge, the businesswoman has been all business -- even showing up at a Clinton rally to steal the spotlight. While she won't be the nominee, she will be on the short list for veep.

6: Rick Perry. The governor of Texas forgot one of the three things he was trying to say in 2012, and became a Saturday Night Live joke. But he's since donned some smart-looking glasses and he's been studying up for this run. He delivered a powerful speech to start his campaign and he could easily rise into the top tier.

5. John Kasich. He's not even in the race yet but he's Top 5. A highly successful governor of Ohio (a big swing state), he's conservative through and through. He's a candidate many donors have been waiting for, and he'll build a strong team quickly. Plus, if Jeb Bush stumbles, Kasich becomes the Establishment darling.

Scott Walker. The guy own three elections in four years in liberal Wisconsin. He's got the conservative bona fides and a strong track record. He's not particularly good on his feet and so far has stumbled on the national stage. But he'll be in the race till the end.

Chris Christie. Don't sell him short. The New York Times hates him (always a good sign), but the guy won two elections in bright-blue New Jersey. And he's got the Jersey brawler in him. His campaign motto is "tell it like it is," and that's what he's going to do. He also can go head-to-head with anyone

Jeb Bush: Obviously the Establishment front runner, and he's sucking up so much money there soon won't be enough to go around. He owns Florida (another swing state), speaks Spanish fluently and, like Kasich and Walker, has a strong record. The question remains, though: Will America go for a third Bush?

Marco Rubio. He's the strongest candidate right now. A powerhouse on foreign policy, he brings a compelling personal story.

Again, the New York Times hates him (remember the story on his driving record and the boat he bought?) Pro: He's the youngest candidate in the field. Con: He's the youngest candidate in the field.

But there's still nearly 500 days until Election Day. Anything and everything can change.

Except not for Donald Trump. "You're fired."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Other than Bush, Pataki and Christie, I'd be happy with any of the top 10. I'm disappointed that Santorum isn't polling a little better.  The article claims that  Bush "owns Florida"; I personally don't think so. I believe Florida will go to Rubio or one of the other candidates in a surprise upset.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
NOT my list for sure!

Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Bobby Jindal toss up for #1 at present.

Ted Cruz #4

Carly Fiorina #5

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:24:18 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I don't agree with all the rank order (except for Trump being bottom, as is appropriate for a bottom feeder), but the summaries are pretty spot on to me. Cruelly accurate in Ben Carson's case, but life just is cruel sometimes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I think the author is dreaming on a couple of these, like Kasich and Christie. Right now I see the candidates having the mojo as being Perry, Walker, Jeb, Rubio, and Fiorina. And Trump is not at the bottom no matter how much the author wishes it so.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

This is an accumulation of different polls; Fox, Public Policy, NBC, etc. They are all showing Clinton polling better than any of the GOP candidates.  However, Rubio, Bush, Cruz, Paul and Walker are all doing very well and it appears that the closest race would be Clinton v. Rubio. Why Romney is still included is beyond me and take into consideration that Walker still hasn't committed.

We are still a year out and today also marks when the candidates have to release their financial campaign figures.

http://www.270towin.com/2016-polls/2016-general-election-matchups/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Polls showing Hillary! beating any of the GOP candidates are not taking into account that Hillary is only running against Bernie so far and most of the potential support she could garner is already backing her.  It's not accounting for the vast amount of voters that will get behind the winning GOP candidate - I know all won't - but there will be a significant number that will shift and vote for the final candidate.  Candidates who are close to Hillary! now, could end up with a lot more votes than just their current supporters.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline raml

That is not a very good ranking according to polls I have seen so far and if it was I say the republicans will lose with any of the top ones listed.