Exclusive Content > Editorials

OMG...WTF??

(1/7) > >>

DCPatriot:
Am I being paranoid?  Or, is 'somebody' really tracking 'you'?

I recently upgraded my smartphone because I couldn't stand the tiny screen on my Android Thunderbolt.  It must have been at least 6 years old.

Upgraded to a LGG Vista.

This morning, on my desktop work station, I googled for the location of Frey's Cues, in Catonsville, MD...outside Baltimore.

Bob Frey has been selling custom cues and Sneaky Petes for many years....out of his private residence.  I go there to get my cues re-tipped.

When I was ready to leave, for some reason, for the FIRST time, I clicked on Chrome....the google-based internet search engine.

I have never used the search function on this new phone.  NEVER.

Guess what opened after I clicked on it? 

AZbilliards.com forum.

Now....can somebody please explain this?    :shrug:

aligncare:
Car manufacturers have been tracking you via your key fob and selling the info. You can't walk down a street without being on candid camera. Your online activity is an open book. Yeah, your physical location is tracked and sold.

DCPatriot:

--- Quote from: aligncare on June 30, 2015, 12:32:37 am ---Car manufacturers have been tracking you via your key fob and selling the info. You can't walk down a street without being on candid camera. Your online activity is an open book. Yeah, your physical location is tracked and sold.

--- End quote ---

I was first alerted to the possible applications of so-called "features" built-in the smartphone.

When I view pics taken with my cell phone...lo and behold, the name of the street where I took the picture appears like a title of the photo.

Happened when I toured my buddy's garden and took some pics of these beautiful lilies.  Then, I noticed it when I took some pics of one of my cats in the window of my own condo.  It hought...WTH?????

So, this place this morning was a private residence, but is listed on the internet as "Frey's Cues".

It's like they knew I was there and possibly searching or thinking of buying a pool cue, etc..

I thought immediately of that scene from the movie "Minority Report", when Tom Cruise's character is strolling through an airport and holograms appear as commercial ads selected just for him.

This is some scary, unsettling sh*t....IMHO.   

andy58-in-nh:

--- Quote from: DCPatriot on June 30, 2015, 12:26:13 am ---Am I being paranoid?  Or, is 'somebody' really tracking 'you'?

I recently upgraded my smartphone because I couldn't stand the tiny screen on my Android Thunderbolt.  It must have been at least 6 years old.

Upgraded to a LGG Vista.

This morning, on my desktop work station, I googled for the location of Frey's Cues, in Catonsville, MD...outside Baltimore.

Bob Frey has been selling custom cues and Sneaky Petes for many years....out of his private residence.  I go there to get my cues re-tipped.

When I was ready to leave, for some reason, for the FIRST time, I clicked on Chrome....the google-based internet search engine.

I have never used the search function on this new phone.  NEVER.

Guess what opened after I clicked on it? 

AZbilliards.com forum.

Now....can somebody please explain this?    :shrug:

--- End quote ---

My experience has been that if you log into Google as a registered user (where it can recognize you by name), it will log your IP address and location, remembering your browsing history, and then when you log on to any other device the same way, it will be able to make search and advertising selections based upon that history. Spooky and creepy.

For that reason, I never log in to Google under my account name, and also employ anonymizing tools, both within the browser and as an add-on ("Blur").

mystery-ak:
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/29377770/samsung-phone-bug-gives-hackers-complete-control-of-your-phone
Samsung phone bug gives hackers complete control of your phone

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version