Author Topic: Bookstore at Gettysburg park pulling Confederate flag items  (Read 1166 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.wtae.com/news/bookstore-at-gettysburg-park-pulling-confederate-flag-items/33774788

Bookstore at Gettysburg park pulling Confederate flag items
Published  4:12 PM EDT Jun 25, 2015

GETTYSBURG, Pa. —The bookstore at Gettysburg National Military Park has stopped selling items with the Confederate flag in the wake of last week's massacre at a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina.

Gettysburg, the site of the Civil War's pivotal battle, said Thursday it will no longer sell 11 items that use the battle flag as a stand-alone feature.

The bookstore says it will continue to offer items that feature both the U.S. and Confederate flags, as well as books, DVDs, and other educational materials "where the image of the Confederate flag is depicted in its historical context."

The National Park Service had asked concessionaires to pull Confederate-flag clothing, stickers and other items.

National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis says "stand-alone depictions of Confederate flags have no place in park stores."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Bookstore at Gettysburg park pulling Confederate flag items
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »
Pretty soon all references to the Civil War will be eradicated..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 07:58:11 pm »

By the time Harriet Tubman is put on the $10 bill she'll have single-handedly defeated the racist Republicans of the South and ended slavery in America.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:00:58 pm by ArneFufkin »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:58:39 pm »
Fellow-Countrymen:

At this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended address than there was at the first. Then a statement somewhat in detail of a course to be pursued seemed fitting and proper. Now, at the expiration of four years, during which public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and phase of the great contest which still absorbs the attention and engrosses the energies of the nation, little that is new could be presented. The progress of our arms, upon which all else chiefly depends, is as well known to the public as to myself, and it is, I trust, reasonably satisfactory and encouraging to all. With high hope for the future, no prediction in regard to it is ventured.

On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place, devoted altogether to saving the Union without war, insurgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it without war—seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation. Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came.

One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the object for which the insurgents would rend the Union even by war, while the Government claimed no right to do more than to restrict the territorial enlargement of it. Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. "Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh." If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgements of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

Abraham Lincoln - Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 09:19:47 pm »
So who they gonna put in as the opposition at Gettysburg? Hannibal? The Waffen SS?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:05 pm »
So who they gonna put in as the opposition at Gettysburg? Hannibal? The Waffen SS?
Tea Party.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:49:25 pm »
It won't be long and the Civil War will have to be expunged from the history books.(I'm not joking)  It takes more than one side to have a war.  Any H.S. or University with the nickname Rebels will have to change it.  The words gray and south will have to be taken out of the language since they might remind someone of the Civil War and cause them to become mass murderers.  I'm sure it won't be long before Lincoln will be known as gay. :soangry:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:50:20 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:52:26 pm »
It won't be long and the Civil War will have to be expunged from the history books.(I'm not joking)  It takes more than one side to have a war.  Any H.S. or University with the nickname Rebels will have to change it.  The words gray and south will have to be taken out of the language since they might remind someone of the Civil War and cause them to become mass murderers.  I'm sure it won't be long before Lincoln will be known as gay. :soangry:

I feel your pain, ranger, I truly feel your pain.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:56:51 pm »
[/quote

10 years ago I was telling people America would collapse within 75 years.  When Obama was elected, I said no more than 50.  Now, at 68, I believe I will be alive to see it collapse which is an extremely bitter pill for a veteran.  Thanks for recognizing the anger.

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 11:00:00 pm »

10 years ago I used to tell people that America would collapse within 75 years.  When Obama was elected, I said no more than 50.  Now, at 68, I believe I will be alive to see it happen.  That is an extremely bitter pill for this veteran.  Thanks for recognizing it.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 11:09:59 pm »
I'm sure it won't be long before Lincoln will be known as gay. :soangry:
That ship has sailed. Several years ago, a "biography" of Lincoln claimed he was a homosexual. The New Yorker book review was very positive (needless to say).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 11:18:31 pm »
Yes, I remember that.  But I think the book will be better received now - just like Mein Kampf is well received throughout the M.E.  The people on the left can now use it as a stepping stone to destroy another white man.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 11:24:17 pm »
That ship has sailed. Several years ago, a "biography" of Lincoln claimed he was a homosexual. The New Yorker book review was very positive (needless to say).

There has been many books over the years with passages insinuating Lincoln was gay..especially with his good friend Joshua Fry Speed.....here is a site I came across years ago.

http://willo22701.blogspot.com/
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 12:10:08 am »
10 years ago I used to tell people that America would collapse within 75 years.  When Obama was elected, I said no more than 50.  Now, at 68, I believe I will be alive to see it happen.  That is an extremely bitter pill for this veteran.  Thanks for recognizing it.

I not only recognize it, I'm feeling it too.  This has been one dreadful week.  Dreadful.   **nononono*

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 01:05:11 am »
rangerrebew wrote above:
[[ It won't be long and the Civil War will have to be expunged from the history books.(I'm not joking)  ]]

You're not alone in your sentiments.
That's one of the first things I thought when the "erase the Battle Flag" screams started.

The folks currently pushing for this have plenty of prior experience at their craft:

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 06:39:00 am »

What flag will Civil War Reenactors carry?   If they are even aloud to reenact battles anymore. .
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 01:09:28 pm »

It's already started. In a newer history curriculum, Robert E. Lee is not mentioned at all. Harriet Tubman is mentioned at least several times. Washington is mentioned once. As a slave holder.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee