Author Topic: Colorado court: Workers can be fired for using marijuana off-duty  (Read 6622 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Colorado court: Workers can be fired for using marijuana off-duty
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »
OK, let's try something.

By a show of hands, who here has smoked marijuana (more than "tried it, didn't like it")?
Smoked it occasionally until about age 35. Grew my own for awhile. Just stopped; didn't like the feeling anymore.

Although I may have a somewhat "addictive personality" I smoked pot to relax,  to groove on music, to complement cold beer, to be sociable and laugh, etc. Did I say groove on music? Dave's not here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:56:43 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 03:26:27 pm »
Let's face it, if you're in your 60's you grew up in the 60's and probably used. In my group we didn't use alcohol, instead we used every other chemical that happened to be circulating the streets that day.

I hear you.  I tried it all, but didn't really like most of it.  I did find that Black Beauties, Wild Turkey and a Pontiac Trans Am is NOT a good combination!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 03:31:29 pm »
I have not used mj or any other illegal drug, mostly because I saw what a jerk my druggie older brother was and still is. He's not exactly an advertisement for the product.

But our own personal experiences really aren't relevant to the question of whether an employer should be able to fire a drug user.

Yes, true.

For me, I can't help question the loss liberty. How much are we willing to give up for the greater good? What about personal sovereignty and being masters of our own lives?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »
I have not used mj or any other illegal drug, mostly because I saw what a jerk my druggie older brother was and still is. He's not exactly an advertisement for the product.

But our own personal experiences really aren't relevant to the question of whether an employer should be able to fire a drug user.

It's really an issue of intoxication.  If you come to work intoxicated - or get there on the job - you should probably be fired.  And I have worked with alcoholics and they are the worst!  Whether it's pot, alcohol, prescription drugs, funny mushrooms or whatever else - the only test should be, are you a productive, reliable, honest and hard-working employee - are you helping your employer or hurting?  Until you screw up - it should be no one's business.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 04:08:16 pm »
OK, let's try something.

By a show of hands, who here has smoked marijuana (more than "tried it, didn't like it")?

I smoke almost every day. I have anxiety issues and it helps a lot.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 04:16:58 pm »
I smoke almost every day. I have anxiety issues and it helps a lot.

That's why I like it.  I have struggled with depression and anxiety most of my life and have tried lots of prescription meds that doctors have given me and have tried self-medicating too - I ended up hating them and finding out that what helped me relieve some of that anxiety was the humble herb that I could grow in my back yard if they would let me.  I wish it would be legal where I live, I would use it more.  I know many people that have used it regularly - for decades.  They have held down good-paying jobs and raised families, live in nice houses.  They are good tax-paying citizens, responsible and productive. 

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 04:23:24 pm »
That's why I like it.  I have struggled with depression and anxiety most of my life and have tried lots of prescription meds that doctors have given me and have tried self-medicating too - I ended up hating them and finding out that what helped me relieve some of that anxiety was the humble herb that I could grow in my back yard if they would let me.  I wish it would be legal where I live, I would use it more.  I know many people that have used it regularly - for decades.  They have held down good-paying jobs and raised families, live in nice houses.  They are good tax-paying citizens, responsible and productive.

I think most potheads that decide they're too lazy to be productive members of society would have made that decision regardless of the pot.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 04:39:34 pm »
I think most potheads that decide they're too lazy to be productive members of society would have made that decision regardless of the pot.

Me too.  They call it a "gateway drug", but it's my opinion that some people turn to pot in an attempt to self-medicate and try anything to relieve issues that they had before trying pot.  And some people have addictive personalities.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 04:46:30 pm »
Geesh....I shouldn't be admitting this on a web forum but what the hell....

My sons and I....we've had a decades-long 'thing' where we'd all go to see a movie together.  They were all over the age of 21 when we would smoke some weed before entering the theater.

It has provided us wonderful memories to which we still hold our stomachs laughing our heads off.

I can still 'see' Adam crouched down in his seat, his mouth agape, staring intently at the screen.   He loves Star Wars to this day.   His twin Bret, after graduating from Emory University went out and bought himself a $1500 light saber, which he uses every Halloween when he dresses as Darth Vader.

He said it was the weed to this day.   Love my boys.   :laugh:

Some of the most fun times I've had were with friends, tokin', and laughing until my stomach hurt.  I remember when Saturday Night Live first came on, we'd get together and get high and watch it - and it was hilarious! 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 04:56:35 pm »

My BiL is a massive jerk. He doesn't use any drugs.

Being a jerk is independent of drug use, but being a junkie makes one an undesirable.

Marijuana use does no create junkies per se.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 04:57:32 pm »

Winner! Winner!

Chicken dinner!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 05:06:24 pm »
Midnight Special (started 1972)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midnight_Special_(TV_series)

Saturday Night Live (started 1975)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live

Those were the days.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 06:38:55 pm »
Marijuana use does no create junkies per se.
Good grief. I didn't say that it did.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 07:14:21 pm »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ Let's face it, if you're in your 60's you grew up in the 60's and probably used. In my group we didn't use alcohol, instead we used every other chemical that happened to be circulating the streets that day... ]]

I've never been high.
I've never been drunk.

I wes probably one of a very few who went to the original Woodstock festival in 1969, and didn't try drugs or grass, and didn't even drink.

I'm probably the only person you'll meet in your life who (as a soldier, no less) went to the Hoffbrau Haus in Munich -- one of the most famous beer halls anywhere -- and had a "cola" with my pizza. No beer for me.

Approaching 70, I see no reason to change my ways now...

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 07:19:41 pm »
aligncare wrote above:
[[ Let's face it, if you're in your 60's you grew up in the 60's and probably used. In my group we didn't use alcohol, instead we used every other chemical that happened to be circulating the streets that day... ]]

I've never been high.
I've never been drunk.

I wes probably one of a very few who went to the original Woodstock festival in 1969, and didn't try drugs or grass, and didn't even drink.

I'm probably the only person you'll meet in your life who (as a soldier, no less) went to the Hoffbrau Haus in Munich -- one of the most famous beer halls anywhere -- and had a "cola" with my pizza. No beer for me.

Approaching 70, I see no reason to change my ways now...

Fishrrman....I wouldn't doubt that for a moment.     :chairbang:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 09:52:54 pm »
Good grief. I didn't say that it did.

Nor was I suggesting that you did, I just didn't make myself clear.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 04:00:31 am »

Offline Paladin

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 04:28:29 am »
By a show of hands, who here has smoked marijuana

Just saw this. In fact, just read the thread.

In my misspent yoot I was a bartender and threw back more than my share, However, like Alicewonder (post #21) I did some remarkably stupid things when drunk and I seriously hated the next morning feeling. Then along came Mary, courtesy of a good friend, and I essentially quit drinking (occasional brandy is all) and stayed stoned for several years. I enjoyed the high and had no serious after effects. Not sure just why I quit, nor even when. I just stopped.

Now I am as pure as the driven snow (well, close anyway). Rarely booze, no cannabis, don't gamble...I am just so boring.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 05:06:07 am »
Just saw this. In fact, just read the thread.

In my misspent yoot I was a bartender and threw back more than my share, However, like Alicewonder (post #21) I did some remarkably stupid things when drunk and I seriously hated the next morning feeling. Then along came Mary, courtesy of a good friend, and I essentially quit drinking (occasional brandy is all) and stayed stoned for several years. I enjoyed the high and had no serious after effects. Not sure just why I quit, nor even when. I just stopped.

Now I am as pure as the driven snow (well, close anyway). Rarely booze, no cannabis, don't gamble...I am just so boring.

I quit because A) my wife demanded that I quit because B) we had kids, and C) it became more and more difficult to source safely.

The last time I had any, it was way stronger than anything we had "back in the day".

Offline aligncare

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 11:22:22 am »
What I hate most regarding this issue is the hypocrisy and ignorance.  In terms of health, alcohol is devastating with no comparison to cannabinol. Yet, alcohol is legal while people have been jailed for using weed. Weed is a walk in the park in it's effects on an individual's life compared to getting sucked into the criminal justice system. That's what's stupid and destructive.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 11:41:36 am »
What I hate most regarding this issue is the hypocrisy and ignorance.  In terms of health, alcohol is devastating with no comparison to cannabinol. Yet, alcohol is legal while people have been jailed for using weed. Weed is a walk in the park in it's effects on an individual's life compared to getting sucked into the criminal justice system. That's what's stupid and destructive.

It comes down to the fact, that unlike alcohol, which requires a process to 'create', marijuana could be grown out back with the tomatoes and corn.

The government cannot control it, so the best way to not have their version of a 'Zombie Apocalypse' is to outlaw and/or regulate it.

We all 'know' and believe that it's healthier than alcohol, etc..  We wonder...were people not aware of that before we were born?  Are WE the enlightened ones? 

Like you said there are way too many people, of all colors, behind bars for dealing/using marijuana.  They should all be released.  Especially when you can drive across an intersection and suddenly be in a State where it's legal. 

It should be legalized and taxed.   They could probably pay for Obamacare and lower everyone's premiums.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2015, 11:46:56 am »

I don't know how to state it correctly but you know what's in alcohol, the potency aspect.  50 proof = 25% alcohol.  The level of THC and other chemicals varies from plant to plant, bud to bud.  Synthetic THC is different from the stuff you smoke.
Knowing what's going into your body is NOT hypocrisy, it's wise health.  The hypocrisy is based on lower social status (not sure if that's the proper term) of the user.  In the United States, most marijuana use was Mexicans and Blacks, prior to the mid-1950s.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2015, 11:48:58 am »
It comes down to the fact, that unlike alcohol, which requires a process to 'create', marijuana could be grown out back with the tomatoes and corn.

The government cannot control it, so the best way to not have their version of a 'Zombie Apocalypse' is to outlaw and/or regulate it.

We all 'know' and believe that it's healthier than alcohol, etc..  We wonder...were people not aware of that before we were born?  Are WE the enlightened ones? 

Like you said there are way too many people, of all colors, behind bars for dealing/using marijuana.  They should all be released.  Especially when you can drive across an intersection and suddenly be in a State where it's legal. 

It should be legalized and taxed.   They could probably pay for Obamacare and lower everyone's premiums.   :laugh:

I don't know if growing it with the tomatoes and corn is right.  "Home grown" was a derogatory in my youth.  Have you noticed the "best" pot comes where the "best" coffee is grown?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2015, 11:59:35 am »
I don't know if growing it with the tomatoes and corn is right.  "Home grown" was a derogatory in my youth.  Have you noticed the "best" pot comes where the "best" coffee is grown?

You're right, ONC!

But all I can afford today is "skunk weed".  $125 @ ounce.   It grows all over Maryland/DC.

Not very potent, but at 69 years, it's good enough for what I want it to do.   :laugh:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2015, 01:18:01 pm »

I disagree.  There's all sorts of downside when government gets involved in things. I don't want private, victimless activities enmeshed in politics – please, no.