Author Topic: Why Americans Are Turning Against Free Trade....David Frum  (Read 1326 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why Americans Are Turning Against Free Trade....David Frum
« on: June 14, 2015, 02:01:55 pm »
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/-tpp-tpa-defeated/395792/

Why Americans Are Turning Against Free Trade

When the proceeds of growth are not widely shared, the consensus in favor of pro-growth measures cracks.

David Frum Jun 12, 2015

A decade and a half ago, I filled my days writing speeches urging Congress to grant President George W. Bush fast-track trade authority. If memory serves, I wrote more speeches on that one subject than on any other. Obviously, I didn’t earn my pay: Despite Republican majorities in both Houses, Congress balked.

This past year, President Obama has worked as hard for fast-track authority as President Bush ever did. It now seems that his efforts will prove as unavailing. This time, if anything, the loss is even more heartbreaking, because the prize in reach is bigger than anything on offer in 2001-2002: a Trans-Pacific Partnership on trade.

TPP matters both to the American economy and to American security. China’s admission to the World Trade Organization in 2001 was necessary and unavoidable. How can you sustain a multilateral-trade regime without including the world’s largest exporter and second-largest importer? But the price of China’s inclusion in the WTO was the paralysis of the multilateral trade regime that had evolved since the 1940s: Trade-liberalization negotiations that included China just became too difficult.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership tries to work around China’s obstructionism by limiting the next round of trade liberalization to 11 highly congenial countries: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States, and Vietnam. Not all are liberal democracies, but all are committed to a more open global-trading regime. Even more than the U.S.-Canada trade agreement of 1988, which was widened to include Mexico in 1994, TPP is intended to be an “open architecture” agreement, to which other countries can adhere in future if they so wish. In other words, while the door is open to China, the house is being built to non-Chinese specifications and without China’s veto. Since the TPP states together represent not only 40 percent of the world economy, but also many of China’s largest trade partners, the agreement will constrain China’s future trade behavior. TPP thus asserts Western and American will and power against an often-recalcitrant China.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Why Americans Are Turning Against Free Trade....David Frum
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 03:20:22 am »
Is it free trade when we shackle ourselves and give other countries a pass and free reign? Then our govt stacks the regs and laws on business and make us very uncompetitive. Level the playing field and we might begin to trust the idea of free trade again.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:03:43 am »
If the GOP was not so inept, so tied to big businesses, it wouldn't be the subject for debate.

As it is the bill requires "Adjustment" for "Displaced" American workers.

American wages have gone steadily down, and the political elites have arranged the economy to the benefit of foreigners, and business interests.

Many wonder if Heidi Cruz can explain how Goldman Sachs "monetizes" those benefits, and rewards their top executives.

More and more people notice these politicos starting with a degree, a first elected office, and a few years later they have net worth in 8 figures, on government salaries.

Please note Hillary had the political savvy to take the oppose position. And apparently all but one of the GOP wizards take the support position.

Eventually making the wrong choices in politics renders you a losing entity. I'm predicting a Hillary win, and democrat Senate majority as well, at this time.

I simply see the GOP all over the map, but too often where the voters are NOT.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 12:21:10 pm »
If the GOP was not so inept, so tied to big businesses, it wouldn't be the subject for debate.

As it is the bill requires "Adjustment" for "Displaced" American workers.

American wages have gone steadily down, and the political elites have arranged the economy to the benefit of foreigners, and business interests.

Many wonder if Heidi Cruz can explain how Goldman Sachs "monetizes" those benefits, and rewards their top executives.

More and more people notice these politicos starting with a degree, a first elected office, and a few years later they have net worth in 8 figures, on government salaries.

Please note Hillary had the political savvy to take the oppose position. And apparently all but one of the GOP wizards take the support position.

Eventually making the wrong choices in politics renders you a losing entity. I'm predicting a Hillary win, and democrat Senate majority as well, at this time.

I simply see the GOP all over the map, but too often where the voters are NOT.

Wages go down as workers become unnecessary.  When Personnel Offices became Human Resource Departments it was the beginning of the end.  The value of a "resource" is based upon supply and demand.  Demand for human workers diminishes with each day.  How does it feel to be obsolete?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:12:47 pm »
Maybe because many realize there is nothing 'free' about many 'free trade' treaties. They usually are only liberating for foreign countries and put shackles on domestic industry. I fully support free trade, I just haven't seen any actual free trade going on in a long time.