Author Topic: Totalitarianism on Campus: UC Professors Instructed Not to Say ‘ America is the Land of Opportunity’  (Read 987 times)

Offline Paladin

If I didn’t know any better, I would say that this article at The College Fix is clever satire, but what is going on under University of California President Janet Napolitano is all too real and part of a growing trend of totalitarianism on campus.

Standard conservative ideas have become verboten at some universities where offering a right-of-center opinion about American  life is considered a “microaggression.” (Interesting: Spell-check doesn’t consider “microaggression” a real word. How’s that for a microaggression?)

“America is the land of opportunity,” “There is only one race, the human race” and “I believe the most qualified person should get the job” are among a long list of alleged microaggressions faculty leaders of the University of California system have been instructed not to say.

These so-called microaggressions – considered examples of subconscious racism – were presented at faculty leader training sessions held throughout the 2014-15 school year at nine of the 10 UC campuses. The sessions, an initiative of UC President Janet Napolitano, aim to teach how to avoid offending students and peers, as well as how to hire a more diverse faculty.

At the gatherings, deans and department chairs across the UC system have been instructed to be careful using (read: instructed not to use) phrases such as “America is the land of opportunity” or even use forms that provide only “male” and “female” check boxes, among a long litany of supposed microaggressions listed in a document underlying the “Faculty Leadership Seminars.”

The document has drawn little scrutiny until now, when a professor in the UC system pointed it out toThe College Fix. The professor chose not to attend the seminars, but myriad materials on the UC Office of the President (UCOP) website give indication as to what sort of lessons were taught there.

Other sayings deemed unacceptable include:

● “Everyone can succeed in this society, if they work hard enough.”

● “Where are you from or where were you born?”

● “Affirmative action is racist.”

● “When I look at you, I don’t see color.”

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/06/11/totalitarianism-on-campus-uc-professors-instructed-not-to-say-america-is-the-land-of-opportunity/

Would it surprise you to know this anti-free speech policy is the brainchild of former Obama admin Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano? No, I suppose it wouldn't, would it?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Yeah, but can they read or write?  That's what I'd to know. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

Well, there's a grain of truth there.  Since Obama's been President, America hasn't exactly been a land of opportunity, now has it?   :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Yeah, but can they read or write?  That's what I'd to know.

One thing's for sure.

They can't find Florida or Texas on a map of the United States..... 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EdinVA

It is not just happening on campus, it is happening all across society.
Your current/prospective employer watches your facebook and blog posts to make hire/fire decisions.

Offline ArneFufkin

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/06/11/totalitarianism-on-campus-uc-professors-instructed-not-to-say-america-is-the-land-of-opportunity/

Would it surprise you to know this anti-free speech policy is the brainchild of former Obama admin Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano? No, I suppose it wouldn't, would it?

For optimal 24 X7 student indoctrination this missive can be purchased framed, canvas wrapped or in metal print:

http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/winthroproberts/media/UCMicro-1024x496_zpspymy4apo.jpg.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:04:30 pm by ArneFufkin »