Author Topic: Women are not capable of understanding ‘GoodFellas’  (Read 462 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Women are not capable of understanding ‘GoodFellas’
« on: June 11, 2015, 03:41:22 am »
Women are not capable of understanding ‘GoodFellas’
Kyle Smith

The first time I saw “GoodFellas,” on a rented Blockbuster videotape in 1991, I was in a daze as the final credits rolled. If I had been a cartoon character, I would have had stars dancing around my head like Wile E. Coyote. I turned to my girlfriend and said, “What’d you think?”

“Boy movie,” she declared — and I knew our relationship was doomed.

Just kidding. (We split up because I was a jerk.) But women don’t get “GoodFellas.” It’s not really a crime drama, like “The Godfather.” It’s more of a male fantasy picture — “Entourage” with guns instead of swimming pools, the Rat Pack minus tuxedos.

“GoodFellas,” which starting next week will have a 25th anniversary showing at the Film Forum on Houston Street, and whose 25th anniversary Blu-ray DVD just hit the streets, takes place in a world guys dream about. Way down deep in the reptile brain, Henry Hill (Ray Liotta), Jimmy the Gent (Robert De Niro) and Tommy (Joe Pesci) are exactly what guys want to be: lazy but powerful, deadly but funny, tough, unsentimental and devoted above all to their brothers — a small group of guys who will always have your back. Women sense that they are irrelevant to this fantasy, and it bothers them.

more at link:

http://nypost.com/2015/06/10/sorry-ladies-youll-never-understand-why-guys-love-goodfellas/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

Re: Women are not capable of understanding ‘GoodFellas’
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 06:32:59 pm »
BEST Gangster movie, EVER!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:44:40 pm »
 Is that supposed to funny? Is this article supposed to amuse me?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:12 pm »
Okay, good for a laugh or two in movies.

But I think that most Italian Americans prefer to be identified as law abiding, hard working citizens, not idle gangsters, hoodlums, etc.

At least that is the case in my wife's family. Remember, it was Giuliani (and some other Italian Americans on his staff) that put away several top NYC crime families.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 07:20:28 pm »
It's pretty amazing that the people portrayed are scumbags. But somehow, I love watching it, and root for the bad guys. I love gangster movies.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 07:37:07 pm »
Okay, good for a laugh or two in movies.

But I think that most Italian Americans prefer to be identified as law abiding, hard working citizens, not idle gangsters, hoodlums, etc.

At least that is the case in my wife's family. Remember, it was Giuliani (and some other Italian Americans on his staff) that put away several top NYC crime families.

Who the hell cares what most Italian Americans prefer?

The fact is that the Italian mob aka Mafia was real.  And wherever they set up shop, the people never had to lock their doors at night.

And the portrayal of said characters was 100% real. 

My Sicilian grandmother had the local Godfather (ruled over Western NY and Niagara Falls) over for dinner on special occasions.  Weddings, graduations, Confirmations...and funerals.  Stefano Maggadino as well as Joseph Bonanna.

Two of my classmates in high school were highly connected.  Always wonder if they lived to a ripe old age....like me.  LOL!

A terrific movie with a fabulous cast.

Two big thumbs up! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald