Author Topic: New US Trainers Will Be Going Into the Most Dangerous Areas of Iraq to Counter ISIS  (Read 1723 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=649906

Newsmax
New US Trainers Will Be Going Into the Most Dangerous Areas of Iraq to Counter ISIS
Wednesday, June 10, 2015 06:50 PM

By: REUTERS

President Barack Obama on Wednesday ordered the deployment of 450 more U.S. troops to Iraq's Sunni heartland to advise and assist fragile Iraqi forces being built up to try to retake territory lost to Islamic State.

The plan to expand the 3,100-strong U.S. contingent in Iraq and open a new operations center closer to the fighting in Anbar province marks an adjustment in strategy for Obama, who has faced mounting pressure to do more to blunt the momentum of the insurgents.

But with Obama sticking to his refusal to send troops into combat or to the front lines, the White House announcement failed to silence critics who say the limited U.S. military role in the conflict is not enough to turn the tide of battle.

U.S. officials hope that a strengthened American presence on the ground in Anbar will help the Iraqi military devise and carry out a counter-attack to retake the provincial capital Ramadi, which insurgents seized last month in an onslaught that further exposed the shortcomings of the Iraqi army.

The U.S. advisers, who will be injected into the heart of one of the most hotly contested areas of the Islamic State campaign, will offer tactical advice to Iraqi officers on how to conduct their operations, the Pentagon said.

A complex challenge for the U.S. troops, who will establish a training hub at the Taqaddum military base only about 15 miles (25 km) from Ramadi, will be their outreach to Sunni tribal fighters, many of whom do not trust the Shi'ite-led government in Baghdad.

U.S. officials want to integrate them into the Iraqi army and reduce its reliance on Iran-backed Shi'ite militias who have also joined the fight against Islamic State.

Obama decided on the new troop deployment in response to a request from Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi, the White House said. The two leaders met while attending the G7 summit in Germany earlier this week.

"To improve the capabilities and effectiveness of partners on the ground, the president authorized the deployment of up to 450 additional U.S. military personnel to train, advise and assist Iraqi Security Forces," the White House said in a statement.

Obama also ordered "the expedited delivery of essential equipment and materiel" to Iraqi forces, including Kurdish peshmerga troops and Sunni fighters operating under Iraqi command, the White House said.

It made the announcement two days after Obama said the United States did not yet have a complete strategy for training Iraqi security forces to regain land lost to Islamic State fighters, who have seized a third of Iraq over the past year in a campaign marked by mass killings and beheadings.

The fall of Ramadi last month drew harsh U.S. criticism of the Iraqi military's retreat from the city. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said that Iraqi forces showed "no will to fight".

SEEKING TO SPEED UP FLOW OF TRAINEES

U.S. forces have already conducted training at the al-Asad military base in western Anbar, and the new site will focus more on advising Iraqi forces on operations in what one U.S. official described as an effort to "buck up the ranks".

The Pentagon said the first of the new troops will arrive at Taqaddum, in eastern Anbar, within a few days from forces already in the country. The base will also be used to help guide Iraqi efforts to reclaim Fallujah, a nearby city the militants have held for more than a year, U.S. officials said.

Still, Obama's new plan stops short of some of the more assertive steps demanded by his conservative critics at home, such as putting U.S. spotters in forward positions to call in air strikes or embedding American advisers with Iraqi forces in combat.

U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner said Obama's plan to send additional U.S. military personnel to train Iraqi forces was a "step in the right direction," but not a sufficient strategy to defeat Islamic State.

"It's clear that our training mission alone has not been enough," the Republican lawmaker said.

John McCain, Republican chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said: "I remain deeply concerned that this new deployment is disconnected from any coherent strategy to defeat ISIL."

With the latest adjustments, Obama is deviating only slightly from his policy of relying on a bombing campaign and local forces without committing large-scale U.S. troops. His options are hemmed in by a deep aversion to seeing America drawn back into Iraq after pulling out U.S. forces in 2011.

Ben Rhodes, Obama's deputy national security adviser, said the president recognized the "inherent risk" of attack that the new U.S. contingent could face in volatile Anbar and insisted that security precautions were being taken.

U.S. officials took pains to insist that Wednesday's announcement did not amount to an overhaul of Obama's anti-Islamic State strategy, but they left open the possibility of further unspecified steps.

"The president hasn't ruled out any additional steps," Rhodes told reporters on a conference call. "He's always open to considering refinements."

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
This is going to be a failure. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Right_in_Virginia

This is going to be more American body bags from Iraq.   **nononono*

Offline kevindavis007

This is going to be more American body bags from Iraq.   **nononono*

and they can't blame this on Bush...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
New US Trainers Will Be Going Into the Most Dangerous Areas of Iraq to Counter ISIS

For what? We already have more than one trainer per trainee there. Just more smoke if you ask me!

And BTW! Why don't we just tell ISIS exactly how many there are and exactly where they will be going?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:23:49 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Alice wrote above:
[[ This is going to be a failure ]]

Beat me to saying the same thing, which I thought as soon as I read the first few lines of the original article above.

The "Iraqi" army is never going to defeat isis.
Half of them will eventually JOIN isis.
The other half will run away...

Offline alicewonders

Alice wrote above:
[[ This is going to be a failure ]]

Beat me to saying the same thing, which I thought as soon as I read the first few lines of the original article above.

The "Iraqi" army is never going to defeat isis.
Half of them will eventually JOIN isis.
The other half will run away...

Sounds to me like another order ISIS is putting in, for more soldier training, weapons and a new military base with equipment. 

I posted a video the other day - of Obama basically ignoring the Iraqi PM.  He could care less about Iraq - except to help to bring it into the Caliphate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNUFkREBJAU

Barack Obama Ignores & Snubs Iraqi PM Haider at G7 Summit, Awkward Moment [FULL RAW VIDEO]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNUFkREBJAU

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Read or heard elsewhere that the shortage is NOT with trainers; the shortage IS with volunteers to be trained.

Bush and then Obama have pursued the belief that the people of Iraq want a modern democratic unified country, and are willing to fight for it.

Hence almost from the initial 2003 invasion, the plan was to train locals to take over security.

Bush erred badly following Rumsfeld with far too few troops. Sure, they could achieve the short term illusion of taking over, when in fact the locals just faded into waiting mode.

Obama doesn't have much longer, to put on his half-measure show. His legacy will be built on the idea that Bush's ill-advised initial invasion left him with an impossible task; withdraw yet help the Iraqis, who will not help themselves.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline olde north church

Read or heard elsewhere that the shortage is NOT with trainers; the shortage IS with volunteers to be trained.

Bush and then Obama have pursued the belief that the people of Iraq want a modern democratic unified country, and are willing to fight for it.

Hence almost from the initial 2003 invasion, the plan was to train locals to take over security.

Bush erred badly following Rumsfeld with far too few troops. Sure, they could achieve the short term illusion of taking over, when in fact the locals just faded into waiting mode.

Obama doesn't have much longer, to put on his half-measure show. His legacy will be built on the idea that Bush's ill-advised initial invasion left him with an impossible task; withdraw yet help the Iraqis, who will not help themselves.

Bush, like most other Christians, has no idea how the world really works. 

ONC's "Iraq Plan":

1.  Isolate Iraq, Syria, Iran.
2.  Rain continuous Hellfire.
3.  Repeat.
4.  Spread photographs globally.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mountaineer

The phrase "sitting ducks" comes to mind. Our men probably won't be permitted to defend themselves, either.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Rather uncomfortably so at present.

Can't your lot keep their damned mouths shut for 5 BLOODY MINUTES!!!!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Rather uncomfortably so at present.

Can't your lot keep their damned mouths shut for 5 BLOODY MINUTES!!!!

Unfortunately at present the answer to your question is no! They cannot nor do they want to!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ArneFufkin

So, Obama's bold stroke to stem this retreat is to insert 450 advisers?

I'll bet he's ordered the deployment of 10 times that many uniformed soldiers to serve as honor guards in local Pride Day celebrations this month.

Offline mountaineer

So, Obama's bold stroke to stem this retreat is to insert 450 advisers?

I'll bet he's ordered the deployment of 10 times that many uniformed soldiers to serve as honor guards in local Pride Day celebrations this month.
More than that are busily fighting the Battle of Global Warming, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

It seems isis has ordered for more advice.

Offline alicewonders

And are they still fighting Ebola too?

Offline musiclady

and they can't blame this on Bush...

But they will.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Sounds to me like another order ISIS is putting in, for more soldier training, weapons and a new military base with equipment. 

I posted a video the other day - of Obama basically ignoring the Iraqi PM.  He could care less about Iraq - except to help to bring it into the Caliphate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNUFkREBJAU

Barack Obama Ignores & Snubs Iraqi PM Haider at G7 Summit, Awkward Moment [FULL RAW VIDEO]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNUFkREBJAU

Wow.  What a total jerk this guy is.

(Not that we didn't know that before...... )

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Unfortunately at present the answer to your question is no! They cannot nor do they want to!
And you'll recall Texan GW Bush's conduct of war, whereby his Generals announced IN ADVANCE their "Shock and Awe?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

Wow.  What a total jerk this guy is.

(Not that we didn't know that before...... )

Yeah, he reaffirms it every single day, and he's rubbing our faces in it - he doesn't even care to pretend!

Offline ArneFufkin

If I were one of the unlucky "advisers" dropped into the middle of that mess to serve my CiC's transparent charade my "advice" to the Iraqis would be "Under no circumstances trust this American President to honor his word or perform his duty."

Offline ArneFufkin

And you'll recall Texan GW Bush's conduct of war, whereby his Generals announced IN ADVANCE their "Shock and Awe?"

The intent of Shock and Awe was to destroy infrastructure.  The Saddam regime couldn't just pack up their ministry buildings and command and control centers and high-tail out of town with them intact.    The announcement permitted Iraqi civilians just enough time to abandon the targets and save innocent lives.

The subsequent surge of boots on the ground forces was meant to kill Saddam's army and overthrow his regime.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:51:22 pm by ArneFufkin »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
If I were one of the unlucky "advisers" dropped into the middle of that mess to serve my CiC's transparent charade my "advice" to the Iraqis would be "Under no circumstances trust this American President to honor his word or perform his duty."

The whole world knows that already. The only people on Earth who have not caught onto to Obama and what he is are American Liberals and the American media.

Everyone else thinks Obama is at best 'a joke', and at worst something much more sinister.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ArneFufkin

It's too absurdly insignificant to be either a success or failure.  It's a bunch of nothing.  It's a Kabuki Dance faithfully reported and seriously analyzed by a corrupt media to pretend that this President actually cares and is paying attention.    He doesn't, and he's not.

Offline musiclady

The intent of Shock and Awe was to destroy infrastructure.  The Saddam regime couldn't just pack up their ministry buildings and command and control centers and high-tail out of town with them intact.    The announcement permitted Iraqi civilians just enough time to abandon the targets and save innocent lives.

The subsequent surge of boots on the ground forces was meant to kill Saddam's army and overthrow his regime.

Thank  you for that important bit of TRUTH, Arne!   :patriot: