Author Topic: Amtrak Mystery: Crash probe finds no mechanical trouble, official cites ‘human factor’  (Read 340 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/02/amtrak-mystery-crash-probe-finds-no-mechanical-trouble-official-cites-human/

Federal investigators said Tuesday they've so far found no mechanical problems with the train systems at the site of last month's deadly Amtrak derailment outside Philadelphia -- leaving one top official pointing to the "human factor."

The National Transportation Safety Board released what it called "preliminary" findings in a brief report Tuesday morning, as officials also provided an update to Congress during a House committee hearing.

The report said "investigators have examined the train braking systems, signals, and track geometry" and so far, "no anomalies have been noted."

During the House Transportation Committee hearing, Federal Railroad Administration head Sarah Feinberg stressed that a cause has not officially been determined for the May 12 crash that killed eight and sent more than 200 to the hospital.

But she testified that speed was a significant factor, and said that is a "human factor."

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The engineman on 188 (from what I've read elsewhere) had only gotten qualified on that territory two or three weeks previous to the derailment.

What this means is that he was relatively "new to the territory", and even though he'd made the qualifying trips and had "been ridden" to get certified on the route, again, it was still "new to him".

The territory between New York and Washington is probably the busiest stretch of railroad in the Western Hemisphere -- packed with speed changes, multiple speeds on the same stretch of track (Amtrak actually has "A", "B", "C", "D" and "E" speeds on each track for wherever you are).

Even when you've made the qualifying runs, it takes a while to really get comfortable with the territory so that you "know where you are" without thinking too much about it.

There was a time when you could blindfold me and drop me anywhere on the New Haven line (NY to New Haven CT), take the blindfold off, and I could tell you just where I was.

My guess is that the engineman on 188 (considering he had a difficult trip down to DC and not a lot of "turnaround time") was a bit on the tired side. Combine that with his fresness on the territory, and I believe after he passed North Philadelphia he "lost his sense of where he was" for a moment, thinking that the straight stretch of track he was on was "already past" the curves at Frankford Jct. So.... he began to accelerate (I think speed past the Jct. would have been either 100 or 110 for his train), without realizing that he still had a 50mph "S-curve" still in front of him.

When he saw the 50mph curve coming up (his train speed now around 106mph), he dumped it (put it into emergency).

But by then it was too late, and the curve got him.

As simple as that...