Author Topic: English Teacher: I Won’t Teach Shakespeare Because He’s White  (Read 1103 times)

rangerrebew

English Teacher: I Won’t Teach Shakespeare Because He’s White

Robert Gehl 
June 14, 2015

A California High School English teacher doesn’t plan to teach Shakespeare because he’s white.

In a column in The Washington Post, Sacramento teacher Dana Dusbiber said she avoids plays like Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet because her minority students don’t need to study a “long-dead British guy.”

Obsessed with the fact that Shakespeare is white (so is Dusbiber, by the way), Dusbiber can’t fathom why anybody would teach Shakespeare in an English class.

What I worry about is that as long as we continue to cling to ONE (white) MAN’S view of life as he lived it so long ago, we (perhaps unwittingly) promote the notion that other cultural perspectives are less important. In the 25 years that I have been a secondary teacher, I have heard countless times, from respected teachers (mostly white), that they will ALWAYS teach Shakespeare, because our students need Shakespeare and his teachings on the human condition.

Of course, this can’t have anything to do with the personal bias Dusbiber has against Shakespeare, could it?

“ … I dislike Shakespeare because of my own personal disinterest in reading stories written in an early form of the English language that I cannot always easily navigate …”

Oh, ok. Dana … Good idea. Take your illiterate inability to understand Shakespeare and foist that on your schoolchildren.

Genius.

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/english-teacher-i-wont-teach-shakespeare-because-hes-white
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:17:57 am by rangerrebew »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: English Teacher: I Won’t Teach Shakespeare Because He’s White
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:49:15 am »
 Betcha she couldn't even spell 'Shakespeare'.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:33:25 pm »
Teach the kiddies it's really "Shaka" Speare and the play he wrote is "Roquan and Julisha." Voila, no white privilege.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:15:03 pm »
That's pretty presumptuous on her part. How does she know what race he identified with on the inside. He may have been a Moor trapped in an Englishman's body for all she knows. It isn't for her to judge how someone identifies himself.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 11:06:19 pm »
Teacher: I Don’t Teach Shakespeare Because He’s White

Blake Neff
The Daily Caller
June 14, 2015

The Washington Post has published a guest article by a California teacher arguing that American high school students shouldn’t read Shakespeare because he’s a dead, white man.

Dana Dusbiber, who teaches English in Sacramento, says she avoids Hamlet and all the rest because her minority students shouldn’t be expected to study a “a long-dead, British guy” (Dusbiber herself is white). And while Shakespeare is widely regarded as the premier writer of the English language, able to timelessly portray themes central to the human experience, Dusbiber says he only is regarded that way because “some white people” ordained it and he can easily be replaced.
More

Teacher: Why I don’t want to assign Shakespeare anymore (even though he’s in the Common Core)

Teacher: Why it is ridiculous not to teach Shakespeare in school

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:41:40 am »
Nitwit.

Shakespeare is an integral part of that limited canon which comprises the intellectual heritage of the West. Not to know some Shakespeare is to be not fully educated.

Btw, the Bible is also a fundamental part of that canon. Not to know it is also intellectually limiting.

This "teacher" ought be dismissed immediately.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.