Author Topic: Dems hope for Cruz, fear Bush  (Read 15324 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Dems hope for Cruz, fear Bush
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »
You can try splitting hairs, but I've made my point.  We frequently tend to use the term "hyperbole" to counter something we disagree with.

Suggesting that Bruce Jenner is a hero of today, which would make him a hero to all is hyperbole.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2015, 04:56:53 pm »
BTW, I don't see acceptance of SSM after millennia of non-acceptance as constituting a "sudden shift".

It's more a factor of the people who opposed it dying off and being replaced by people who are more likely to accept change than not. And after all, all organic societal change is liberal in nature.

I would call any such dramatic shift in opinion only 3 or 4 years ago after millennia a sudden shift.  But who's counting?  Again, most conservatives have accepted it regardless of how they personally feel.  It's the rest of it that is turning into the elephant in the room.  It's happening in our schools, our theaters, the kids' rooms, the playground, and everywhere that the left has influence.  And since no one seems to really be talking about it, it simply continues and is thus the elephant in the room.  It's far more than gay marriage.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2015, 05:12:24 pm »
Suggesting that Bruce Jenner is a hero of today, which would make him a hero to all is hyperbole.

No one is a hero to all.  That is hyperbole.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2015, 05:56:06 pm »
No one is a hero to all.  That is hyperbole.

So then, what is " the hero of today" if not a hero to all today?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2015, 07:04:52 pm »
So then, what is " the hero of today" if not a hero to all today?

Was that a serious question?  Matthew Shepard was considered a hero of his day, while at the same time young Jesse Dirkhising also murdered in that period was totally ignored.  Unfortunately the first anniversary of Shepard's death was taking place, and there was no room in the press for a preteen boy tortured and murdered by two black gays. 

But I won't argue your point that there can be no heroes of the day unless they are a hero to every living person. Choose another word, but the meaning remains.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:55 pm »
Was that a serious question?  Matthew Shepard was considered a hero of his day, while at the same time young Jesse Dirkhising also murdered in that period was totally ignored.  Unfortunately the first anniversary of Shepard's death was taking place, and there was no room in the press for a preteen boy tortured and murdered by two black gays. 

But I won't argue your point that there can be no heroes of the day unless they are a hero to every living person. Choose another word, but the meaning remains.

To who exactly?

I, along with millions, thought that Shepard's murder was wrong. Didn't you?

Don't you think that someone getting tortured, beaten and left to die because of their sexual orientation is wrong?

Doesn't Shepard deserve pity for the manner in which his life ended?

Answering "yes" to either question does not make Shepard a hero. It makes him a victim.

Yes, Dirkhising's murder received less press, then again, there were many other murders that took place between the two which received little or no press at all.

Getting press coverage makes one notorious, not a hero.

Shepard became a symbol to some, not a "hero of his day."

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:26:28 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2015, 07:40:03 pm »
To who exactly?

I, along with millions, thought that Shepard's murder was wrong. Didn't you?

Don't you think that someone getting tortured, beaten and left to die because of their sexual orientation is wrong?

Doesn't Shepard deserve pity for the manner in which his life ended?

Answering "yes" to either question does not make Shepard a hero. It makes him a victim.

Yes, Dirkhising's murder received less press, then again, there were many other murders that took place between the two which received little or no press at all.

Getting press coverage makes one notorious, not a hero.

Shepard became a symbol to some, not a "hero of his day."

You use your term, I'll use mine.  We both know exactly what I'm talking about. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2015, 08:09:19 pm »
You use your term, I'll use mine.  We both know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yes we do.

Hyperbole.

:seeya:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2015, 09:44:56 pm »

Indeed.  Would prefer getting back to substance.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2015, 12:51:07 am »
What I actually said was that there was no one who was going to beat Johnson so soon after Kennedy's death and the establishment has taken  FULL advantage of that fact by attempting to attribute Goldwater's loss to his conservatism rather than the circumstances.

OK,  I see the distinction now.  Thanx for clarifying.