Author Topic: 2016 GOP field grows more crowded  (Read 1380 times)

Online mountaineer

2016 GOP field grows more crowded
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:07 pm »
George Pataki to announce presidential bid Thursday\
By Marisa Schultz
May 25, 2015 | 7:04pm
NY Post
WASHINGTON – Ignoring the polls and pundits, former New York Gov. George Pataki plans to announce Thursday that he’s joining the crowded Republican field for president.

The three-term governor will unveil his candidacy in Exeter, N.H., – which claims the birthplace of the Republican Party – and join a group of contenders who are inching toward the 20 mark.

Skeptics abound about Pataki’s chances.

He doesn’t register on national polls and has been out of elected office for nearly a decade.

“I just don’t see where he could win,” GOP consultant Ed Rollins told The Post. “I’m not sure he could win in New York anymore.”

But Pataki says he’s undeterred by the odds.

“It will be a very stiff climb up a very steep mountain, but that hasn’t stopped me in the past,” Pataki said in an interview.

Pataki is putting most of his chips on a strong showing in New Hampshire – a state he’s visited more than any presidential contender.

The first-in-the-nation primary is a key test for the conservative Republican field and is open to the large contingent of independent voters who could favor a moderate like Pataki, who is
 pro-choice and has a record of tightening gun laws and environmental protections.

“I’m a Republican following in the tradition of Teddy Roosevelt who understands that conservatism isn’t just economic policy and but it’s also preserving and enhancing the outdoors,” Pataki said, arguing that decisions like marriage, gun rights and education should be left up to the states.

Pataki’s super PAC has been up with ads in New Hampshire. He’s met with longtime donors in New York and Florida about his presidential hopes. And he got a nudge to run from the Republican county chairs in New York City last week.

Pataki believes his can succeed with retail politics and so does one supporter, Alissa Tweedie, a 35-year-old Navy veteran from New Hampshire.

“The more time the governor spends here, the better he is doing,” said Tweedie, who likes Pataki’s record on charter schools, national security and leadership.

“He meets with groups of any size without any pretenses – no scripting here. I think many have underestimated him and I think that’s just where he wants to be.”

Pataki will have an uphill climb to make the national stage. For the first GOP debate Aug. 6, Fox News will only accept the top 10 candidates based on polling – and Pataki isn’t even
 registering on national polls. One New Hampshire poll this month didn’t even include him as an option.

“Right now, Gov. Pataki is on everyone’s list of also-rans. That’s remarkable to say about a three-term governor of New York who was a prominent part of 9/11, but it’s true,” said Larry Sabato, director of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia.
Are we up to 22 GOP contenders yet? Let's play some football!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PzLdr

Re: 2016 GOP field grows more crowded
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:26:27 pm »
As a New Yorker who lived through "Gorgeous George's" governorship, "Whoopee F*cuckin' Doo!"
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:45:50 pm »
The egos on these critters are huge.

They're legends in their own minds.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:35:42 pm »
Kasich is soon to announce, I suspect. And thank goodness for Graham and Santorum. More candidates, quick!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:39:17 pm »
I might as well announce that I'm running as well.. My platform, Warp Speed in 4 years!
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:43 pm »
George Pataki to announce presidential bid Thursday.

Republican electorate to collectively ignore him, as they have since 2006.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:09:48 pm »
George Pataki to announce presidential bid Thursday.

Republican electorate to collectively ignore him, as they have since 2006.

Hemorrhoids can be hard to ignore.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 01:37:23 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/243158-and-three-more-makes-nine

By Jonathan Easley - 05/27/15 06:00 AM EDT

The Republican presidential field will swell to nine official candidates in the next week as three new contenders enter the race.

Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who, in 2012, won the Iowa caucuses and finished second overall to eventual nominee Mitt Romney, is expected to announce his second consecutive presidential bid from Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

On Thursday, former New York Gov. George Pataki (R), a long shot, will most likely hit the launch button from New Hampshire.

And Monday, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) will enter the race from his hometown of Central, S.C., becoming the fourth senator to throw his hat into the ring.

The trio faces an uphill climb in the fight for money, media, and top-level political staffers and advisers.

“This group doesn’t look like it has a real shot at becoming president, but they could be fighting for Cabinet or V.P. slots and can contribute to the debate in different ways by highlighting their views on issues like social conservatism and foreign policy,” said GOP strategist Ron Bonjean.

The most pressing order of business for each contender will be qualifying for the GOP debates. Fox News and CNN are capping the number of candidates for their first debates at 10 — based on national polling numbers.

Santorum and Graham currently hang on the precipice of the top 10, while Pataki doesn’t register in polls at all.

Of the three, Santorum starts in the best position based on the strength of his 2012 campaign, when he emerged as the most formidable challenger to Romney.

During that campaign, Santorum traveled to all 99 counties in Iowa, ultimately edging Romney in the first-in-the-nation caucus state and pulling from his base of social conservative voters to win 10 states.

He’s kept an aggressive schedule in early 2015, with dozens of trips to test the waters in early-voting states, Iowa and South Carolina in particular.

But Republican strategists say the political terrain he faces in 2016 is much more difficult. They are doubtful he’ll be able to recapture the magic from 2012.

“This field is exponentially stronger, and a lot of his momentum from 2012 was based on the anti-Romney vote. It wasn’t necessarily pro-Santorum,” said Ford O’Connell, a Republican strategist.

Santorum will face stiff competition this go-round from former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who won the Iowa caucuses in 2008 and is likely to swallow up a lot of early support among evangelical voters.

In addition, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is making an aggressive play for the social conservative mantle, as is grassroots favorite Ben Carson. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) is believed by many to have partywide appeal — among establishment and grassroots Republicans alike.

“Santorum’s performance in 2012 was a credit to his pluck and determination and political skills,” said Republican strategist and writer for The Hill Contributor’s blog Matt Mackowiak. “But it was also a reflection of a weak field and perhaps weak front-runner.

“He hasn’t done much to build on the momentum he had back then,” he added. “He’s going to have trouble breaking through and gaining traction in 2016.”

Still, Santorum has broad name recognition in Iowa and can build off his 2012 campaign infrastructure.

He’s currently in 10th place nationally in the Republican field — right on the edge of qualifying for the debates — with 2.3 percent support, according to the RealClearPolitics (RCP) average of polls.

Perhaps more troubling for Santorum is that he isn’t fairing much better in Iowa, where he’s also in 10th place, with 3 percent support, according to RCP.

Graham, meanwhile, will stake his campaign on foreign policy. He’s currently in Israel, where he will be meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday.

“I’m running because of what you see on television. I’m running because I think the world is falling apart,” Graham said in an appearance on “CBS This Morning” earlier this month. “I’ve been more right than wrong on foreign policy.”

The issue of national security has been at the forefront, as lawmakers debate President Obama’s nuclear talks with Iran, the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, and the National Security Agency’s surveillance programs.

Graham also appears to have been spurred to run to thwart the presidential ambitions of his colleague, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), whose foreign policy views he believes are dangerous.

“I still feel the main reason he’s running for president is as a protest vote to Rand Paul, but he could wind up turning this into a Cabinet position,” O’Connell said.

To achieve this, Graham will be singularly focused on the primary in his home state of South Carolina, one of four early-voting states expected to winnow the field of contenders.

Here, Republicans will be watching to see if Graham plays the role of spoiler or kingmaker.

“He’s going to impact this race down there somehow, no question,” said Mackowiak.

Graham is currently tied for 12th nationally with only 1.3 percent support, according to the RCP average. A Winthrop University poll from April showed Graham in fourth place in South Carolina, behind Walker, Cruz and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Pataki has nothing to lose, but his bid has many Republicans scratching their heads.

They say he has an impressive record, having won three terms as governor in deep-blue New York. But he’s fallen off the political scene in the nine years since leaving office.

Pataki will be launching his bid from New Hampshire and banking on support in the Northeast to propel him. He isn’t included in most polls and will struggle just to get into the debates.

“Even New Yorkers have forgotten about him,” said GOP strategist Nino Saviano.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 04:14:27 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/243186-santorum-says-hes-in-for-2016

May 27, 2015, 10:57 am
Santorum says he’s in for 2016

By Jonathan Easley

Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) will announce Wednesday that he intends to seek the Republican nomination for president, a source close to his campaign confirmed.

Earlier Wednesday morning, Santorum told ABC News's George Stephanopoulos that he is officially in the race.

GeorgeStephanopoulos

@GStephanopoulos

Rick Santorum tells me he's officially in WH race. I'm in Pittsburgh for 1st interview today: http://abcn.ws/1KzPAQD 
9:22 AM - 27 May 2015

Santorum was widely expected to enter the race on Wednesday. He’ll hit the launch button from his hometown of Cabot, Pa., later in the afternoon.

The former Pennsylvania senator finished second in the 2012 Republican primaries, emerging as the most formidable threat to eventual nominee Mitt Romney.

Santorum edged Romney in the Iowa caucuses and pulled heavily from a base of social conservatives and evangelical Christians on his way to winning 10 other primary or caucus states.

However, he faces a far different political landscape heading into 2016.

Many Republicans attribute Santorum’s 2012 success to a weak field and weak front-runner.

The 2016 field is deep and packed with strong candidates, Republicans say, which will make it difficult for Santorum to break through.

He faces stiff competition from a handful of other candidates that will be looking to pull from his base of social conservatives, including former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who won the 2008 Iowa caucuses; Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas); retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

Santorum might even have a difficult time qualifying for the GOP debates.

Fox News and CNN are capping the number of candidates for their first debates at 10, based on national polling numbers.

Santorum is currently in 10th place nationally in the Republican field with 2.3 percent support, according to the RealClearPolitics average of polls. He’s also buried in 10th place in Iowa, taking only 3 percent support.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:13 am »
Republican Rick Santorum has announced he is to seek his party’s nomination to run for the White House in 2016.

The former senator from Pennsylvania is well liked among social and religious conservatives, but after failure in his 2012 campaign he is looking to broaden his appeal:
“Working families don’t need another president tied to big government or big money, and today is the day… today is the day we are going to begin to fight back,” he told supporters.

Santorum becomes the seventh Republican to throw his hat into the ring.

The 57-year old will face a challenge for the hearts and minds of conservative Christians from former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee.

Is there another candidate lurking in the bushes?

The son and brother of two former US presidents, Jeb Bush, is still to decide if he will run.

http://www.euronews.com/2015/05/28/republican-rick-santorum-announces-white-house-bid/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 03:40:39 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/243285-george-pataki-joins-crowded-gop-field

May 28, 2015, 07:52 am
George Pataki joins crowded GOP field

By Jesse Byrnes

Former New York Gov. George Pataki early Thursday released a video announcing his 2016 White House bid, joining a crowded field of Republican candidates.

"Washington has grown too big, too powerful, too expensive and too intrusive," Pataki said in the video, which includes images of the New York skyline and close-ups of the Republican.

"It is time to stand up, protect our freedom and take back this government," a soft-spoken Pataki added in the video, which flashes his "Pataki For President" logo. It was posted to his campaign website.

Pataki noted being elected three consecutive times as governor in deep-blue New York.

His position as governor during 9/11 is highlighted heavily in the video, which ends with him seeming to look to the future while overlooking the World Freedom Tower.

"That's exactly what we hoped, that we would not just rebuild what was here but build higher and taller and soar to new heights, and show people we weren't going to think small or live afraid," he said.

Pataki is considered a long shot for the Republican nomination, but can point to his ability to knock off incumbent Democratic Gov. Mario Cuomo in 1994.

He is slated to speak later Thursday in New Hampshire, where he is expected to publicly declare his bid.

"I know I can win this election, and that's one of the reasons I'm running," Pataki said during an appearance on Fox's "America's Newsroom."

Pataki brushed off the findings of a Quinnipiac University poll released earlier Thursday showing five Republican hopefuls locked atop a crowded 2016 GOP field. Pataki did not register support in that poll.

"The polls have never bothered me," he said, pointing to his time running for governor of New York in which he mounted a come-from-behind win against Cuomo heading into his first election.

"I'm optimistic we can overcome the odds as we have in the past," he said.

During the interview that focused on foreign policy, Pataki staked out his position on issues such as nuclear negotiations with Iran and the rise of Islamic militants in the Middle East.

"Iran is the No. 1 sponsor in the world of state terror," he said, referring to the country’s support of forces in Libya and Yemen and its belligerence toward Israel. He also voiced general opposition to the Obama administration's push for a nuclear deal with Iran.
"I think it should be rejected, unless we can be absolutely certain it won't put it on the path toward nuclear weapons," Pataki said of the deal.

He said it is necessary to prevent groups like the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) from establishing recruiting and training centers to plan 9/11-style attacks on the U.S.

"If necessary, we will send in American boots on the ground," Pataki said of defeating ISIS in Iraq, emphasizing it would not be a "a trillion-dollar war or nation-building" but instead quicker U.S. operations like a recent one taking out an ISIS leader in Syria.

On domestic policy, Pataki said he would advocate a "reform agenda" targeting political figures in Washington.

"We're going to get rid of corrupt agents in the IRS," he said.

He also weighed in on Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton's use of private email as secretary of State and allegations of impropriety at the Clinton Foundation.

"I would appoint a special prosecutor to investigate exactly what she did," he said.

Democrats issued a statement brushing off Pataki's entrance into the 2016 race.

“Another day, another Republican running for President who opposes raising the minimum wage and whose agenda is wrong for the middle class," said Holly Shulman, a spokeswoman for the Democratic National Committee.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:01 pm »
what a waste of time and money..
Support the USO