Author Topic: Pataki Looks to Join Republican Presidential Field  (Read 1029 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pataki Looks to Join Republican Presidential Field
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:22:52 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=645666

Newsmax
Pataki Looks to Join Republican Presidential Field
Wednesday, May 20, 2015 09:54 AM

By: REUTERS

Former New York Governor George Pataki indicated on Wednesday that he would announce his campaign for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination next week in New Hampshire.

Last week, Pataki said he would be in Exeter, the New Hampshire town known as the birthplace of the Republican Party, on May 28 to announce whether he would be a candidate. In an interview on CNN on Wednesday he joked about his trip to the state, which plays a key role in determining presidential nominees.

"There are some things going on in New Hampshire," he said. "I think it's called a primary, something like that, first in the nation."

While stopping short of announcing plans to run, Pataki said he thought conditions had gotten worse globally. "If you have an ability to lead and you sit it out, shame on you."

Pataki, who served three terms as New York governor from 1995 through 2007, would join a Republican presidential field that already includes Senators Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and Rand Paul; former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee; former corporate executive Carly Fiorina; and political newcomer Ben Carson.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: Pataki Looks to Join Republican Presidential Field
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 04:49:43 pm »
From the sublime to the ridiculous...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:06:51 am »
Cue up Judy Collins singing, "Send In The Clowns" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJgIwULLvOQ

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:14:31 am »
Cue up Judy Collins singing, "Send In The Clowns" ...

You called?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:02:18 am »
While Pataki is at the bottom of my list, I think it is fantastic so many great Republicans are running.  They all know a Republican will win the next Presidency.  That is why so many of them are willing to run.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:26:20 am »
While Pataki is at the bottom of my list, I think it is fantastic so many great Republicans are running.  They all know a Republican will win the next Presidency.  That is why so many of them are willing to run.

Really? As I recall, a bunch of them ran in 2012. How'd that work out for prognostication?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 05:28:11 am »
Really? As I recall, a bunch of them ran in 2012. How'd that work out for prognostication?

2 issues were on the minds of the GOP nomination candidates who ran in 2012.

The first was 2012 was a soft rat year.  By that, I mean the time favored the rats but that there was an actual shot of the GOP nominee winning the general election unlike in 2008. 

Our recent Presidential elections have followed a pattern of 2 rats terms then 2 GOP terms for 72 years with only 1 exception.

1944-1952 FDR/Truman
1952-1960 Ike
1960-1968 JFK/Johnson
1968-1976 Nixon/Ford
1976-1984 Carter/Reagan *one exception
1984-1992 Reagan/Bush
1992-2000 Clinton
2000-2008 Bush
2008-2016 Obama

This is caused by an article in our US Constitution that allows most people, even those who are extremely stupid, to vote.

The hard party years were 1944(d) 1952(r) 1960(d) 1968(r) 1976(d) 1984(r) 1992(d) 2000(r) 2008(d) 2016(r)
The soft party years were  1948      1956     1964     1972      1980     1988     1998     2004     2012      2020

In the soft party years the opposing party is unlikely to unseat the governing party but it has a better chance than in a hard party year.

Because of this pattern I would bet money that the next GOP candidate will win the general election in 2016.

The other issue for the candidates is a trend.  Recent elections show the GOP primary voters favor a candidate who has run and lost at least once before.  This was true of Romney, McCain, Dole, Bush Sr, Reagan, and Nixon.

Therefore if a candidate really wants to win the 2016 GOP nomination they should have ran for, and lost the GOP nomination in 2012 or earlier.

Those candidates would included Perry, Huckabee, Santorum, Kasich, and Romney.  The only reason I wouldn't bet money on those candidates is that Dubya won the nomination in 2000 without running for President before, because he could cash-in on the Bush name and experience.  Jeb has already cashed in on the Bush dynasty and money network to a great degree and I'm pretty sure he will win the GOP nomination.

Now, that is NOT what I want to happen...it is just what I expect...and I'm alright with that.  Jeb would be a solid President.

What I'd like to see is my Governor Scott Walker win.  I think it is unlikely but I like to root for the underdog.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 12:30:12 pm »

Really?  The last candidate standing after the primary shootout will be so weak it will be a miracle if he/she can stand never mind run.

But some usefulness will come out of this process.  Hillary's campaign will have all the sound bites she'll need to finish off the GOP candidate during the general election.

So welcome to the party, Pataki.  Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.  Be sure to give Jeb and Rick and Huckabee a great big hug from me.  I can't find the words to thank all of you for your sacrifice.   **nononono* 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:03:39 pm by Right_in_Virginia »