Author Topic: Pakistan opens 100MW solar plant, govt plans clean energy drive  (Read 416 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.rtcc.org/2015/05/20/pakistan-opens-100mw-solar-plant-govt-plans-clean-energy-drive/

One of the world’s largest solar plants has been opened in Pakistan with the aim of supplying clean, reliable energy and helping alleviate the country’s chronic power shortages. The plant, spread over more than 200 hectares of desert land in the south of Pakistan’s Punjab province, will generate 100 megawatts (MW) in its initial phase and more than 300MW by the end of the year, according to government officials. More than a third of Pakistan’s population do not have access to electricity, and power shortages are a serious impediment to economic growth.

Inaugurating the plant, Nawaz Sharif, Pakistan’s prime minister, said: “Since I became prime minister, my one goal has been to eliminate darkness in Pakistan and bring lights back to the country.” Mushahidullah Khan, the Federal Minister for Climate Change, told the Climate News Network that the government is determined to make use of what it sees as the country’s enormous solar energy potential.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Pakistan opens 100MW solar plant, govt plans clean energy drive
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:41:22 pm »

More than a third of Pakistan’s population do not have access to electricity, and power shortages are a serious impediment to economic growth.

People in such conditions today probably make good jihad soldiers.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln