Author Topic: Ukraine to honor groups that killed Jews in World War II  (Read 755 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Ukraine to honor groups that killed Jews in World War II
« on: May 21, 2015, 03:48:40 pm »
http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.657381

New Ukrainian laws that came into effect over the past two months will outlaw the display of objects and names from the country's communist past, while honoring groups that collaborated with the Nazis in the extermination of Ukrainian Jewry, Bloomberg reports. A law signed by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko last week bans all Soviet and Nazi symbols, including town and street names. It is expected to lead to the renaming such regional centers as Dnipropetrovsk (named after Grigory Petrovsky, who ran Ukraine in the 1920s and 1930s) and Kirovograd (bearing the name of Sergei Kirov, a Bolshevik leader allegedly killed by Stalin,) as well as dozens of other towns and hundreds of streets. Another bill, signed into law in April, prescribes that Ukrainians honor a number of World War II nationalist organizations, some of which – such as the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists and the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) – fought alongside the Nazis. The law was protested by 40 historians from major Western universities in an open letter to Poroshenko and Ukrainian legislators.

"Not only would it be a crime to question the legitimacy of an organization (UPA) that slaughtered tens of thousands of Poles in one of the most heinous acts of ethnic cleansing in the history of Ukraine," the historians wrote, " but also it would exempt from criticism the OUN, one of the most extreme political groups in Western Ukraine between the wars, and one which collaborated with Nazi Germany at the outset of the Soviet invasion in 1941. "It also took part in anti-Jewish pogroms in Ukraine and, in the case of the Melnyk faction, remained allied with the occupation regime throughout the war." The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe also criticized the laws. “Broadly and vaguely defined language that restricts individuals from expressing views on past events and people, could easily lead to suppression of political, provocative and critical speech, especially in the media,” wrote Dunja Mijatovic, OSCE representative on freedom of the media, in April. "As Ukraine advances on the difficult road to full democracy, we strongly urge the nation's government to refrain from any measure that preempts or censors discussion or politicizes the study of history," the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum said in a statement.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Ukraine to honor groups that killed Jews in World War II
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »
What is the basis...the foundation...for the recent public hatred toward Jews in Europe?

How could this be repeated after what happened 'only' less than 80 years ago?

With the advent of instant communication around the globe, how could this happen again?

How are 'they' allowed to get away with this hate speech?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 04:06:07 pm »
What is the basis...the foundation...for the recent public hatred toward Jews in Europe?

How could this be repeated after what happened 'only' less than 80 years ago?

With the advent of instant communication around the globe, how could this happen again?

How are 'they' allowed to get away with this hate speech?

I think it is the result of the same thing we are seeing here in the US.  We are starting to have generations of people that weren't alive to remember WWII - and the people that were are dying off.  That leaves people that only know what they are told about it - and most of those people are getting that information in SCHOOL. 

Schools are run by leftists - leftists, along with Muslims dislike Israel.  Why?  I don't really know, but I know that Totalitarians and Muslims tend to think alike on a lot of issues.  Antisemitism being one of them. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:30:23 pm »
I think it is the result of the same thing we are seeing here in the US.  We are starting to have generations of people that weren't alive to remember WWII - and the people that were are dying off.  That leaves people that only know what they are told about it - and most of those people are getting that information in SCHOOL. 

Schools are run by leftists - leftists, along with Muslims dislike Israel.  Why?  I don't really know, but I know that Totalitarians and Muslims tend to think alike on a lot of issues.  Antisemitism being one of them.

We're supposed to, forgive the word....PROGRESS! 

They've been trying to exterminate the Jews for over over 4 thousand years!

I think this is what they REALLY mean when they say political correctness is the death of nations.

We know good god damned well that if they played those Twin Towers falling every night on television...like they used to play the National Anthem  after the Late Late Show, we wouldn't be having any of these issues Americans BILLIONS of people are facing today.

I'm just so damned disappointed in all of us.   Thank you God, that I don't have many years left. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 05:37:10 pm »
I'm just so damned disappointed in all of us.   Thank you God, that I don't have many years left.

There is a lot of good in the world if you look for it. It'd me a tragedy for you to end your days disappointed in humanity.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:47:54 pm »
There is a lot of good in the world if you look for it. It'd me a tragedy for you to end your days disappointed in humanity.

Thank you, Dex.   Realize that.

I see beauty and goodness every day.

But I've wondered many times during my adult life just how the 1930's typical German citizen allowed Adolph Hitler and the Third Reich to exist.

Then to see the same behavior everywhere I look around me here in MY OWN DAMNED COUNTRY!!

...sorry for shouting. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:28:45 pm »
We're supposed to, forgive the word....PROGRESS! 

They've been trying to exterminate the Jews for over over 4 thousand years!

I think this is what they REALLY mean when they say political correctness is the death of nations.

We know good god damned well that if they played those Twin Towers falling every night on television...like they used to play the National Anthem  after the Late Late Show, we wouldn't be having any of these issues Americans BILLIONS of people are facing today.

that is one of my pet peeves.....they should have replayed the towers falling. All those people jumping to their deaths. I remember at the time Pelosi or one of them wanted to pass a law that any movie with the Towers still standing they had to be taken out of the film. I always think of that now when I see a movie with those beautiful towers in them. They should have rebuilt them. Now in the antenna that is one that tower......Barack Obama has signed it. Notice how that antenna looks like the top of a mosque?

I will always remember a episode of Law and Order. Jerry Orbach was talking to his partener. He said..."yeah I am upset....see that empty space? there is supposed to be buildings there"   

the left is winning at a warp speed rate. They have the power now.  I see yesterday some in congress now are going to bring up a Hate Speech bill.   **nononono*