Author Topic: Gloria Steinem to lead women's march in North Korea  (Read 931 times)

rangerrebew

Gloria Steinem to lead women's march in North Korea
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:12:15 pm »

Gloria Steinem to lead women's march in North Korea

By Nick Gass
  | 5/19/15 7:30 AM EDT

Gloria Steinem is among 30 women activists marching from Beijing through the demilitarized zone dividing North and South Korea in a call for peace next Sunday. The event marks the International Women’s Day for Peace and Disarmament.

The 81-year-old activist told Reuters that “it seems to me that the past of no contact has not worked,” invoking former President Ronald Reagan’s call to tear down the Berlin Wall.

“We are saying: ‘Take down this isolation,’” she said, according to the report, which also notes that the organizers will meet with North Korean women and tour a maternity hospital, a women’s factory in Pyongyang and a preschool.

Both countries have approved the rare crossing of the DMZ, a rare event that has generated criticism among those who say the event could be used as propaganda by the North.

“There is nothing in this action that reflects prioritizing of one or another government,” the group said, according to The Associated Press.

The two countries have technically been at war since 1950, though a cease-fire has kept the war cold for more than 60 years. The conflict has not been without its flareups, most recently in 2013 when Kim Jong-un’s North Korea launched its third nuclear test and declared the 1953 armistice no longer valid. The North’s actions have been met with various sanctions over the years.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/gloria-steinem-north-korea-womens-march-118081.html#ixzz3abbGu1uW

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Gloria Steinem to lead women's march in North Korea
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:38:19 pm »
Useless idiots.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:28 pm »
Oh, now that's a GREAT idea........

:facepalm:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:51:28 pm »
Hopefully, North Korea won't let her out, and/ or South Korea won't let her in.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 10:48:31 pm »
North Korea can have her.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:37:18 pm »
Liberals are idiots, especially American Liberals. I saw this when I lived in Israel. Americans would come to visit and would want to tour the West Bank. They could not comprehend how dangerous it was.

They would frequently think they could drive through Gaza and the Sinai to tour Egypt, as if they are in New Jersey and want to go see Pennsylvania. That would be at least suicide and possible a much worse fate. But, they didn't know. They were oblivious. Americans tend to think that the entire world is like America. They don't get that these are dangerous people and they will kill you.

The point is that this is a foolish thing to do. Whether or not the goal is noble, North Korea is not a place that you want to play games.

Not only is she putting herself in danger, but everyone she comes in contact with in North Korea could easily be killed for talking with her or listening to what she says. She does not have a clue what she is doing.

She is going to cause a lot of trouble, for a lot of people, and she will achieve nothing except boosting her own ego and gaining publicity.   
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:25:26 am »
Not only is she putting herself in danger

Not sure you are right about that, 240B. If the NK government has approved this march then it is serving some propaganda purpose of theirs. I suspect Steinem, et.al., will be claiming the NKs are all for peace but the problem is American militarism or some such. We'll see.

I really do question this, however:
marching from Beijing through the demilitarized zone
. I suspect that should be marching from Pyongyang, etc., rather than the capital of China.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:55:12 am »
True. However it is extremely common for all dictators to setup a situation as if they approve it, just to see who in their country responds. NK is known for subterfuge, lying, and tricks. As you said, if NK approved this then they did it for a reason. We do not know specifically what the reason was, but we can be sure whatever it is, it is not a good thing.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.