Author Topic: GOP Worry: 2016 Field May Be Too Big to Succeed  (Read 1744 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Worry: 2016 Field May Be Too Big to Succeed
« on: May 18, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=645215

Newsmax
GOP Worry: 2016 Field May Be Too Big to Succeed
Monday, May 18, 2015 10:52 AM

By: Melanie Batley

Republican Party chiefs are concerned that the sprawling size of the 2016 GOP field could compromise its chances to win the presidency.

"We're in a danger zone," Doug Gross, a top Republican establishment figure in Iowa, told The Washington Post. "When the party poobahs put this process together, they thought they could telescope this to get us a nominee who could appeal to a broad cross-section of people.

"What we've got instead is a confederation of a lot of candidates who aren't standing out — and in order to stand out, you need to scream the loudest."

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush was seen as the front-runner at the beginning of the year, but his recent stumbles on the question of the Iraq War has put his standing in question.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker also enjoyed a surge early in the year, ranking at the top of a number of polls, but his star has faded somewhat as other candidates have jumped into the race.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz enjoyed a bounce after his announcement in March, as did Florida Sen. Marco Rubio in April. And Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul has consistently performed among the top contenders in the polls.

According to the Post, activists are enjoying the wide field of candidates, but party officials are already struggling with the practicalities of a crowded field.

"To win in a presidential election year, the Democrats have to be good," RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said, according to the Post. "As Republicans, we need to be about perfect in order to win."

Some say, however, that the large field could be an advantage.

Sean Spicer, the RNC's chief strategist, told the Post, "The attention's going to be on our side, the horsepower's going to be on our side, the enthusiasm's going to be on our side."

But the concern remains that while the large field could stir conservative voters, it could turn off mainstream voters.

"To have a baker's dozen and a few more as our candidates is impressive, enabling and exciting," former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating told the Post. "But it's problematical, because if it looks like total chaos, people will switch the channel."

A number of candidates are also sounding a warning.

"This whole process is to elect a Republican nominee," former Arkansas governor and presidential candidate Mike Huckabee told reporters, according to the Post. "It's not to provide a media circus. It's not to provide entertainment to the masses and to create a show that would be delightfully pleasant for the opposition to watch."

"If we go back to the old way of fighting amongst ourselves and saying, 'You're not righteous enough, you're not perfect enough, you're not this enough,' we're not going to win," Bush said in a speech to RNC members recently, according to the Post.

Meanwhile, the issue of structuring the debates has become a matter of intense discussion at the RNC. Officials may end up squeezing 10 or more contenders onto the debate stage when the debates kick off in August, and it remains to be determined how potential contenders will make the cut.

Officials have considered various criteria to qualify for debates, such as poll numbers or fundraising, but have yet to make a decision.

"It's a very tough question," Spicer said recently.

Whatever the decision, the field is expected to grow again Monday with the expected announcement by South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham that he is throwing his hat into the ring.

Republican candidates in the race:

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, to announce Monday
    Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, announced May 5
    Retired pediatric neurosurgeon Ben Carson, announced May 4
    Former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, announced May 4
    Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, announced April 13
    Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, announced April 7
    Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, announced March 23

Potential Republican candidates yet to announce their intentions:

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, expected to announce no sooner than June
    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, may announce as late as June
    Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, an announcement sometime in the spring
    Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, expected to announce a bid on June 4
    Former New York Gov. George Pataki, to make an announcement on May 28
    Business mogul Donald Trump, expected to announce intentions in May or June
    Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, to announce intentions May 27

Other Republicans who may still be in the running include Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: GOP Worry: 2016 Field May Be Too Big to Succeed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:13:20 pm »
We do this every four years.  The democrats count on it and we never disappoint.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »
That is the RINOGOP plan. Load up on non significant candidates , count on the DEM crossover vote when the word goes out in the large Slave cities, split the vote and the Lo info Pubs bring home Jeb for the candidate. They did it in SC, TN, MS, KY and other states in the Senate elections with the operative TEa Party groups the RINOGOP controls and will FIX it again. Works every time! :chairbang:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:30:12 pm by Longiron »

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:29:38 pm »
And the field keeps expanding. Looks like Jindal is getting set. This is RETARDED!. By the time they finish beating the crap out of each other [and booring the rest of us to death] in the endless debates/ primaries, they'll be out of money, we'll be out of energy, and the Dims will carve up the survivor like a turkey!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:48:41 pm »
That is the RINOGOP plan. Load up on non significant candidates , count on the DEM crossover vote when the word goes out in the large Slave cities, split the vote and the Lo info Pubs bring home Jeb for the candidate. They did it in SC, TN, MS, KY and other states in the Senate elections with the operative TEa Party groups the RINOGOP controls and will FIX it again. Works every time! :chairbang:

Us "low info Pubs" who will vote for Bush if he makes it through the primaries, see it a little differently.  We think there are no rules or laws pertaining to the number of candidates allowed to run for president.  We see a  divided Republican Party, with numerous issues facing the Nation.  Some candidates think social issues should prevail; others look at military and foreign policy as the preeminent issues.  Still others see our fiscal problems including taxes, spending and debt as the issues of the day.  Then of course there's the potential for female and minority candidates this time around.  Finally several are clearly putting their names out there hoping for a VP offer or a high level position in a new GOP White House in 2017.

So while it's not surprising to me to see the early number of potential candidates, I am no doubt one of those "low info Pubs" being controlled by the "RINOGOP".   :shrug:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:08:10 pm »
It's early yet. Give it till Labor Day. By then lower tier candidates will find donor support lacking, followed by a natural attrition as the money dries up for the less attractive candidates.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »
Us "low info Pubs" who will vote for Bush if he makes it through the primaries, see it a little differently.  We think there are no rules or laws pertaining to the number of candidates allowed to run for president.  We see a  divided Republican Party, with numerous issues facing the Nation.  Some candidates think social issues should prevail; others look at military and foreign policy as the preeminent issues.  Still others see our fiscal problems including taxes, spending and debt as the issues of the day.  Then of course there's the potential for female and minority candidates this time around.  Finally several are clearly putting their names out there hoping for a VP offer or a high level position in a new GOP White House in 2017.

So while it's not surprising to me to see the early number of potential candidates, I am no doubt one of those "low info Pubs" being controlled by the "RINOGOP".   :shrug:

Good luck with JEB. I admire your fortitude to say what you think and believe even if I disagree?? :beer:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 04:08:19 pm »
Good luck with JEB. I admire your fortitude to say what you think and believe even if I disagree?? :beer:

I love a good disagreement, though I'll generally stay away from tearing down any of my fellow Republicans.  As for Bush, I did say I'd vote for him if he's the nominee.  There are a few others I prefer at this point.

:beer:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Paladin

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 05:20:46 pm »
I see a positive side to having all these candidates. Namely, they are themselves, or are advised by, professional politicians and they smell blood in the water. Nothing indicates to me more the actual popularity of Bambi and Hillary than the fact so many Republicans are vying for the Presidential nomination, polls notwithstanding (most of which are bull anyway).
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:41 pm »

MEMO TO JEB BUSH.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:04:29 am »
I see a positive side to having all these candidates. Namely, they are themselves, or are advised by, professional politicians and they smell blood in the water. Nothing indicates to me more the actual popularity of Bambi and Hillary than the fact so many Republicans are vying for the Presidential nomination, polls notwithstanding (most of which are bull anyway).

That is a brilliant observation.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:20 pm »

So many Republicans are vying for the nomination because so many of them have egos that far exceed their talent and chance for victory.  The lower tiered candidates have nothing to lose by filling their time with a campaign going nowhere.  Saying this cluttered field is about the unpopularity of Bambi and Hillary is mere wishful thinking.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 12:46:44 pm »
So many Republicans are vying for the nomination because so many of them have egos that far exceed their talent and chance for victory.  The lower tiered candidates have nothing to lose by filling their time with a campaign going nowhere.  Saying this cluttered field is about the unpopularity of Bambi and Hillary is mere wishful thinking.

Eggsactly!   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Paladin

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 08:57:06 pm »
That is a brilliant observation.

Why thank you, Once-Ler, though it appears some others might disagree (lol).
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 01:50:39 am »
Why thank you, Once-Ler, though it appears some others might disagree (lol).
You're welcome, and if I didn't say it before...welcome
If we all agreed what would be the point of a dialogue?  I've learned many things from those I disagree with.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 01:40:35 pm »
To be quite honest I'm not worried,but it does show the American people that the GOP has more choices then the Democrats.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”