Author Topic: O’Malley reacts to Tsarnaev verdict: ‘Death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent’  (Read 873 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/16/martin-omalley-reacts-to-tsarnaev-verdict-death-pe/print/

O’Malley reacts to Tsarnaev verdict: ‘Death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent’

By Kellan Howell - The Washington Times - Saturday, May 16, 2015

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley said Friday that the death penalty sentence for Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was "ineffective."

While the likely Democratic presidential candidate said that he "respects the verdict of the jury" and said his prayers go to the victims and their loved ones, he used the occasion to make another statement on his opposition to the death penalty.

"The death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent, and the appeals process is expensive and cruel to the surviving family members," Mr. O'Malley said, Mediaite reported Friday.

Mr. O'Malley added that "the vast majority of public executions" happen in the U.S., North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, and China, and said that was a list the U.S. should not be on, Mediaite reported.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

... but, it will be for Tsarnaev...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline andy58-in-nh

In cases such as this, the death penalty is not intended to be a deterrent. It is intended to serve justice. 

That the appeals process has become lengthy and expensive is the work of trial lawyers and politicians, as exemplified by Mr. O'Malley.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Death penalty is not a deterrent - it is a punishment that serves as closure to a heinous crime.  I don't think very many people are deterred when they are in the throes of getting ready to do something so horrible that they can get death for it.  When you're at that point - that doesn't mean a thing - the passion that stirs you to action supersedes all rational thought.

The death penalty means we can stop wasting any thoughts, time or resources on keeping this person alive and unable to hurt anyone else. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
alice (and andy) wrote above:
[[ Death penalty is not a deterrent - it is a punishment that serves as closure to a heinous crime...]]

The entire concept of "deterrence" insofar as criminal sentencing is involved, was invented by leftists in an effort to change the dialogue on capital punishment.

The tactic is concurrent with the coining of the word "racist" by the communist left as a tool to use against the established order ("racist" and "racism" did not exist as words in the English dictionary until the twentieth century).

"Capital punishment" is not meant to deter anyone (except the individual being executed).
It is "punishment", no more and no less.

The "death penalty" is not meant to deter anyone -- it is a "penalty" upon the convicted criminal, intended to be exerted on him (or her) alone.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:33:39 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I don't see what the big deal is. This is mostly symbolic. Tsarnaev is no closer to being put to death than I am.

Being sentenced to death is one thing. Actually having it happen is a totally different issue. He will still be alive 10 years from now, and probably 20 years after that.

Appeal, after appeal, after appeal, and stay, after stay, after stay, with a probable reduction to life without parole.

I would be willing to bet this guy will outlive all of us.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

I don't see what the big deal is. This is mostly symbolic. Tsarnaev is no closer to being put to death than I am.

Being sentenced to death is one thing. Actually having it happen is a totally different issue. He will still be alive 10 years from now, and probably 20 years after that.

Appeal, after appeal, after appeal, and stay, after stay, after stay, with a probable reduction to life without parole.

My exact thoughts. He will surely out live me.

Offline cammie

O'Malley needs to learn that deterrence isn't the only point of criminal justice.  I'm trying to remember all 4 of them from law school, but retribution, deterrence, rehabilitation and...incapacitation maybe? 

So death penalty is 2 for 4 even if not a deterrent. I'd rather see life at hard labor, but since that would be cruel and unusual... **nononono*

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Never understood why life with hard labor is considered cruel and unusual for prisoners but opportunity for us blue collar types.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

Never understood why life with hard labor is considered cruel and unusual for prisoners but opportunity for us blue collar types.

You got that right!

:beer:

If it were up to me, in a case like this where it's premeditated, and clear that he's guilty, I'd execute him quickly and put it on pay per view.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:05:38 pm by Relic »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

And yet Tim McVeigh didn't even last half a decade. The myth of the infinite appeal is just that—a myth.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024