Author Topic: Many GOP voters buy into ‘Jade Helm’ conspiracy theory  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Steve Benen
MSNBC
May 14, 2015

... A new survey from Public Policy Polling finds that one-third of Republicans believe the Jade Helm 15 conspiracy theory that “the government is trying to take over Texas,” and another 28 percent of GOP voters haven’t made up their minds yet about the matter ...
Full article

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Many GOP voters buy into ‘Jade Helm’ conspiracy theory
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:53:50 am »
It is really bad around here. We are somewhat close to Red River Army Depot and every time there is a shipment of vehicles there, coming back from Iraq, to be decommissioned or serviced, people go nuts. Just ignore the fact that they have been going to this same depot for the same service since WWII and it is a regular sight. Now, it is all part of the conspiracy.

There is also an armored car builder in Dallas that makes UN vehicles, you can imagine what happens every time they load a couple up on a truck.

They've gotten even worse and started linking the Wal Marts that closed down as part of it.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 03:36:10 am »
The U.S. is on the edge of rebellion, Pulitzer Prize winner Chris Hedges warns in new book

Ishmael N. Daro

The United States is primed for a rebellion. So argues Chris Hedges in his new book, Wages of Rebellion, in which the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and polemicist examines revolts from 1700s to the ending of apartheid in South Africa, as well as the “sublime madness” that drives the people at the centre of such rebellions. Why is America next? He recently spoke with the National Post’s Ishmael Daro about what he sees as a pot about to boil over.

Q Is this book a warning or a prediction?

A I didn’t write it as a warning or a prediction. I wrote it more as an assessment. I covered disintegrating societies like Yugoslavia. I know how they break down; I know what the warning signs are, so it’s familiar. I don’t think at this point there’s much dispute. Even just the financial indicators in terms of wealth disparity and chronic unemployment. The fact that Congress has a nine-per-cent approval rating. Where I’m coming from, the book is an attempt to explain where we are in this particular historical period.

Q Inequality and injustice is part of human existence — I mean, the U.S. Constitution included slavery, for example.

more at:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/chris-hedges-interview-wages-of-rebellion-771297

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not meaning to hijack thread....IMO, it's all related.  The proof is out there.   One thing is for sure. 

We'll see.

When you add this all up, the phony economic upturn(s),....the 2008 financial 'crisis'... which was "so terrible" that John McCain suspended his campaign... I'm not going to be surprised if Obama goes for it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:37:30 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Paladin

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 04:57:59 am »
The fact that Congress has a nine-per-cent approval rating.

A meaningless number when one consider the incumbent reelection rates every two years. It may be voters claim to hate Congress but what they mean is the other guy, not their own rep. If I recall in his day President Reagan pointed out that our Congress had a higher retention rate than did a comparable Soviet legislature. Not much has changed.

As to Jade Helm, the topic. Put me down as one of those concerned. I want to know for what was this exercise planned? Our military is practicing for precisely what? Why are two of the most prominent states involved the very anti-Obama Texas and Utah? Why not hold this thing in Illinois and Minnesota? Then, finally I recall the words of none other than Barack Obama: he promised us a Civilian National Security Force" that would be “just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded as the US Military.”

The long and the short of it: I don't trust that sob at all.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:06:18 am »
The government already controls Texas. What exactly do people think they are trying to accomplish?  :shrug:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 05:19:23 am »
I am not sure what you mean by this Dexter:
The government already controls Texas.
, but I do know you didn't answer my question about why Texas, why Utah? If any serious resistance were to arise in opposition to Obama and the possibility of martial law (let's have even more riots shall we?), where do you think the centers of resistance would be? Massachusetts? Vermont?

Understand, please, I don't know if this is coming, but prudence dictates we keep a close eye on all this, as Gov Abbott has done. After all, Dexter, it is Barack Obama we are talking about here.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:37:39 am »
Keep an eye, sure, but don't buy in to too much.

Military has to practice, and while they have some amazing "sets" for stuff like urban warfare and pacification, they are missing the one thing that can't be faked - brainless civs. Real world exercises are best if you can get them.

As to why Texas - It's a big place, lots of small towns, the residents are armed and familiar with weapons so have some idea of when NOT to shoot, and it's the same sort of terrain that units are likely to be deployed to either if they get shuffled off to the ME again or called in for border security.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 01:13:07 pm »
I am not sure what you mean by this Dexter: , but I do know you didn't answer my question about why Texas, why Utah?

Texas probably because she is home to Ft. Hood and also the diversity of terrain that could simulate everything from the Middle East to tropical swamps.  Utah is largely federal land but also has a lot of territory that resembles the middle east in terms of terrain and climate. Most importantly, Utah is home to Dugway proving grounds which is exactly the place this type of training is done at.   So basically these two States are the most logical. One is the State that has the most Army troops, the other has the largest training base.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:16:42 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »
Do I think the govt is trying to make a power grab with Jade Helm? No. It's likely to be what it is - a training exercise for the ME.

Don't think however that the govt isn't taking landscape notes for future use, and using all the hysteria as cover and misdirect for proving those very fears later on.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:01:07 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 04:08:09 pm »
Didn't our military hold major training exercises, before Obama?

I think they are doing this in Texas and Utah, to tweak "conservatives," and it apparently worked.

Maybe JebBush could take a few tries, to explain it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 04:31:45 pm »
Didn't our military hold major training exercises, before Obama?

Yep, all the time and every time conspiracy blogs or publications went nuts.
Example, just search for, Bush + Martial Law + Military Exercise
https://www.bing.com/search?q=bush%2C+martial+law%2C+military+exercise&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=bush%2C+martial+law%2C+military+exercise&sc=0-19&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=85756bca004c430ca0d4852263a61c43

Social media is just making this one blow up even more. You also can find incidents as old as the internet (and older if you can find scanned copies of conspiracy magazines) every time military equipment was moved or people saw it, they knew it was a sign the government was about to do something.

Here is a good example, UN equipment spotted in Dallas, in 1999.  People freaked out. The actual story, a company there was painting the vehicles.
http://www.greaterthings.com/News/UN_vehicles.htm

The bad thing about the internet and social media, stupid stuff blows up into big conspiracies. The good thing about the internet and social media, you can go back and see every time it blew up but was really nothing to show this isn't unusual.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:34:19 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 05:26:26 pm »
We have quite a few military bases, in California. Camp Pendleton, Miramar Naval Air Base, Los Alamitos Naval Air Base, Twenty-nine Palms, Camp Irwin, March Air Field, Edwards Air Force Base, and many more.

I have seen helicopters going up and down the coast, from time to time. Many of those bases, are along the coast. The Marines do desert training in the desert. Duh.

It never occurred to me to get all tinfoil about military exercises. Obama likes to tweak his opponents, and it works. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 05:38:07 pm »
A facebook page I go to says jade helm is going door to door in Arizona confiscating magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.  I won't go to that link to read more.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 06:30:37 pm »
A meaningless number when one consider the incumbent reelection rates every two years. It may be voters claim to hate Congress but what they mean is the other guy, not their own rep. If I recall in his day President Reagan pointed out that our Congress had a higher retention rate than did a comparable Soviet legislature. Not much has changed.

As to Jade Helm, the topic. Put me down as one of those concerned. I want to know for what was this exercise planned? Our military is practicing for precisely what? Why are two of the most prominent states involved the very anti-Obama Texas and Utah? Why not hold this thing in Illinois and Minnesota? Then, finally I recall the words of none other than Barack Obama: he promised us a Civilian National Security Force" that would be “just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded as the US Military.”

The long and the short of it: I don't trust that sob at all.

This place becomes more and more like TOS every day. I'm embarrassed that somebody as sharp as Greg Abbott gave any credence to this nonsense. 

Conservatives soooooooo want to believe there's a boogeyman under the bed...........
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 06:43:08 pm »
This place becomes more and more like TOS every day. I'm embarrassed that somebody as sharp as Greg Abbott gave any credence to this nonsense. 

Conservatives soooooooo want to believe there's a boogeyman under the bed...........

Sink, there are too many people on our side of the fence with the "I'll believe anything about (insert name of liberal) as long as it's bad" attitude.

However, I don't think that all or even most conservatives fit this mold. Unfortunately, too many do, though.  **nononono*

Offline Paladin

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »
Who is showing the greater concern, Conservatives like myself who advise due care or those who accuse said Conservatives of being unduly apprehensive?

All I said about this was,
Understand, please, I don't know if this is coming, but prudence dictates we keep a close eye on all this, as Gov Abbott has done. After all, Dexter, it is Barack Obama we are talking about here.
, a perfectly reasonable statement, especially given who is President at this time.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 07:30:31 pm »
Witness: The successful dumbing down of too many of our citizens.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »
I simply go by 'trust but verify'. I don't bite at everything out there, but I'm not so naive to ignore that there is something afoot in our Federal govt hell bent on subjugating all of us, if not flat wiping the country off the map as we know it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 10:44:34 pm »
This place becomes more and more like TOS every day..........

Sink, with all due respect, you are really missing the point between here and TOS. These stories are out there, so they will be discussed. At TOS, total agreement is demanded and debate stifled either trough mockery or strong armed moderation to hold the orthodox (of the day) line. Here, the stories are also discussed, but all sides come out and we, for the most part, discuss them like adults, giving our opinions, without demand to stick with one story, and only only.

The rationality of this place is heads and tails above all others. We all come together and discuss, not scream troll and call for zots if someone disagrees.

There is rarely an Alex Jones type thread here that doesn't have at least half the posts debunking or challenging the premise.

And that is why we are not becoming more and more like TOS.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:46:20 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 11:06:27 pm »
There is rarely an Alex Jones type thread here that doesn't have at least half the posts debunking or challenging the premise.

Part of why I like to see them posted  (sometimes. Sometimes I want to post that "not this shit again" gif). Debunk and get on with more important things seems like a good idea, even if it does get monotonous from time to time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Paladin

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 02:39:59 am »
Your last post, AbaraXas: well said.