Author Topic: Senate puts Obama-supported trade bill back on track, after deal with Dems  (Read 467 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/14/senate-puts-obama-supported-trade-bill-back-on-track-after-deal-with-dems/

back on track, after deal with Dems
Published May 14, 2015
Associated Press
Facebook0 Twitter0 Email Print   

In a burst of bipartisanship, the Republican-controlled Senate put President Obama's trade agenda back on course on Thursday, clearing the way for likely approval within days for legislation allowing the administration to negotiate global deals that Congress could support or reject but not change.

The 65-33 vote to resurrect the measure capped two days of political intrigue in which Democrats on both sides of the legislation initially joined forces to block action, then reached agreement with Republicans for votes on other enforcement measures to protect workers who lose jobs as a result of exports.

One of those provisions, to crack down on suspected currency manipulation by China and other U.S. trading partners, was incorporated into a separate bill that passed the Senate earlier in the day on a vote of 78-20. It would require the imposition of tariffs on products from countries found to have artificially set the level of their currency, a practice that makes it harder for U.S. firms to compete and results in the loss of jobs in this country.

The White House announced its opposition to the currency provision, saying it would undermine existing efforts to respond to China and other alleged violator

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I'm not sure what this trade deal means for us.  It's bizarre that the leftists are against it - while Obama and the GOP are for it.

:thud:

If someone could explain it to me, I would appreciate it.  My gut reaction is to be against it. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!