Author Topic: Dozens Feared Dead In Slipper Factory Fire  (Read 539 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Dozens Feared Dead In Slipper Factory Fire
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:19:04 am »
Three people are known to have died in a fire at a footwear factory in the Philippines and there are fears for dozens more.

It took firefighters four hours to get the blaze in Valenzuela City, about 10 miles north of capital Manila, under control.

No survivors were found after they entered the building, mayor Rex Gatchalian told crying relatives who had gathered outside the factory for news.

The fire reportedly started when a welding spark ignited chemicals

Up to 63 people are believed to be missing, according to reports.

"I'm not saying all (the missing) are dead. We're still hoping they were able to jump out," he explained.

The fire reportedly started as a result of a spark from welding work which hit flammable chemicals stored inside the building.

Factory worker Nedy Neverio, 35, was among the distraught relatives waiting for news of their loved ones.

Her sister and two nephews are missing.

"Someone told us no one escaped from the area where she was assigned packing slippers into bags," Ms Neverio said.

"My sister's workplace was near the chemicals. She was not able to get out because the flames had spread."

An injured survivor said many of her fellow workers were trapped on the second floor of the two storey-building.

"My boss and I were running out when we were blocked by fire and smoke," Emma Santa Agata said.

"There was a sudden explosion and he was hit on the arm."

http://news.sky.com/story/1483228/dozens-feared-dead-in-slipper-factory-fire
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Dozens Feared Dead In Slipper Factory Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 03:40:07 am »
The Associated Press ‏@AP 9m9 minutes ago

BREAKING:Official says death toll in Philippine factory fire jumps to at least 45, with 26 missing.
34 retweets 6 favorites
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink