Author Topic: Critics Pounce on Jeb Bush's Defense of Brother's Iraq Policy  (Read 1591 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=644044

Newsmax
Critics Pounce on Jeb Bush's Defense of Brother's Iraq Policy
Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:00 AM

By: Andrea Billups

Likely GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush is doubling down on supporting his elder brother's rationale for entering the 2003 Iraq War, even as some conservatives are miffed by his most recent statements, which could haunt him politically, USA Today reports.

Bush, in an interview, was resolute in saying that his brother, former President George W. Bush, did the right thing — at the time — by entering Iraq, adding the president was acting on the best intelligence information he had available, USA Today said.

"I would have and so would have Hillary Clinton, just to remind everybody," Jeb Bush said in an interview with Fox News' Megyn Kelly. "And so would almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got."

But Kelly quickly pushed Bush on his answer, noting that the so-called weapons of mass destruction, which is why Bush said war was justified, were never found, USA Today said.

"Knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion?" Kelly asked Bush.

He responded: "In retrospect, the intelligence that everybody saw — that the world saw, not just the United States — was faulty. And in retrospect, once we invaded and took out Saddam Hussein, we didn’t focus on security first, and the Iraqis in this incredibly insecure environment turned on the United States military because there was no security for themselves and their families."

Bush added that his brother, more than a decade later, shared his views.

"By the way, guess who thinks that those mistakes took place as well? George W. Bush."

Quickly, however, some Bush's most noted detractors were saying that was the wrong way to go.

Pundit Byron York, in a Washington Examiner editorial published Monday, called Bush's remarks disastrous and "depressing" if indeed he is the future GOP nominee. He predicted they would come back to haunt him as the election cycle continues.

"If Jeb Bush sticks to his position — that he would still authorize war knowing what we know today — it will represent a step backward for the Republican Party," York wrote.

"Jeb's statement is likely to resonate until he either changes his position or loses the race for the Republican nomination. Should he become the nominee, the issue will dog him into the general election campaign."

Conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham said the former Florida governor should have responded "no," because it was later determined that Bush's justification for entering Iraq was wrong, as no weapons of mass destruction were found.

"You can’t think going into Iraq now, as a sane human being, was the right thing to do. That’s like you have no ability to learn from past mistakes at all," Ingraham said of Bush.

NBC News wondered if Bush had "trapped" himself with such a defense of his brother's Iraq policy.

Said NBC of Bush's quandary: "The Iraq question was always going to be problematic for Jeb Bush. Either he throws his brother under the bus, saying George W. Bush made an error in judgment in starting the war. Or he defends the war and finds himself on the wrong side of public opinion (with two-thirds of the country saying the war wasn't worth it, per the October 2014 NBC/WSJ poll)."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Critics Pounce on Jeb Bush's Defense of Brother's Iraq Policy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 03:52:36 pm »

"Knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion?" Kelly asked Bush.

Don't media-people just love 20/20 hindsight questions?

For those who are more conservative than themselves, I mean...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 04:05:11 pm »
Bush didn't understand the question. If he did, there's simply no way he would have answered the way he did.

If he would have invaded KNOWING there were no WMDs, then he's too stupid to be president.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:05:38 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:06:52 pm »
Bush didn't understand the question. If he did, there's simply no way he would have answered the way he did.

If he would have invaded KNOWING there were no WMDs, then he's too stupid to be president.

There WERE WMDs! Tons and tons of them! They just didn't have big bold labels on them that said WMD!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 04:26:01 pm »
The problem wasn't going into Iraq, it was that we tried to nation build after we kicked ass.

We should have left Sadaam where he was and told him to play it the way we wanted or "We'll Be baaaaak".
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 04:56:04 pm »
Raw political instinct tells me that defending Bush II and his Iraq invasion, is not a winning position.

The world has turned strongly against the mission, in part because Bush II himself did such a pitiful job of defending it. He also mistakenly chose to follow Rumsfeld's ill-fated understaffing, instead of the more robust staff levels recommended by Powell. Hence it turned to sh!te  once the dust settled.

Had it not turned to sh!te, and had Bush II revealed the WMDs that were found, his legacy would be much better to stand on. But as it is Iraq and Bush II are a huge negative.

Generally JeBush has good political instincts, but not on this subject.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 04:59:37 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/05/12/jeb-bushs-iraq-quagmire-is-just-getting-started/

Jeb Bush’s Iraq quagmire is just getting started

Get the Opinions Newsletter

Free daily updates delivered just for you.
By Paul Waldman May 12 at 12:22 PM

Last night Fox News aired an interview in which Jeb Bush was asked the question about Iraq that every major politician should have answered by now. Somehow it seemed to catch Bush less than completely prepared. His answer generated the expected attacks from Democrats, but even some Republicans were critical. GOP consultant Ana Navarro now says Bush confided to her that he “misheard the question,” which suggests he’ll be clarifying what he really thinks soon.

This was bound to come up before long. The way it’s now playing suggests that Bush — along with many other Republicans — can’t quite figure out how to answer a question that for most people is pretty straightforward.

Here’s what he said in the interview:

Kelly: Knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion?

Bush: I would have, and so would have Hillary Clinton, just to remind everybody, and so would have almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got.

Kelly: You don’t think it was a mistake?

Bush: In retrospect, the intelligence that everybody saw, that the world saw, not just the United States, was faulty. And in retrospect, once we invaded and took out Saddam Hussein, we didn’t focus on security first, and the Iraqis, in this incredibly insecure environment turned on the United States military because there was no security for themselves and their families. By the way, guess who thinks that those mistakes took places as well: George W. Bush. So, news flash to the world, if they’re trying to find places where there’s big space between me and my brother, this might not be one of those.

If you want to believe that Bush “misheard” the question — and thus answered as though the question was “what would you have done then?” instead of “knowing what we know now” — then you’re more generous than I. It’s hard to predict how Bush will answer it the next time he does an interview.

On one hand, it’s unlikely that he’ll deliver an implicit rebuke to his brother and his administration, all the key figures of which continue to argue to this day that the world is still better off for the war having taken place. What’s more, the imperatives of GOP politics push candidates toward tough talk and a refusal to admit that any Republican administration ever made a mistake about anything.

Yet at the same time, there are some prominent Republicans who don’t accept that line. Talk-show host Laura Ingraham said: “You can’t still think that going into Iraq, now, as a sane human being, was the right thing to do.” Byron York wrote: “If Jeb Bush sticks to his position — that he would still authorize war knowing what we know today — it will represent a step backward for the Republican Party.”

And this isn’t a rare opinion among Republicans generally. This poll taken last year found Republicans evenly split on the question, with 46 percent saying the war was worth it and 44 percent saying it wasn’t. If you ask the question by mentioning the cost in money and lives, over 60 percent of Republicans say it wasn’t worth it.

Every Republican candidate is pulled in two directions: do they admit what most Americans and even most Republicans believe, or do they keep up their support for a war that a GOP president launched and that the whole party invested itself in? At the moment, the only GOP candidate who has said it was a mistake is Rand Paul.

Does Bush have a way out? He may well continue to evade. He may say that we wouldn’t have invaded had we known there were no weapons of mass destruction because there wouldn’t have been enough support in Congress for the authorization, as a way of avoiding the question of whether we should have invaded had we known that. The former is a (probably) accurate assessment of the political environment at the time, but it tells us nothing about the candidate’s own perspective and what he’s learned in the time since.

Because of who his brother is, it was to be expected that Bush would be the first to confront this question. But now that it has happened, all the candidates are likely to be asked — including Hillary Clinton. There was no more damaging issue to Clinton in 2008 than her vote to authorize the war. Barack Obama was in the same place as the Democratic electorate at the time, but she struggled to explain why she gave George W. Bush permission to embark on such a disastrous course (today she says she was reluctant to say the war was a mistake while there were still troops there fighting, but now admits that the war, and her vote in favor of it, were wrong). And she could well find herself in conflict with Democratic voters again.

Much attention has been paid to her supposed recent moves to the left, but all of that has occurred on issues like same-sex marriage and immigration, where she was always roughly in line with Democrats and has shifted with them as the whole party has moved left. Foreign policy, on the other hand, is the area where Clinton has been more conservative throughout her career, a hawk in a party dominated by doves. There may well be foreign policy issues that come up between now and next November — on Iran, Syria, or anyplace else — where she takes a position at odds with liberal Democrats. That could be a genuine problem for her. But it probably won’t amount to as big a problem as Jeb Bush now faces.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 08:02:21 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/jeb-bush-iraq-war-support-misheard-question-117858.html

Bush ally: Jeb 'misheard' Iraq question

A close ally of Jeb Bush said Tuesday that Bush “misheard” a question about the Iraq war, suggesting the former Florida governor was walking back his remarks in the fallout from an interview that aired Monday.

Ana Navarro, a Florida-based GOP consultant and former Bush adviser who remains close to him, said she had exchanged emails with Bush about the interview Tuesday morning and that he wrote that he misheard a question regarding the authorization of the invasion of Iraq.

“I emailed him this morning and I said to him, ‘Hey, I’m a little confused by this answer so I’m genuinely wondering did you mishear the question?’” Navarro said. “And he said, ‘Yes, I misheard the question.’”

When asked by Fox News’ Megyn Kelly if he would have authorized the invasion “knowing what we know now,” Bush answered in the affirmative, pointing out that Hillary Clinton shared the same position.

“I would have,” Bush said. “And so would Hillary Clinton, just to remind everybody. So would have everybody that was confronted by the intelligence they got.”

The response — that he would have made the same decision, in full light of the facts as they are now known — drew immediate and harsh condemnation even on the right.

Byron York of the Washington Examiner excoriated Bush on Monday, writing that his view of the war is “considerably less clear-eyed than that of his brother,” who has since acknowledged that the intelligence on which the war was launched turned out to be false.

“If Jeb Bush sticks to his position — that he would still authorize war knowing what we know today — it will represent a step backward for the Republican Party,” York wrote.

He wasn’t the only sharp critic.

“What he said was just rubbish,” said conservative radio host Laura Ingraham. “You can’t think going into Iraq now, as a sane human being, was the right thing to do.”

Bush’s Right to Rise team, which had been providing reporters with transcripts of the interview taped Saturday with Fox News’ Megyn Kelly ahead of the Monday night airing, has yet to provide an official response to Navarro’s comment.

As the brother of former President George W. Bush , the Iraq issue is especially fraught for Jeb Bush, and his comments came against the backdrop of a Republican primary dominated by foreign policy and national security concerns. By backing his brother’s decision — and arguably reaching beyond it — and aligning himself with some of the former president’s advisers, the former Florida governor has conveyed the idea that his own foreign policy vision would be similar to his brother’s: muscular and interventionist.

On Monday, Bush’s team dismissed the idea that it was in damage control mode.

Tim Miller, the spokesman for Bush’s Right to Rise PAC, said Monday that the interview with Kelly “is not new thinking in any way,” pointing to Bush’s February speech to the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations in which he first tried to draw distinctions between his brother’s foreign policy and his own views.

“There were mistakes made in Iraq, for sure,” Jeb Bush said of the Iraq war in February, noting that the intelligence the attack was based on turned out to be false. “Not creating an environment of security after the successful taking-out of Hussein was a mistake.”

But in the same speech, viewed by many as a first attempt to distance himself from his brother’s foreign policy record, Bush praised the 2007 troop surge that quelled much of the violence in Iraq, calling it a “courageous” decision; he laid out a vision of the U.S. role in the world that left little daylight between him and the 43rd president.

“The United States has an undiminished ability to shape events and build alliances of free people,” he said. “We can project power and enforce peaceful stability in far-off areas of the globe.”

Kelly herself has also stated that she believes Bush didn’t hear her question in its entirety and failed to pick up on the nuance.

“I do think, in fairness to Governor Bush, when I said ‘knowing what we know now, would we have invaded Iraq,’ I think he was trying to answer the question: ‘Do you think it was a mistake at the time?’” she said.

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 09:05:22 pm »
bkmk

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »
Misheard the question, or misthought the answer he gave?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 12:24:36 am »
Has anyone ever accused Jeb of being smart?   :pondering:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 02:42:46 am »
Kelly: Knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion?

Bush: I would have, and so would have Hillary Clinton, just to remind everybody, and so would have almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got.

I know that the "gotcha politics" value of this is too great for anyone to actually pay attention to the details, but I'd like to point out that the grammar of the sentence tells a story.

"... so would have Hillary Clinton, and so would have almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got."

The fact that he based his response on the idea that the decision was made based on being "confronted with the intelligence they got", tells me that he was talking about making the decision back then, not now, because now we know (and he knows) that the "intelligence they got" back then, that was used to make the decision, was faulty.

We need to pay more attention to the question that he answered than to the question that was asked.

He heard the question wrong. He thought Kelly wanted to know if he would have made the same decision then.

Now, carry on with the "gotcha".

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:44:22 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 03:17:42 am »
I didn't even twig that the gotcha was a thing, understanding his response to be exactly as you said from the start. If he'd been in the hot seat AT THE TIME he'd have done the same thing. Pretty much anyone would have.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 04:06:07 am »
I didn't even twig that the gotcha was a thing, understanding his response to be exactly as you said from the start. If he'd been in the hot seat AT THE TIME he'd have done the same thing. Pretty much anyone would have.

They in fact did:

Senate Democratic YEAs on the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002

Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Daschle (D-SD)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)   
Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:06:28 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 04:52:44 pm »
Jeb was CLEARLY answering the question as he would have responded AT THE TIME.  (I heard the whole interview, and it was clear as to what he meant).

And like him or not, he is clearly not a stupid man.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 05:47:03 pm »
None of this will affect Jeb if he's the nominee, right? I mean, Democrats are all about clarity, and wouldn't make it look like Jeb will just be GWB's 3rd term?

Relax GOPe, keep pushing for Jeb, there's no risk.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 06:08:55 pm »
Jeb was CLEARLY answering the question as he would have responded AT THE TIME.  (I heard the whole interview, and it was clear as to what he meant).

And like him or not, he is clearly not a stupid man.
Agreed. Saw an interesting exchange on the Fresno channel, whereby one poster referred to another as "FR-e" apparently resorting to name calling and labeling, of anybody not playing the one opinion only groupthink game.

The political problem for JeBush was his inability to answer clearly, immediately, and in simple enough terms that they were understood right away, without need of follow-up explanations.

Do that too often, and you slip back in the pack.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 06:09:20 pm »
Relax GOPe, keep pushing for Jeb, there's no risk.

Yeah, the Clintoons and the Bushes are big buddies going way back.

I always thought that George H 'laid down' so Slick could get in... so it would be no shock if Jeb lays down so that Her Heinous can get in...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan