Author Topic: Rand Paul threatens Patriot Act filibuster  (Read 1590 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul threatens Patriot Act filibuster
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:21:13 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/241635-rand-paul-threatens-patriot-act-filibuster

By David McCabe - 05/11/15 02:55 PM EDT

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said in an interview published Monday that he will filibuster a reauthorization of provisions within the Patriot Act.

"I'm going to lead the charge in the next couple of weeks as the Patriot Act comes forward," the GOP presidential candidate told the New Hampshire Union Leader. "We will be filibustering. We will be trying to stop it. We are not going to let them run over us. And we are going to demand amendments and we are going to make sure the American people know that some of us at least are opposed to unlawful searches."

On Sunday, Oregon Democrat Sen. Ron Wyden said he would filibuster a short-term extension of the current provisions, which critics say give the government unreasonable surveillance powers.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) has said that he favors a full reauthorization of the measures, while other lawmakers say they would be willing to pass reform legislation.

A short-term extension would give lawmakers more time to sort out their differences beyond the current June 1 deadline for renewing the law.

A filibuster of the Patriot Act provisions could give Paul more visibility as the presidential campaign ramps up. He lists his opposition to the NSA’s surveillance programs on the homepage of his website and sells a “NSA Spy Cam Blocker” in his campaign store.

Paul has been behind notable filibusters in the past. He raised his profile in 2013 by filibustering the nomination of CIA Director John Brennan over America’s drone program.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Rand Paul threatens Patriot Act filibuster
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:03:55 am »
And to think I was all for Rand Paul last  year. He's cooked his goose with me.

He's no different from his goofy daddy.  Should've known apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:24:59 am »
And to think I was all for Rand Paul last  year. He's cooked his goose with me.

He's no different from his goofy daddy.  Should've known apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Me too. I think his instinct regarding national security is very naïve.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 05:36:27 am »
truth_seeker and sinkspur

I hope I've told you both how I respect your views and enjoy and actually learn things from your posts.  I agree the Patriot Act is necessary. 

Rand Paul currently has a support core that doesn't like the Patriot Act.  He has to pander to that group.  When he is President then he will have to decide if he must continue to pander to those voters, or do what must be done.  I suspect a President Paul will extend the Patriot Act just as Obama has.

I'd remind you that Obama was against the Patriot Act, the Bush Tax cuts, and gay marriage until he became President.  Some times a candidate has to dance with the girl he brought.  I have been unexpectedly delighted with the number of times during the last election and up till now that Senator Paul has shown he is a team player.  So, though I too see real danger in filibustering the Patriot Act, I also think it is not a vote killer for me as long as the filibuster fails.

Perhaps I'm just making excuses for Senator Paul because he passes the "would I like to have a beer with him" test.

I think Hitlery might drink me under the table.

I also appreciate the work Senator Paul has done on GOP minority outreach.

Offline ZakCarter

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »
I'm a newbie here and a Rand Paul supporter - I like Ben Carson and Ted Cruz though too and will be watching to see how things play out - I also think the Patriot Act needs an overhaul, and agencies like the NSA need to spend more time focused on actual threats rather than bulk data collection. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:58:12 am »
Welcome in Zak.

Rand Paul, eh? Could be worse, I guess.  :tongue2:

Not as worried about the NSA as some, after all, our benevolent leaders here just made GCHQ's snooping retroactively legal.

The NSA snooping has the fault which is ,typically American. You guys are efficient, tech wizzes who are usually two steps ahead of the rest of the world, but my God, you can't resist the words "supersize me." The data collection program, as is, is too damned big.
Say you ask the data center for all the details on Mr. Zak Carter, of Anytown USA. By the time the search is finished and the resulting encycolpedia  analysed, it has to be started again because an equal amount of data has come in in the mean time.
Without sufficient people - not machines, machines are too inflexible - to do the actual analysis, the only thing that massive, intimidating black building is useful for is a space heater boondoggle for the planet.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 01:33:32 am »
I'm a newbie here and a Rand Paul supporter - I like Ben Carson and Ted Cruz though too and will be watching to see how things play out - I also think the Patriot Act needs an overhaul, and agencies like the NSA need to spend more time focused on actual threats rather than bulk data collection.

Welcome ZakCarter

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:09:46 pm »

Welcome!   :beer:

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 11:11:57 pm »
They're using fear as a tool to slowly strip your rights. I hope people wake up before it's too late.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 03:08:13 am »
I don't care for Rand that much, but good on him for this one.

The "Patriot Act" is just one more law with a misnomer for a name.

It's about as intended with protecting "patriotism" and freedom, as the "Affordable Care Act" is about with providing individuals with health care.