Author Topic: Obama says Elizabeth Warren 'absolutely wrong' on trade  (Read 360 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Obama says Elizabeth Warren 'absolutely wrong' on trade
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:13:18 pm »
Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama is personally challenging some of the assertions being made by his fellow Democratic Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren over his push for greater free trade authority. In an interview with Yahoo, released on Saturday, the President said "she's absolutely wrong" when talking about possible implications if Congress grants him more authority to negotiate trade pacts.

Warren has become one of the fiercest critics against the proposal for fast-track authority for trade agreements which would mean the Senate could only vote up or down on them but not approve any amendments.

RELATED: Democrats work against Obama on trade

Earlier this week, Warren said in a speech that such authority could mean a future President could undo some of the banking reforms put in after the 2008 economic downturn.

In reaction to the possibility of the banking regulations being relaxed, the President told Yahoo, "The notion that I had this massive fight with Wall Street to make sure we don't repeat what happened from 2007-2008, and then I signed a provision that would unravel it? I'd have to be pretty stupid, and it doesn't make any sense."

Read more: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/09/politics/barack-obama-elizabeth-warren-trade/index.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink