Author Topic: Is Matt Drudge the second most influential man in America?  (Read 1162 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/241351-is-matt-drudge-the-second-most-influential-man-in-america

May 07, 2015, 02:00 pm
Is Matt Drudge the second most influential man in America?

By Brent Budowsky, columnist, The Hill

While as a liberal, I do not suggest the following with a great deal of pleasure, but Matt Drudge is by far the single most influential person in the American media, and it is fair to ask: Is he the second most influential man in America?

For more than any individual in the media, Drudge dominates his competitors to the degree that he has no competitors, and determines what you watch on television, what you read in newspapers, what you hear and radio, and even what you read on the Internet about politics more than any single person in American history.

MSNBC may claim it is liberal and Fox News may be the house organ for conservatives, but if you turn on either in the morning, you will often see the guiding hand of Drudge. The New York Times may consider itself the finest newspaper in the world, but while one of the Times' political reporters is reduced to writing ditties complaining that Hillary Clinton does not answer her questions, one entry on the Drudge Report can trigger 100 questions to any politician in America. Network anchors come and go, but Drudge remains, the omnipresent force who is required reading for political editors, television producers and campaign managers from all parties.

Somewhere in the hereafter, the likes of William Randolph Hearst are looking toward Drudge on Earth with envy and asking: Why didn't I ever get that big?

If anyone believes there is any individual more powerful in media than Drudge, be my guest and name your choice.

One of the great mysteries of modern life is that the highest Democrats in the land complain about Drudge, read Drudge like talmudic scholars poring over biblical texts — as Republicans do — but have never even tried to compete with Drudge in the marketplace of media and ideas.

Is Drudge the second most influential man in America, behind the president? It is a debatable proposition that might well be true. More than any single person in American politics besides the president, he determines the content of debate in our national discourse on an hourly basis.

In many ways, I deplore the influence of Matt Drudge, but in the meantime, would someone send this piece to Drudge and maybe he will post it (wink, wink)?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Is Matt Drudge the second most influential man in America?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:00:18 pm »
The Drudgereport is bogged down loading too many advertisements, and frequently reloading !!

Instead, I am checking the AP's "text only" site. It is the mainstream news.

http://news.myway.com/index/id/top%7Cap.html

If I absolutely must have the fringe stuff, there are plenty of "conservative" sites for that.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »
The Drudgereport is bogged down loading too many advertisements, and frequently reloading !!

I agree. If I am wireless, on a slow connection in a coffee shop, every one of his reloads is a twenty second wait for me. Aggravating to say the least since he seems to reload every 120 seconds.

I go to Drudge for a quick scan to see what's up, and then go elsewhere to read the news. I read as many headlines as I can before the first reload and then I am out. And I never keep Drudge open just for the net usage alone.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 04:24:34 pm »
I have Ghostery so I do not see all the ads. Well we now know which website will be targeted by FCC on June 12th. I just go to Drudge to see what his headline is.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 05:12:04 pm »
I have Ghostery so I do not see all the ads. Well we now know which website will be targeted by FCC on June 12th. I just go to Drudge to see what his headline is.
I am not worried about "privacy," but I do not like the time for ads to load.

Does Ghostery block ads on newspaper sites? Those are the very worst. 

I was looking for an alternative to Drudge, when I discovered the AP text only site. If I just want to know the major stories around the world, it is pretty good.

I accept it is "biased" in favor of the old fashioned mainstream. That is perfectly fine for most things, to see what the facts are today.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:15:02 pm by truth_seeker »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 05:26:34 pm »
Running Windows 7 Professional, and I don't see any issues with DRUDGE.

And, if you think AP 'anything' is a better source of what's happening at any given moment, I have a bridge to sell.    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »
Running Windows 7 Professional, and I don't see any issues with DRUDGE.

And, if you think AP 'anything' is a better source of what's happening at any given moment, I have a bridge to sell.    :whistle:
I am not in the market for bridges. When I am, I will shop with care.

I needed Drudge and Free Republic, 15 years ago. They were ahead of what little competition they had then.

I get most of what they offer, on XM Satellite radio. Fox News, Fox Business, and others.

I don't need to go to Drudge. I let others do that, and post them here. :patriot:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:39:34 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 06:44:11 pm »
Not been to Drudge in years, never intend to visit again. I despise people who feed on and deal in fear.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 06:53:59 pm »

Is Matt Drudge the second most influential man in America?

He means after Rush Limbaugh... right?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:55:00 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 07:09:39 pm »
I am not worried about "privacy," but I do not like the time for ads to load.

Does Ghostery block ads on newspaper sites? Those are the very worst. 

I was looking for an alternative to Drudge, when I discovered the AP text only site. If I just want to know the major stories around the world, it is pretty good.

I accept it is "biased" in favor of the old fashioned mainstream. That is perfectly fine for most things, to see what the facts are today.

It blocks most of the ads.  I don't ever see any ads when I go to the Drudge.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 07:13:21 pm »
Not been to Drudge in years, never intend to visit again. I despise people who feed on and deal in fear.
News and Journalism are interesting. Some see a moral basis to get the "news" free of bias, embellishment, etc.

But there are costs, and to get the news, they have to sell advertising and/or subscriptions.

Advertisers need "eyeballs" to sell their products, so those eyeballs must be lured in by the edginess of the headlines.

Internet media options destroyed print media. But the things that got eyeballs on newspapers, gets them on online sources too.

"If it bleeds, it leads." That is used in a variety of ways, to sell both "liberal" slanted news, and "conservative" slanted news.

The pure facts might concern a new oilfield. The conservative slant would emphasize the jobs, the economic benefits for the community, and of course the products supplied.

A liberal slant might emphasize the greedy corporation behind it, the potential for pollution damage to species, need for limits and regulations etc.

The government might see a situation for income, and to regulate. Politicians would have another topic to talk out of both sides of their mouths, depending on the audience.

And readers on both sides would have something to argue over. Eventually these readers could become so frustrated with their opponents, they wish them banned, and they decide to all congregate with only people they can agree with.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 08:51:10 pm »
News and Journalism are interesting. Some see a moral basis to get the "news" free of bias, embellishment, etc.

But there are costs, and to get the news, they have to sell advertising and/or subscriptions.

Advertisers need "eyeballs" to sell their products, so those eyeballs must be lured in by the edginess of the headlines.

Using firefox in Linux, when I load Drudge the status bar at the bottom will show all the sites you are touching. It is amazing.

Of course it is just flashing by but there seems to be dozens and dozens of sites and applets involved in every reload.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:52:58 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.