Author Topic: Staten Island special election 2015: Dan Donovan wins Congress seat  (Read 760 times)

Offline aligncare

Republican District Attorney Daniel Donovan has won Tuesday's special election and is going to be Staten Island's new congressman.

(A volunteer that works with me at Staten Island Hope Animal Rescue retired as secretary in the DA's office and had nothing but good to say about Dan Donovan.)

See an interesting mini-tour of Staten Island's political culture

New York's 11th congressional seat was vacated by Rep. Michael Grimm who resigned January 5, after pleading guilty on Dec. 23 in federal court in Brooklyn to one count of aiding in the filing of a false tax return. He had been accused of hiding more than $1 million in sales and wages while running a Manhattan health-food restaurant.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:49:45 pm by aligncare »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Donovan ran for AG, I think it was last year. Of course, being liberal New York, the other guy (Schneiderman, the incumbent) won.

Special elections sometimes turn out pretty weird here in New York, so considering that Donovan held the seat, that's good.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Politics4us

Staten Island is conservative.

Offline aligncare

Staten Island is conservative.

Yeah, but do they have to drive like lunatics?  Pass on the right at intersections, barrel along residential streets, dart in and out of traffic, ignore red lights, stop signs, yield signs, right of way. They speed and would rather kill you than let you merge.

Other than that nice group of conservative people.

Offline aligncare

I forgot to mention some mitigating factors in Staten Island driving. Every artery on or off the island or even near the island is under construction and has been for at least 14 3/4 years!! Islanders are tired of the daily jockeying, I get that. But, let's not forget our humanity.

One last vent. WHEN will the Staten Island expressway finally be completed? ...or the BQE, or Belt parkway, or Bayonne bridge etc.... My 30-miles commute, minimum 90 minutes.