Author Topic: Nepal earthquake: Humanitarian aid is piling up unused at Kathmandu airport because of import restrictions, UN warns  (Read 334 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Nepal’s government has been urged by the United Nations to relax import restrictions that are hampering the delivery of international humanitarian supplies to earthquake victims struggling to find basic food and shelter.

In pointed remarks that underscore growing concern over the slow pace of relief to survivors of the earthquake that struck the Himalayan country nine days ago,

The UN’s humanitarian chief, Baroness Valerie Amos, reminded Nepal’s Prime Minister, Sushil Koirala, that he had signed a 2007 agreement to allow simpler and faster customs clearance for relief aid in the event of a disaster.

“He has undertaken to ensure that happens, so I hope that from now we will see an improvement in those administrative issues,” she said. “I am also conscious of the urgent need to provide emergency shelter and basic goods and services to people affected as the monsoon season rapidly approaches. So many people have lost everything.”

Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nepal-earthquake-humanitarian-aid-is-piling-up-unused-at-kathmandu-airport-because-of-import-restrictions-un-warns-10223038.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink