Author Topic: 'Come on blonde,’ Ankara Mayor challenges US spokesperson  (Read 851 times)

rangerrebew

Come on blonde,’ Ankara Mayor challenges US spokesperson

ISTANBUL

The mayor of Turkey’s capital has challenged a U.S. State Department spokesperson by referring to a pro-government media report that slammed her as “stupid blonde.”

“Come on blonde, answer now,” Ankara Mayor Melih Gökçek said in a tweet early April 29. The tweet also included an image from the recent riots in Baltimore, as well as the photo of Marie Harf and a caption that reads: “Where are you stupid blonde, who accused Turkish police of using disproportionate force?”

Gökçek was referring to a report on Ensonhaber.com, a staunchly pro-government online news website. “U.S. police displayed a harsh attitude against the activists in Baltimore. But U.S. State Department spokesperson Marie Harf, who had been repeatedly criticizing Turkey during the Gezi incidents, is now silent,” it said.

Meanwhile, Harf April 29 commented on Gökçek’s tweets in the State Department’s Daily Briefing.

“I really don’t think I’m going to dignify them with a response,” said Harf, adding that President Barack Obama spoke April 28 of soul-searching about the situation in Baltimore as well as other officials and that they would carry out an investigation.

“And I would note that the president didn’t just talk about the specific incident and the investigation, but really about the fact that we have to do some soul-searching here, and spoke, I think, very deeply and personally about an issue that is clearly one that people feel very passionately about,” said Harf stressing that the United States would transparently and openly address challenges whether they are at home or abroad.

Many national and international organizations had criticized Turkish police officers for using disproportionate force during the massive Gezi Park protests in 2013.

Gökçek, a veteran politician from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), also slammed CNN International and the Economist for the same reason in separate tweets.

As it generally happens, hundreds among his more than 2.5 million followers joined Gökçek’s online campaign which targeted Harf and the international media on April 29.

Gökçek has been a polarizing figure, most recently by being accused by Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç of corruption and stirring another debate by erecting a giant robot statue near Turkey’s new presidential palace in the capital city.

April/29/2015

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/come-on-blonde-ankara-mayor-challenges-us-spokesperson.aspx?PageID=238&NID=81706&NewsCatID=338
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:50:10 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline GourmetDan

Re: 'Come on blonde,’ Ankara Mayor challenges US spokesperson
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:00:59 pm »

“I really don’t think I’m going to dignify them with a response,” said Harf...

Being hoisted on your own petard is never pleasant...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 04:59:15 pm »

“I really don’t think I’m going to dignify them with a response,” said Harf 

But she DID just respond to it so she dignified it. :whistle:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:00:37 pm »

Why do I always think of 'barf' whenever I see her name?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 05:21:55 pm »

Why do I always think of 'barf' whenever I see her name?

I think of "stupid", perhaps because "Hanf" is German for cannabis, and marijuana makes people dumb.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 05:37:14 pm »
I always read her name as half.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:43:12 pm »
I always read her name as half.

Yep. As in "half-wit".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn