Author Topic: How Freddie 'Pepper' Gray, 25, lived off a lead paint settlement after being poisoned as a child and was well known to police following at least 18 arrests  (Read 1158 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059727/Who-Freddie-Gray-arrested-does-Baltimore-s-reaction-feel-like-Ferguson-again.html

Suffered lead poisoning as a child due to toxic levels in disabled mother's rented home and was deemed incapable of leading normal functioning life
    Lived off a 'lead check' and spent his money on designer accessories
    April 12th he was arrested for possession of a knife and taken into custody
    A week later he died from injuries sustained during police van journey

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Gosh, I remember the campaign against lead-based paint back in the sixties when I was a child!  Do they even make lead-based paint anymore?  Sounds like he and his family have lived off of disability checks for their whole lives.  Disabled mother living in a rented house with lead-based paint?  I can't speak for Baltimore - but I used to do house inspections for HUD and it was very important that no HUD rental contained lead based paint - and that was back in the eighties.  I think it would be a safe bet that the family was living in HUD housing if they were disabled.  Not to say that there were never any inspectors that turned their eye away for certain slumlords that made it financially "easy" for them to do so.   

One thing I observed while working that job, a great many of the people applying for and receiving HUD rent money were shrewdly clever and although not able to find work, they were quite able to sniff out opportunities for government benefits - quite genius at it, actually. 

Just an observation.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

One thing I observed while working that job, a great many of the people applying for and receiving HUD rent money were shrewdly clever and although not able to find work, they were quite able to sniff out opportunities for government benefits - quite genius at it, actually. 

You don't get lead-poisoning just by living with lead paint.  You actually have to eat lead-based paint chips to get it.

His momma probably fed them to him to get a check...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline alicewonders

You don't get lead-poisoning just by living with lead paint.  You actually have to eat lead-based paint chips to get it.

His momma probably fed them to him to get a check...

Sounds harsh, but it would not surprise me.  I can't tell you how many times I saw young mothers come in our office - crying that they weren't getting enough benefits to buy diapers and food for their babies - while wearing expensive designer jeans and clothing!  While smoking cigarettes!

People want to think a mother would always put their children first - but it isn't always true!

Offline Rivergirl

Why would we assume that there actually was a lead paint issue?   A claim is not proof.  There are millions living off the system with no real reason to be doing so.

Offline alicewonders

Why would we assume that there actually was a lead paint issue?   A claim is not proof.  There are millions living off the system with no real reason to be doing so.

That's a very good point Rivergirl.   I see lawyers around here get in trouble for falsifying disability claims - all the time.  It is very possible someone could receive benefits for a false claim.