Author Topic: Bake Shop Owners Ordered To Pay $135,000 For Their Religious Beliefs  (Read 896 times)

rangerrebew

Bake Shop Owners Ordered To Pay $135,000 For Their Religious Beliefs

Robert Gehl 
April 26, 2015

We now know the price paid for sticking to your religious beliefs: $135,000.

That’s what a judge in Oregon ordered the owners of Sweet Cakes to pay when they refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding in 2013.

The owners of the bake shop, Aaron and Melissa Klein, said the fine will likely bankrupt them.

The Daily Signal is reporting the dispute started in January 2013 when Rachel Cryer was told Sweet Cakes couldn’t help her because there would be “two brides” at the wedding.

In the order, the judge said:

“[T]he forum concludes that $75,000 and $60,000, are appropriate awards to compensate [the same-sex couple] for the emotional suffering they experienced,” wrote Alan McCullough, administrative law judge for Oregon’s Bureau of Labor and Industries in his proposed order.

The Kleins are both Christians and have said since they believe marriage is between one man and one woman, their religious convictions kept them from participating in the wedding.

After Rachel Cryer and her partner Laurel Bowman-Cryer filed a complaint (instead of just finding another bakery), the state of Oregon went on the attack for the gay couple, who are now married.

The state’s “Public Accommodation Law” bans discrimination based on sexual orientation.

The couple were found guilty and ordered to pay up.

In order to reach $135,000, Rachel and Laurel submitted a long list of alleged physical, emotional and mental damages they claim to have experienced as a result of the Kleins’ unlawful conduct.

One of the women, whose name was redacted to protect her privacy, listed 88 symptoms as grounds for compensation. The other, whose name was also redacted, listed 90.

Examples of symptoms include “acute loss of confidence,” “doubt,” “excessive sleep,” “felt mentally raped, dirty and shameful,” “high blood pressure,” “impaired digestion,” “loss of appetite,” “migraine headaches,” “pale and sick at home after work,” “resumption of smoking habit,” “shock” “stunned,” “surprise,” “uncertainty,” “weight gain” and “worry.”

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/bake-shop-owners-ordered-to-pay-135000-for-their-religious-beliefs
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:14:54 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Bake Shop Owners Ordered To Pay $135,000 For Their Religious Beliefs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:37:39 pm »
Freedom of conscience is once again under assault in America, this time from the Left, which selects targets of its manifold hatreds, and then employs unconstitutional, but locally popular laws against them.

Whereas most gay couples would have simply walked down the street to another bakery willing to do business with them, this particular couple whipped up a lawsuit concocted of two cups manufactured outrage, a teaspoon of feigned injury, and a dollop of sneering hatred.

Because for the radicals now in control of our culture, it is insufficient for religious traditionalists to accept homosexuals as human beings. Nor is it any longer acceptable to even verbally approve of their choices.

No. Now one must be forced by the State to actively assist in the celebration of their lifestyle, under penalty of law.

If I were the owner, I would refuse to pay the fine, lock the doors at the appropriate moment, sit inside on the floor in a peaceful prayer circle with my family and supporters, and with a camera streaming live video on the internet, wait for the authorities to come.

Let the world see what oppression truly looks like.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »
Can you imagine what the pictures of them being cuffed and hauled off to jail would look like in the morning paper? PR nightmare for the state.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:56:03 pm »
Can you imagine what the pictures of them being cuffed and hauled off to jail would look like in the morning paper? PR nightmare for the state.

That's one picture you'll never see in the New York Times or Washington Post, however. That's why it should be streamed live.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:02:19 pm »
I am going to 'choose' a gay bakery and make them cater a wedding between me and my dog. The wedding cake has to say, under penalty of law, "Woofie love it when a give it to him."

And if you break 'Hussein's law' then you have to go bankrupt. That is just the way it is, these days.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:43 pm »
I am going to 'choose' a gay bakery and make them cater a wedding between me and my dog. The wedding cake has to say, under penalty of law, "Woofie love it when a give it to him."

And if you break 'Hussein's law' then you have to go bankrupt. That is just the way it is, these days.

I like your style.