Author Topic: Chris Rock Thinks Catering To Black America Is The Only Way To Save Baseball. Is He Right? [POLL]  (Read 1272 times)

rangerrebew

- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Chris Rock Thinks Catering To Black America Is The Only Way To Save Baseball. Is He Right? [POLL]

Posted By Christian Datoc On 10:27 PM 04/23/2015 In | No Comments

It’s no secret: baseball is struggling.

Little League participation has dropped by 20 percent since 1995. World Series viewership has been halved over the same time frame. Even Major League Baseball knows the American public is losing interest in America’s game. (RELATED: MLB Wastes Time, Trying To Save Time)

Don’t get me wrong, I live, breath and sleep baseball — I wouldn’t have played for 17 freakin’ years if I hadn’t — but many of my contemporaries simply don’t feel the same, and it’s sad to watch the sport I love slowly die.

Thankfully, Chris Rock has a solution. The comedian offered his two-cents on how the game can be saved on HBO’s “Real Sports.”

WATCH:

To be honest, I’m a little torn over this one. As a bi-racial individual, I DON’T think the game is too white. That being said, something definitely needs to be done before baseball goes the way of XFL.

What do you think?

Follow Datoc on Twitter and Facebook

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/23/chris-rock-thinks-catering-to-black-america-is-the-only-way-to-save-baseball-is-he-right-poll/

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Baseball is in no fear.

In case nobody noticed, the Hispanic has already saved the game.

Don't believe me?   Read the starting rosters on the major league rosters, as well as their A, AA and AAA farm clubs.

And now that CUBA is out in the open, watch out!   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

rangerrebew

Baseball is in no fear.

In case nobody noticed, the Hispanic has already saved the game.

Don't believe me?   Read the starting rosters on the major league rosters, as well as their A, AA and AAA farm clubs.

And now that CUBA is out in the open, watch out!

I think you have hit the nail on the head as to Rock's concerns. :thumbsup2:

Offline aligncare

Watching a pitchers battle is like watching grass grow.

Could the reason little league participation has dropped 20 percent since '95 be that baseball is being eclipsed by a more exciting, action-packed sport for kids — soccer? I've seen soccer catching on big time in my suburban community in just the last 10-15 years.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Could the reason little league participation has dropped 20 percent since '95 be that baseball is being eclipsed by a more exciting, action-packed sport for kids — soccer? I've seen soccer catching on big time in my suburban community in just the last 10-15 years.
If the Euro-purists have their way with that sport, it will become more boring than baseball.

Perhaps the problem is not with baseball, but in sport in general. Remember, not too long ago, there were anti-football activists cheering a decline in people playing that sport. I suspect it's mostly an across-the-board decline.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

It's all personal opinion. I'll admit that baseball isn't action packed, but it is like an old movie with dialogue versus stuff blowing up. It has a plot, there is struggle and strategy. I prefer baseball to watching lawn fairies run around for a couple hours in a 1-0 barnburner.  :silly:

Offline aligncare

It's all personal opinion. I'll admit that baseball isn't action packed, but it is like an old movie with dialogue versus stuff blowing up. It has a plot, there is struggle and strategy. I prefer baseball to watching lawn fairies run around for a couple hours in a 1-0 barnburner.  :silly:

I grew up on baseball so I understand your point. But, you dismiss soccer unfairly.

I think soccer with it's constant action is more attuned to the computer age mentality of today. It seems only natural that soccer would appeal to a new generation of computer kids.

Baseball comes to us from a different age when we enjoyed a slower pace of life.

Offline Relic

I grew up on baseball so I understand your point. But, you dismiss soccer unfairly.

I think soccer with it's constant action is more attuned to the computer age mentality of today. It seems only natural that soccer would appeal to a new generation of computer kids.

Baseball comes to us from a different age when we enjoyed a slower pace of life.

"constant action" - I don't think that term means what you think it means.

What soccer offers the trophy generation is a chance to be on the field, all the time, even if just jogging around. To a spectator, watching the ball passed from side to side with an occasional attempt on goal is an acquired taste to say the least.

In baseball, the ball will find you, and if you aren't prepared, you will be embarrassed. Not to mention, taking a fastball in the ribs is painful, and helicopter parents reject any sort of danger for their little precious.

But, obviously I am biased.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:08:02 pm by Relic »

Offline PzLdr

Soccer? Are you kidding me? A sport where people run around for 90 minutes and have orgasms over a tie? Where the patron saint is the Venus de Milo? Give me a break!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Could the reason little league participation has dropped 20 percent since '95 be that baseball is being eclipsed by a more exciting, action-packed...

activity for kids known as video gaming and virtual reality.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The great baseball writer and author Tom Boswell said in one of his book:  "Attending a baseball game is like attending Church.  Many attend, but few understand."

IOW, baseball is a game that can be watched on a myriad of different levels.  It's also a game of anticipation.

And, at every moment, there are at least a half dozen things/strategies going on that the average fan in the stands or watching on the screen isn't even aware of.

I played baseball at a very high level up until I was 25 years old. State and city champs, played in the Little League WS as a young lad.

My sons, all grown up, still ask me if they can take me to an Orioles or Nationals game, because I'm always pointing out things going on that to which they're not aware.  Not meaning to brag here, just trying to prove my point.

And BTW....soccer sucks.   :laugh:

And, a 1-0 pitcher's duel with great defense is actually the ultimate experience, IMO.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Football is great (keep the word soccer to yourself, or I'll start calling baseball rounders again). When it's played right, at least, and you don't have some prima donna on the pitch.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

Highly skilled footballers (soccer player, for you non-Brits  :laugh:) are like dancers. They seem nearly to float above the ball as their movements misdirect the defense. Then suddenly, the player shoots a pass to a teammate who seemly comes from out of nowhere to score.

It takes great skill and stamina to play the game well.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"Chris Rock Thinks Catering To Black America Is The Only Way To Save Baseball. Is He Right?"

Catering to blacks?

What about that whole Jackie Robinson thing?

Wasn't that enough?

Give them a (black) finger...
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In baseball, the ball will find you, and if you aren't prepared, you will be embarrassed. Not to mention, taking a fastball in the ribs is painful, and helicopter parents reject any sort of danger for their little precious.
I've played baseball. There are ways of burying a kid who has no talent. It's called right field.

Quote from: DCPatriot
And, a 1-0 pitcher's duel with great defense is actually the ultimate experience, IMO.
I don't get how watching the same repetitive action, over and over and over again—a pitcher, throwing the ball to the catcher—can be anything but frustrating and annoying after a few innings.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

I've played baseball. There are ways of burying a kid who has no talent. It's called right field.
 I don't get how watching the same repetitive action, over and over and over again—a pitcher, throwing the ball to the catcher—can be anything but frustrating and annoying after a few innings.

I've played and coached. I can tell you, partly through skill, partly through chance, the ball finds the weakest member of your defense. It is possible to hit the ball to right field on purpose if you notice that the kid there has his back to the plate and his glove on his head.

As for seeing a pitcher's duel as repetitive action, that's ok. A baseball enthusiast sees more. Pitch selection, location, batters trying to run up the pitch count, situational defense. If we all liked the same things, it would be a boring world.

Offline aligncare

I used to like baseball. That is, until going to Yankee stadium meant taking out a second mortgage on my house to buy a couple of tickets, 2 hot dogs and a box of cracker jacks.

De gustibus non disputandum est