Author Topic: Vulnerable Republicans vote for Lynch  (Read 1103 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Vulnerable Republicans vote for Lynch
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:44:02 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/239889-vulnerable-republicans-vote-for-lynch

April 23, 2015, 02:45 pm
Vulnerable Republicans vote for Lynch

By Jessica Taylor

Greg Nash

Senate Republicans in danger of losing their seats in 2016 mostly split with their party to back Loretta Lynch as the next attorney general.

Four of the chamber’s most vulnerable GOP incumbents — Sens. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.), Ron Johnson (Wis.), Mark Kirk (Ill.) and Rob Portman (Ohio) — voted to confirm Lynch, who faced a long delay in being confirmed as the first African-American female to head the Justice Department. Ten Republicans in total joined Democrats in supporting her nomination.

Two other at-risk Republicans, Sens. Pat Toomey (Pa.) and Richard Burr (N.C.), opposed Lynch, whose nomination was held up more than 160 days because of an unrelated dispute over abortion restrictions in a bill to curb human trafficking.

Republicans are largely on defense this cycle, defending 24 seats to Democrats’ 10, coming off a year in which they won control of the Senate. But that majority is already in danger next year, with many of those members up for election in swing states which trend Democratic in presidential years.

All four of the Republicans who voted to confirm Lynch are from those states. The vote gives them an opportunity to tout their bipartisanship and reach out to African-American voters.

Conversely, Democrats likely will use the "no" votes from Toomey and Burr against them.

Ayotte, who was New Hampshire’s first female state attorney general, called Lynch a “clearly qualified nominee” and “a well-respected U.S. attorney with a proven record and significant experience handling difficult cases.”

Portman slammed outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder, a favorite target of Republicans, and went on to call Lynch someone whose “long career as a federal prosecutor would bring a different, and less politicized, perspective to the job.”

Toomey defended his vote against confirming Lynch, saying he did not believe she could "carry out the duty of attorney general to uphold the Constitution."

This post was updated at 3:36 p.m.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:44:45 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Vulnerable Republicans vote for Lynch
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:59:03 pm »
Oh, great. It's nice to know when your senator is weighing the pros and cons of a vote, at the top of his list is the question, "how will this vote affect my reelection?"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:50:53 pm by aligncare »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:10:34 pm »
Oh, great. It's nice to know when your senator is weighing the pros and cons of making a vote, at the top of his list is the question, "how will this vote affect my reelection? "

Sadly that is indeed the current state of affairs!

Meanwhile Bill and Hill are STILL selling the United States down the river with impunity!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:26:34 am »
Hillary's days as a candidate are numbered. Democrats are scrambling to find someone to knock her off. But bad things seem to happen to people who get in the way of the Clintons – so it's tough finding anyone willing to take the risk. Probably why Elizabeth Warren has stayed out so far.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:57:35 am »
Oh, great. It's nice to know when your senator is weighing the pros and cons of a vote, at the top of his list is the question, "how will this vote affect my reelection?"
A representative's job to reflect the will of their constituents.  Keeping voters happy is a requirement of re-election.  I think conservatives prefer a candidate who ignores the wishes of the people who he represents.  They desire a strong willed tyrant who will do what is necessary for the Peoples own good.

My Senator Ron Johnson is in big trouble in WI.  He is way too Conservative for this state.  He could be a one termer and that would be a shame.  My other Senator is a decent fellow (Senator Tammy Baldwin), but he does a crappy job representing me.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 04:56:04 pm »
Hillary's days as a candidate are numbered. Democrats are scrambling to find someone to knock her off. But bad things seem to happen to people who get in the way of the Clintons – so it's tough finding anyone willing to take the risk. Probably why Elizabeth Warren has stayed out so far.

Don't be surprise if the NYC mayor, DeBlasio enters the race against Hillary. He is trying to get the money support needed. Other than being a LIB his main problem is the NYPD turned there back on him and it went National. Most voters both DEM and LIB respect the NYPD and all POLICE Depts even if some do not admit it. Just saying?????