Author Topic: Senate votes 56-43 to confirm Lynch as attorney general  (Read 2609 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate votes 56-43 to confirm Lynch as attorney general
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:22:30 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/239878-senate-votes-to-confirm-lynch-as-attorney-general

April 23, 2015, 02:04 pm
Senate votes 56-43 to confirm Lynch as attorney general

By Jordain Carney

The Senate confirmed Loretta Lynch's long-delayed nomination Thursday, giving the country its first female African American attorney general.

Senators voted 56-43 to confirm Lynch, more than 160 days after she was nominated by President Obama.

Ten Republican senators broke rank and sided with Democrats to get Lynch over the 50-vote threshold.

Republican Sens. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.), Orrin Hatch (Utah), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Susan Collins (Maine), Jeff Flake (Ariz.), Mark Kirk (Ill.), Rob Portman (Ohio) Thad Cochran (Miss.), Ron Johnson (Wis.) and Mitch McConnell (Ky.) voted for Lynch.

Ayotte, Kirk, Portman and Johnson are up for reelection in 2016.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), a Republican presidential candidate, didn't vote.

Lynch’s vote was one of the closest recent votes for the nation’s top law enforcement post, and the first time senators have included a cloture vote on an attorney general nominee.

Senators were first expected to vote on Lynch’s nomination in mid-March, but it was thrown into limbo as senators got bogged down in a fight over abortion restrictions in an unrelated bill to curb human trafficking.

Senators passed that legislation Wednesday, paving the way for Lynch’s nomination to come up for a vote.

Lynch’s confirmation vote places her squarely in the middle of President Obama’s ongoing immigration battle. Conservative Republicans remained vehemently opposed to her nomination because of that, as well as her broader ties to Obama.

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said ahead of the votes that while “no one disputes that she has an impressive legal background,” he added that the “ question for me from the start has been whether Ms. Lynch will make a clean break from his policies and take the department in a new direction.”

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) added that senators should confirm someone who has “publicly committed to denigrating Congress [and] violating the laws of Congress.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has repeatedly said that he believes Lynch deserves a vote, and voted to move forward with her nomination earlier Thursday.

Cruz slammed McConnell and Senate leaders for allowing for a vote.

“The Republican majority, if it so chose, could defeat this nomination,” the Texas Republican and a 2016 presidential candidate, said. “I would note there are a few voters back home that are asking what exactly is the difference between a Democratic and Republican majority.”

He added that he has asked leadership to block all of Obama’s executive and judicial nominees “unless and until the president rescinds his lawless amnesty.”

But Democrats and a growing number of outside groups heavily criticized McConnell’s tactics on Lynch, who he would not allow to come up for a vote until after the trafficking legislation.

A group of supporters launched a hunger strike earlier this month to try to add pressure to bring up Lynch’s nomination and The Washington Post slammed McConnell in an editorial.

Democrats praised Lynch's confirmation ahead of the vote.

“This is a great historic moment,” Sen. Pat Leahy (D-Vt.) said. “I only hope that senate Republicans will only show her more respect as attorney general as the United States than she has received as nominee.”

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), likely the next Democratic leader, said that “there is one cloud on this sunny day and that is the long time it took to confirm her.”

The debate over the Lynch’s nomination has grown unusually heated, with Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said Republicans were making her “sit in the back of the bus.”

Republicans quickly criticized the Illinois Democrat’s remarks, and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) took to the Senate floor demanding an apology.

In addition to immigration, Lynch will likely have to weigh in on a wide array of issues including national security.

“The Department of Justice will continue to play a prominent role in dealing with high-profile issues, including national security, police-community relations and financial fraud,” said Hunton & Williams partner Timothy Heaphy. “Loretta Lynch will be at the forefront.”

Heaphy, a former U.S. Attorney worked with Lynch during his two-year term on the Attorney General's Advisory Committee.

It’s unclear when Lynch will step into the attorney general position and replace outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder.

--This report was updated at 2:15 p.m.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Senate votes 56-43 to confirm Lynch as attorney general
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 06:22:52 pm »
Eric Holder in a dress..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 06:29:00 pm »
Eric Holder in a dress..

Hopefully no worse......

Though I have my doubts.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:31:46 pm »
Eric Holder in a dress..

True. With Obama, everyone has to be Black or Muslim. Obama says, "I don't trust me no Whitey!"

The only mitigating aspect of this is that since Holder already has the tarnished crown of worst attorney general in the history of the United States, it is hard to believe that it could be any worse. The DOJ will certainly not get any better, but it is hard to imagine how it could be worse.

But, then again, who knows. Maybe she will find a way. Nothing surprises me with Obama and his henchmen.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 06:32:46 pm »
She will be worse.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:39:28 pm »
Why do they continue to give them everything they want? 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:51:48 pm »
Why do they continue to give them everything they want?

Because far too many of the "republicans" we now have want exactly the same things!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 06:55:10 pm »
Because far too many of the "republicans" we now have want exactly the same things!
They hate tea party types worse than anything. Just hard to watch.  **nononono* I do see McCain didn't vote for her...ah he is running for re-election isn't he? Cruz didn't vote at all.  That might hurt him.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 07:03:08 pm »
They hate tea party types worse than anything. Just hard to watch.  **nononono* I do see McCain didn't vote for her...ah he is running for re-election isn't he? Cruz didn't vote at all.  That might hurt him.

Not with the true believers who support him.  But it is a bit hypocritical of him to raise hell about Lynch from the Senate floor on Thursday morning, then skip out on the actual vote.

He's an ideologue who's just as much of a narcissist as Obama.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:22:47 pm »
Not with the true believers who support him.  But it is a bit hypocritical of him to raise hell about Lynch from the Senate floor on Thursday morning, then skip out on the actual vote.

I am on that page, too. Debates and speeches are not accomplishments.

No military service, yet nation went to war when he was of age for service. No history of humble part time work to fund schooling. Goldman Sachs wife.

He views himself as being in an elite political class, and he feels entitled to lecture those lower down the ladder.

I don't join cults of political personalities. If he was/is such a big patriot, why didn't he join up on 9/12/2001??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 07:26:03 pm »

I like Cruz, this one is a bit interesting to say the least. No way he didn't know the vote was going on.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »

Thirded. If it's important enough to raise a fuss about, it's important enough to skip a days campaigning to actually put his vote where his mouth is.

Who were the 10 Repubs that voted for? I only saw 5 saying they would yesterday.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 08:01:59 pm »
I like Cruz, this one is a bit interesting to say the least. No way he didn't know the vote was going on.

I'm with you, flowers.  This is a curious decision, and I agree that it will cause trouble down the road, if not immediately.

I think he's a good man with good ideas, but a bad decision like this will hurt him.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline flowers

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 08:08:28 pm »
Thirded. If it's important enough to raise a fuss about, it's important enough to skip a days campaigning to actually put his vote where his mouth is.

Who were the 10 Repubs that voted for? I only saw 5 saying they would yesterday.
ens. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.),

Thad Cochran (Miss.),

Susan Collins (Maine),

Jeff Flake (Ariz.),

Lindsey Graham (S.C.),

Orrin Hatch (Utah),

Ron Johnson (Wis.),

Mark Kirk (Ill.),

Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 08:26:39 pm »
ens. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.),

Thad Cochran (Miss.),

Susan Collins (Maine),

Jeff Flake (Ariz.),

Lindsey Graham (S.C.),

Orrin Hatch (Utah),

Ron Johnson (Wis.),

Mark Kirk (Ill.),

Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Arrgghhhhh!  PORTMAN!

Turncoat.  **nononono*

Offline evadR

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:34 pm »
Cruz didn't vote.

WHY???
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 03:09:46 pm »
Cruz didn't vote.

WHY???
Last i heard he had to catch a plane for a  political event in Texas.