Author Topic: New York judge to consider claims that chimpanzees are 'legal persons'  (Read 743 times)

Offline flowers

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/mad-mad-world/New-York-judge-to-consider-claims-that-chimpanzees-are-legal-persons/articleshow/47004649.cms

NEW YORK: An animal rights group has been granted a court hearing in which it will argue that two chimpanzees who live at a New York state university cannot be held captive because they are autonomous, intelligent creatures.

New York State Supreme Court Justice Barbara Jaffe in Manhattan issued an order late Monday, called a writ of habeas corpus, requiring the State University of New York at Stony Brook on Long Island to defend its right in court to keep the primates, Hercules and Leo. A writ of habeas corpus requires a person to be released from unlawful imprisonment.

READ ALSO: Chimps don't have same rights as humans, US court says

In what it said was the first case of its kind in the world, the Nonhuman Rights Project claims that because chimpanzees are autonomous, intelligent creatures, their captivity amounts to

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
New York judge to consider claims that chimpanzees are 'legal persons'

Well I don't know why not - some of them even win elections.

:whistle:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline raml

Once women got the vote and went to college and became judges and held other high positions in our country and turned into hard core feminists the United States went to hell. The female judge is an idiot for not throwing this stupid claim out of court. The Feminists of this country really had a very big part in ruining all that was good and now we have people elected to office for all the wrong reasons like being able to read off a teleprompter well or their color or looks. We have few women that want to be moms or who actually raise their own children instead of pawning them off on babysitters or relatives.  Once again I blame the women more than I do the men since most of the men are now allowing themselves to led around by these same bitches because their balls have been chopped off by these women. Who ever thought someone as idiotic and dumb as Nancy Pelosi would be speaker of the house or Barbara Boxer or Diane Feinstien senators. I really can't say I like many female politicians any more than I like most male politicians but nowadays the woman I read about in politics who have a say in how this country is run haven't an ounce of sense between the lot of them. I give up on seeing this country ever a great place to live now there really is no where to go to have freedom and sanity as part of your life.

Offline flowers

N.Y. Judge Grants Legal Rights To 2 Research Chimps

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/04/21/401219719/n-y-judge-grants-legal-rights-to-2-research-chimps

A New York judge has granted two research chimps the writ of habeas corpus — a move that allows them to challenge their detention.

The decision, says Science magazine, effectively recognizes chimps as legal persons, marking the first time in U.S. history that an animal has been given that right.

The order, dated April 20, requires Stony Brook University to appear in court and provide a legally sufficient reason for keeping the two chimps, Hercules and Leo. A hearing is scheduled for May 6.

The Nonhuman Rights Project (NhRP), the group that filed the case on behalf of the chimps, said in a statement it believed that Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Barbara Jaffe's order "implicitly determined that Hercules and Leo are 'persons.' "

But Richard Cupp, a law professor at Pepperdine University who opposes personhood for animals, told Science, "It would be quite surprising if the judge

Offline Right_in_Virginia

New York judge to consider claims that chimpanzees are 'legal persons'

:facepalm2:

Oceander

New York is clearly going head to head with California for the National Nutjob Award.

Offline PzLdr

Considering our elected officials, the Chimps may have an arguable claim.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee