Author Topic: More marathon survivors ask that Boston bomber be SPARED execution: Married couple who lost a leg each in the blast say 'we must overcome impulse for vengeance'  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Luis wrote above:
[[ About #2. They say that if he agreed to life in prison foregoing any rights to appeal the sentence, then the death sentence could be taken off the table. ]]

That's really not a bad idea in some instances*, BUT -- I don't think there is any state law in any state that permits such a "surrender of rights" by the convicted, nor do I think such a provision in the law would withstand a court appeal on the state or federal level.

* Although even if a provision in the law DID exist, I would not want to see it applied in this case. In this case, "death IS the answer" -- and a most appropriate punishment.

As it was for McVeigh, so should it be for Tasernaev.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Luis wrote above:
[[ About #2. They say that if he agreed to life in prison foregoing any rights to appeal the sentence, then the death sentence could be taken off the table. ]]

That's really not a bad idea in some instances*, BUT -- I don't think there is any state law in any state that permits such a "surrender of rights" by the convicted, nor do I think such a provision in the law would withstand a court appeal on the state or federal level.

* Although even if a provision in the law DID exist, I would not want to see it applied in this case. In this case, "death IS the answer" -- and a most appropriate punishment.

As it was for McVeigh, so should it be for Tasernaev.

There's a vast sea of difference between McVeigh and Tsarnaev.

To Tsarnaev, death is a reward.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:08:25 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline raml

They were both terrorists that is all I need to know the death penalty is the right answer for any terrorist. This coddling of murderers makes me sick.