Author Topic: An East TN veteran who was forced to take down her flagpole by her HOA found a loophole and is proudly displaying her stars and stripes.  (Read 481 times)

rangerrebew

An East TN veteran who was forced to take down her flagpole by her HOA found a loophole and is proudly displaying her stars and stripes.

Leslie Ackerson, WBIR 10:16 p.m. EDT April 18, 2015

An East Tennessee veteran who was forced by her homeowners association to take down her flag is once again flying the stars and stripes.

"It felt like there was an empty place," said Delia Foster, "Not only in my yard, but in my heart."

Nine weeks ago, Foster took down the American flag and pole in her yard.

RELATED:Community supports veteran forced to take down flag pole

"It just seemed empty," said Foster, "Like I was going to pass by my house accidentally because I was so used to seeing it there lit up."

Her neighborhood home owner's associated asked her to take it down because of a rule that says structures require permission, including flagpoles.

It was a tough goodbye, but the 24-year Air Force veteran wasn't defeated. Saturday, the flag and pole were back in place.

"I am also a person who fight for what I think is right, I will do research, get to the bottom of things," said Foster

Foster found out the HOA follows county codes, and through confirmation at the Mayor's office she discovered the county does not define the flagpole as a structure. Further investigation of her HOA's current covenant, and she learned they never voted to specifically ban flagpoles. The discoveries meant the return of her flag.

"It's the icon and the beacon for everyone in the military," said Foster.

Foster's Brother and the Loudon County veterans honor guard properly reinstated the flag in a small ceremony.

"Veterans are a big group, and it's my experience that they, we, do support each other in times like this," said Foster, "It's really a family."

Delia Foster sent a letter to the home owner's association board explaining her actions and what she had found. If the HOA is still dissatisfied with her decision, they would have to rewrite their covenant to specifically ban flagpoles, which would require a vote from a neighborhood majority.

"It really makes me feel great to be able to walk under that flying flag again," said Foster.

Foster also will set up a light to shine on the flagpole at night. When you fly a flag 24/7 it is proper to have it illuminated during darkness.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2015/04/18/veteran-reinstates-flagpole-in-front-yard/26005127/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:50:22 pm by rangerrebew »