Author Topic: More marathon survivors ask that Boston bomber be SPARED execution: Married couple who lost a leg each in the blast say 'we must overcome impulse for vengeance'  (Read 2777 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3046991/More-marathon-survivors-ask-bomber-not-face-execution.html

Jessica Kensky and Patrick Downes call their view 'emotional and practical'
    Their words come after similar statement from family of eight-year-old Martin Richards, who was killed in the blast, and his sister Jane who lost a leg
    Jury will decide on Tuesday whether Dzhokar Tsarnaev gets death penalty
    Two weeks ago he was found guilty on all 30 counts relating to the bombing

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why don't they just let the guy loose..I am sure he has learned his lesson.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Charlespg

Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline evadR

What's wrong with vengeance?
It's a very strong emotion and can be a great motivator.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Why don't they just let the guy loose..I am sure he has learned his lesson.

That's no a joke. There are tons of Liberals who would agree with that 100%.

But a larger point is that this trial is not strictly and only for the victims. The bombing affected us all, and we are all involved in the outcome. It does not matter what the victims think any more than the rest of us.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
The family of the eight year old killed gave a compelling reason why they wished th State to forego the death sentence.

"We know that the government has its reasons for seeking the death penalty, but the continued pursuit of that punishment could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives," the Richards wrote. "We hope our two remaining children do not have to grow up with the lingering, painful reminder of what the defendant took from them, which years of appeals would undoubtedly bring."

"The minute the defendant fades from our newspapers and TV screens is the minute we begin the process of rebuilding our lives and our family," they added.

The Richards said they want the death penalty off the table in exchange for Tsarnaev taking life in prison and waiving all his rights of appeal.

I can understand what they're saying.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
8detect8

Getting real tired of these kind of idiots
and this pussyfied crap

what about the rest of us ,who want justice

So, your need for "justice" should somehow supersede the victim's family's needs here?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline evadR

So, your need for "justice" should somehow supersede the victim's family's needs here?
yes, absolutely.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline aligncare

He's already cost taxpayers millions on his defense. The death sentence will only bring down an avalanche of court costs and legal fees for multiple appeals, again shouldered by taxpayers.

Life w/o possibility of parole is pretty heavy cake so I'm siding with the victims' families. Besides, death would be too quick an end for him.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
He's already cost taxpayers millions on his defense. The death sentence will only bring down an avalanche of court costs and legal fees for multiple appeals, again shouldered by taxpayers.

Life w/o possibility of parole is pretty heavy cake so I'm siding with the victims' families. Besides, death would be too quick an end for him.

Ahhh, Grasshopper!

Soon as you can grab this pebble from my hand...... :laugh:         :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Charlespg

Their opinion  hasn't got a damn thing  to do with the families  needs.

Its about emotion and "feelings"
To hell with with their "needs".Mamby Pamby crap like this is why we cant win the war against Islamic savagery 

Execute him ,then sew the body up in pigskin and bury him in a unmarked grave somewhere ,face down,feet toward Mecca

Offline flowers

To hell with with their "needs".Mamby Pamby crap like this is why we cant win the war against Islamic savagery 

Bingo!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Execute him ,then sew the body up in pigskin and bury him in a unmarked grave somewhere ,face down,feet toward Mecca

I'm sorry.

I didn't realize we were playing some kind of meaningless rhetorical fantasy game.

The truth of the matter is that the execution (if it in fact gets carried out), is years away, and that it may only happen after years of appeals, and it's going to happen according to established law, so no pigskin and unmarked grave.

I'd re-examine who is all about emotion and feelings here. 

Seeking the death penalty will in fact condemn the victim's family to probably at least a decade of trials and reliving the attack, and in the end, his execution (if it ever does happen) will be largely meaningless to the rest of us. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

While I'd not put it quite like that - agreed.

It is nothing to do with the families needs, and has not been since the bomb went off. As a society, certain actions receive certain punishments, and the only exception permitted is if the perpetrator is completely incapable of understanding that due to severe mental incapacity. It's what makes society tick. The thing already runs badly enough, without deliberately throwing sand in the gears.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Charlespg

It is nothing to do with the families needs, and has not been since the bomb went off. As a society, certain actions receive certain punishments, and the only exception permitted is if the perpetrator is completely incapable of understanding that due to severe mental incapacity. It's what makes society tick. The thing already runs badly enough, without deliberately throwing sand in the gears.
Thats my point, Peddlers  of political correctness and Kumbaya nonsense should have no say in this matter

This was a crime against civilization .The rest of us have a right to  demand justice and right to a reasonably safe society    Having a law abiding civilization  demands  that certain crimes get the death penalty , to say other wise says that the lives of the victims have no value

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'm sorry.

I didn't realize we were playing some kind of meaningless rhetorical fantasy game.

The truth of the matter is that the execution (if it in fact gets carried out), is years away, and that it may only happen after years of appeals, and it's going to happen according to established law, so no pigskin and unmarked grave.

I'd re-examine who is all about emotion and feelings here. 

Seeking the death penalty will in fact condemn the victim's family to probably at least a decade of trials and reliving the attack, and in the end, his execution (if it ever does happen) will be largely meaningless to the rest of us. 
Two points: 1) They executed Timothy McVeigh within six years of the Oklahoma City bombing; a death sentence doesn't automatically mean decades of appeals. 2) A life sentence is no guarantee that Tsarnaev won't appeal for his freedom.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

Agree, Charles. The crime was committed against the people of the US and the individual victims.  Execution would be justice, not just vengeance,
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Two points: 1) They executed Timothy McVeigh within six years of the Oklahoma City bombing; a death sentence doesn't automatically mean decades of appeals. 2) A life sentence is no guarantee that Tsarnaev won't appeal for his freedom.

It's still six years of going to courtrooms and seeing your kid in pieces on monitors, and reliving the pain of the day. I guess you wouldn't have to be there, but I understand that most victim's families attend all appeals.

I'm just saying that I understand their position, and given the fact that it was them who suffered the loss of a child in such a violent and senseless way, to just say " to Hell with them" and their feelings is calloused.

About #2. They say that if he agreed to life in prison foregoing any rights to appeal the sentence, then the death sentence could be taken off the table.

Offline musiclady

Thats my point, Peddlers  of political correctness and Kumbaya nonsense should have no say in this matter

This was a crime against civilization .The rest of us have a right to  demand justice and right to a reasonably safe society    Having a law abiding civilization  demands  that certain crimes get the death penalty , to say other wise says that the lives of the victims have no value

Completely agree.  This is a much greater offense than just the physical harming of individuals.

While I sympathize with those wanting to hear their voices, this is a crime against the US, and not just the families.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Save your breaths.

Obama used/freed Bergdahl.  (not necessarily in THAT order)

Rubbed it right in our faces.

Guaran-freekin'-tee you that he will commute the death sentence and pardon Dzhokar Tsarnaev.

.....for National Goodwill.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Agree, Charles. The crime was committed against the people of the US and the individual victims.  Execution would be justice, not just vengeance,

That jury may (or may not) come back with the death sentence. If they do, he will begin a string of appeals, and one of the possible outcomes of any appeal is a reduction in the sentence to life. The reduction nah be appeal able as well.

If the government strikes a deal right now and takes the death sentence off the table in trade for life with no possibility for appeals and parole, this is done now.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

We're conservatives.

We believe that individuals, not the collective, have rights, don't we?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Save your breaths.

Obama used/freed Bergdahl.  (not necessarily in THAT order)

Rubbed it right in our faces.

Guaran-freekin'-tee you that he will commute the death sentence and pardon Dzhokar Tsarnaev.

.....for National Goodwill.   :whistle:

I've thought about that.

This SOB will issue a pardon for both Bergdahl and Tsarnaev on his way out of the WH in 2017.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Luis asked above:
[[ So, your need for "justice" should somehow supersede the victim's family's needs here? ]]

YES.

ABSOLUTELY.

Next question?

Addendum:
Charlespg explained why quite succinctly in post #10 up above.

And I completely agree with his assessment on what to do with the remains!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:20:58 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Luis wrote above:
[[ Seeking the death penalty will in fact condemn the victim's family to probably at least a decade of trials and reliving the attack, and in the end, his execution (if it ever does happen) will be largely meaningless to the rest of us.  ]]

Speak for yourself, Luis.

That such an execution will come across as "meaningless" (at least to YOU) suggests you have little comprehension about the gravity of the struggle in which The West is now engaged, nor much of an idea as to what must be done to win it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:34:37 am by Fishrrman »