Author Topic: Rubio: Piecemeal immigration approach only option  (Read 497 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio: Piecemeal immigration approach only option
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:39:52 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/239350-rubio-piecemeal-immigration-approach-only-option

April 19, 2015, 02:13 pm
Rubio: Piecemeal immigration approach only option

By Jesse Byrnes

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said in an interview broadcast Sunday that a step-by-step, long-term approach is the only option for immigration reform.

"We can't do it in a massive piece of legislation," Rubio, who announced his presidential candidacy last week, said in a wide-ranging interview for CBS's "Face the Nation."

"I know, 'cause I tried," Rubio added.

Rubio outlined in the CBS interview the steps he would take for reform, stressing it would start with an E-Verify bill to track entrance and exit of migrants to improve border security, followed by modernizing the legal immigration system to make it "less family based" and "more merit-based."

After a decade, the Cuban-American senator said, he would require immigrants pass a background check, learn English, pay taxes and pay a fine, as well as get a work permit.

"And after a substantial period of time in that status – assuming they haven't violated any of the conditions of that status – they would be allowed to apply for legal residency. Just like anybody else would," he said.

Finally, after legal residency had been maintained for "a number of years," immigrants could apply for citizenship, Rubio said.

"It's a long process. It's a reasonable process. It's a fair process. But it has to happen in that order, and it begins with serious enforcement measures," he added.

Rubio, who caught flak from conservatives for supporting a comprehensive immigration reform bill in 2013, has since advocated a piecemeal approach for the upwards of 12 million immigrants who currently reside in the United States illegally.

Other prospective Republican presidential candidates such as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Rubio's mentor, and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry have caught attention for supporting in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, while Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker recently changed his position, saying he didn't support "amnesty."

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) ripped Rubio on another Sunday morning program for backing off the overhaul when presented with his campaign announcement presenting himself as a new type of leader.

"He took a principled, courageous stand on immigration reform and we passed a comprehensive bill in the Senate, and then the minute his party's base started chewing on him about it – the minute Rush Limbaugh criticized him – he folded like a cheap shotgun," McCaskill said on ABC's "This Week."

"That's old politics. That's not what we need right now. That is the stalest trick in the book. That is shirking on your principles because of the political necessities of your party," McCaskill said.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:40:18 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Rubio: Piecemeal immigration approach only option
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:02:47 pm »
"He took a principled, courageous stand on immigration reform and we passed a comprehensive bill in the Senate, and then the minute his party's base started chewing on him about it – the minute Rush Limbaugh criticized him – he folded like a cheap shotgun," McCaskill said on ABC's "This Week."

I think that sums things up quite nicely about Rubio.  He folded like a cheap shotgun.  Certainly we need a strong president and we definitely are in need of leadership.  Not someone who will hide behind his tail when criticized.  Jeb is his mentor; neither will make a good president, neither will provide strong leadership. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.