Author Topic: Democrat Lincoln Chafee Tells CNN He's Running For President  (Read 739 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=638912

Newsmax
Democrat Lincoln Chafee Tells CNN He's Running For President
Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:25 AM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee told CNN Thursday that he'll be seeking the Democratic nomination for the White House, making his intentions official just one week after announcing he had formed an exploratory committee.

"Yes, that's why I'm running, because I feel strong about where we're going as a country," the Republican-turned-independent-turned Democrat told CNN's John Berman on the network's "New Day" show Thursday.

Chafee made his comments after Berman asked him why he has continued to be critical of Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, including criticizing her for her vote while she was a New York senator for the war in Iraq.

"That was a moment where the premise for going to Iraq was so false, that there were weapons of mass destruction, she didn't do her homework. We live with the ramifications," Chafee told CNN's "State of the Union" program on Sunday. "You may say that's 12 years ago — that's a big motivator for me running. If you show a lack of judgment, lack of doing homework then what can we expect in the future?"

He also criticized Clinton's term as secretary of state on Sunday's program, saying her service was "kind of a muscular, top-down, unilateral, too close to neo-cons, too Bush-like" that ended with "precious few" accomplishments.

But he does want to court supporters of Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a liberal favorite who has said she isn't going to run for president.

"There's no doubt that Sen. Warren's absolutely right about what's happening to the middle class," Chafee said. "She's just been a prophet about this for a number of years."

Chafee has said that Clinton's vote for the Iraq War should disqualify her from receiving the Democratic nomination.

"One of the motivators for me to run is, I just don't think the United States president should have voted for that huge mistake," Chafee told the National Journal. "And I definitely don't think the Democratic Party nominee should have made that huge mistake."

Chafee, while serving as a Republican senator, was one of 23 senators who voted against the Iraq War and the only member of his party to do so.

On Thursday, Chafee admitted that there's "no doubt I'm the underdog." He has not held public office since his term ended last year, and has not been included in most polling involving the Democratic Party.

Democrat Sheldon Whitehouse defeated Chafee for the Senate seat in 2006, and then Chafee became Rhode Island's governor as an independent in 2010. He later switched again to become a Democrat, choosing not to seek re-election in 2014.

He told CNN Sunday he switched parties because the "Republican Party changed and I never changed. As I became an independent my values never changed whether it's on fiscal responsibility, environment or using government tools to help the less fortunate."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Democrat Lincoln Chafee Tells CNN He's Running For President
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 02:55:44 pm »
Lincoln Chafee: Proof that evolution CAN go in reverse.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:08:58 pm »
Good grief one of those; Republican turned Independent turned Democrat.  We had one in Florida and unbelievably lost by a very narrow margin.  LIV baffle me.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 03:09:34 pm »
I want to see a crowded Democrat field for a change!  If she gets too many challengers, we'll have a good chance of seeing a Hillary meltdown in a grand way! 

:2popcorn:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 03:40:24 pm »
I want to see a crowded Democrat field for a change!  If she gets too many challengers, we'll have a good chance of seeing a Hillary meltdown in a grand way! 

:2popcorn:
Yep....hoping Warren runs. She may be worse, not by much than hil, but it would deny hil her throne.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:10:38 pm »
Yep....hoping Warren runs. She may be worse, not by much than hil, but it would deny hil her throne.

I strongly disagree.  The very last thing we need is Warren running. Warren has a real shot. I think she can beat Hillary and she is a "new" female Democrat and she is about as progressive as you can get.  She would represent something fresh and new which the Democrats are in dire need of right now. Hillary doesn't stand a chance against any of the GOP candidates; except JEB.    You think things are bad under Obama?  Things will be even worse under Warren.  If she makes it to the oval office she will continue the Obama agenda and the transformation that he has set into motion.  I'm really hoping she doesn't run.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:12:02 pm »
I strongly disagree.  The very last thing we need is Warren running. Warren has a real shot. I think she can beat Hillary and she is a "new" female Democrat and she is about as progressive as you can get.  She would represent something fresh and new which the Democrats are in dire need of right now. Hillary doesn't stand a chance against any of the GOP candidates; except JEB.    You think things are bad under Obama?  Things will be even worse under Warren.  If she makes it to the oval office she will continue the Obama agenda and the transformation that he has set into motion.  I'm really hoping she doesn't run.
very good point