Author Topic: Jodi Arias to learn of her fate at sentencing hearing..[update: LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE]  (Read 1183 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Jodi-Arias-to-learn-of-her-fate-at-sentencing-6195567.php

PHOENIX (AP) — The long-running legal saga of convicted murderer Jodi Arias draws to a close Monday as a judge formally imposes a life sentence in the 2008 shooting and stabbing death of her on-again-off-again boyfriend.

The sentencing is largely a formality after a jury deadlocked last month on whether to give her the death penalty or life in prison. The mistrial removed the death penalty as an option, and the only remaining decision is whether the judge will allow the 34-year-old Arias to be eligible for release after 25 years or serve the rest of her life behind bars.

It's not known if Arias will speak to Judge Sherry Stephens before she hands down the sentence. Family members of victim Travis Alexander can also address the court.

Arias killed her ex-boyfriend in 2008 after a stormy relationship. Prosecutors say she murdered him in a jealous rage because he wanted to break off the relationship.

Arias shot Alexander and stabbed him nearly 30 times in his suburban Phoenix home before fleeing and driving to Utah to meet up with another romantic interest. She was arrested weeks later and initially denied any involvement.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:30:42 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Jodi Arias to learn of her fate at sentencing hearing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:13:49 pm »
I'm a big supporter of life in prison without chance for parole, performing hard labor, and dining on bread and water.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:27:27 pm »
I'm a big supporter of life in prison without chance for parole, performing hard labor, and dining on bread and water.

She can't get the death penalty,,the jury has already decided....I am a big supporter of the death penalty especially after someone literally butchers another person like she did to Travis.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 04:36:06 pm »
She can't get the death penalty,,the jury has already decided....I am a big supporter of the death penalty especially after someone literally butchers another person like she did to Travis.
It was horrible she didn't get it after what she did to him.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:44:24 pm »
Sisters of Jodi Arias' victim make agonizing statements as she awaits her fate at sentencing hearing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3036542/Jodi-Arias-learn-fate-sentencing-hearing.html

The devastated sisters of Jodi Arias' murder victim Travis Alexander made agonizing statements at the sentencing phase of the killer's long-running trial on Monday.

Arias sat and listened as Travis' sister, Samantha Alexander, told the Phoenix court: 'He was there for five days, decomposing in the shower. I'm sure his soul was screaming for someone to find him.'

The long-running legal saga of convicted murderer Arias drew to a close on Monday in Arizona as a judge formally imposed a life sentence in the 2008 shooting and stabbing death of her on-again-off-again boyfriend.

The sentencing is largely a formality after a jury deadlocked last month on whether to give her the death penalty or life in prison.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:29:54 pm »
JODI ARIAS SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE FOR 2008 MURDER OF EX-BOYFRIEND

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/13/jodi-arias-to-be-sentenced-in-murder-lover-bringing-end-to-lengthy-case/

Arias gets life in prison with no chance of parole for murder of ex-boyfriend
Published April 13, 2015FoxNews.com

DEVELOPING:

Jodi Arias gets life in prison with no chance of parole for the 2008 murder of ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander.

Earlier version of the story below:

The long-running legal saga of convicted murderer Jodi Arias will come to a close Monday as a judge formally imposes a life sentence in the 2008 shooting and stabbing death of her on-again-off-again boyfriend Travis Alexander.

The sentencing is largely a formality after a jury deadlocked last month on whether to give her the death penalty or life in prison. The mistrial removed the death penalty as an option, and the only remaining decision is whether the judge will allow the 34-year-old Arias to be eligible for release after 25 years or serve the rest of her life behind bars.

Arias appeared in court in Phoenix Monday, wearing stripes, with only her mom on her side. On the other side of the courtroom were Alexander’s siblings.

The eleven jurors in the jury box were wearing blue, the support color of the Alexander family.

Arias spoke to Judge Sherry Stephens, saying that death would give her "peace and freedom."

"If I died today I would be free and I would be at peace," she said.

Arias said she believes she should be held accountable for actions

"I do remember the moment when the knife went into Travis's throat and he was conscious," she said.

Arias said she wishes, "there was some way to take it back."

Arias told Stephens she's "disgusted" and "repulsed" with herself.

In court statements, Alexander's aunt, Heather Schafer, pleaded with the judge to give Arias the maximum sentence so she will not be able to destroy other families.

Alexander's younger sister, Hilary Wilcox, told the judge that Travis will never get to meet her children.

"I hate it that she has taken my past with my brother and my future with him," Wilcox said.

Arias sat with her head down while the statements were being made.

Arias killed her ex-boyfriend in 2008 after a stormy relationship. Prosecutors say she murdered him in a jealous rage because he wanted to break off the relationship.

Arias shot Alexander and stabbed him nearly 30 times in his suburban Phoenix home before fleeing and driving to Utah to meet up with another romantic interest. She was arrested weeks later and initially denied any involvement.

International media attention soon followed after she did two television interviews in which she told a bizarre story of masked intruders breaking into the home and killing Alexander while she cowered in fear. She subsequently changed her story and said it was self-defense after Alexander attacked her on the day he died.

Her 2013 trial became a media circus as details of their kinky relationship and the violent crime scene emerged in court and were broadcast live. Spectators traveled to Phoenix and lined up in the middle of the night to get a seat in the courtroom to catch a glimpse of what had become to many a real-life soap opera.

Interest in the case intensified after Arias did a jailhouse interview minutes after she was convicted of murder, telling a local TV reporter that she preferred the death penalty over life in prison.

"I would much rather die sooner than later. Longevity runs in my family, and I don't want to spend the rest of my natural life in one place," she said.

The original jury was deadlocked on whether to sentence her to death, setting up another penalty phase trial that began last year. After months of testimony and efforts by Arias' lawyers to portray Alexander as a sexual deviant who physically and emotionally abused her, the second jury also failed to reach a unanimous decision -- this time 11-1 in favor of death.

The 11 jurors who wanted the death penalty said the holdout juror had an agenda and was sympathetic to Arias.

Fox News’ Jennifer Girdon and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Life in prison should be very, very uncomfortable. I do NOT see hard labor as being "cruel and unusual," for instance.

Daily hard labor is normal, across most of the globe.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

Jodi Arias sentenced to life with no chance of parole as the sisters of her brutally murdered ex shout 'burn in hell' after sobbing through their impact statements

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3036542/Jodi-Arias-learn-fate-sentencing-hearing.html

Judge Sherry Stephens handed down the sentence in Phoenix, Arizona as victim Travis Alexander's family wept in the courtroom
The judge said that Arias, 34, deserved no leniency for the shooting and stabbing death of her on-again-off-again boyfriend almost seven years ago
She stabbed Alexander nearly 30 times, inflicting a knife wound so deep in his neck that she almost decapitated him in June 2008
Arias also shot the victim in the face and left his body in the shower at his Mesa, Arizona home to be found five days later
Prior to the verdict, Arias pleaded with the judge to show her mercy after claiming the Alexander family had lied about her

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Obviously has some anger issues....reading the number and location of stab wounds.    :laugh:

Look for Obama to pardon her. :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

Obviously has some anger issues....reading the number and location of stab wounds.    :laugh:

Look for Obama to pardon her. :whistle:

Nah! [1] She's not black.
        [2] He wasn't a cop
        [3] No drug sale
        [4] He already has two daughters, and they don't look like her.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline flowers

Nah! [1] She's not black.
        [2] He wasn't a cop
        [3] No drug sale
        [4] He already has two daughters, and they don't look like her.
:laugh:  yet Hillary may do so.

Offline raml

She will love prison she is one who adjusts to life where ever she is and can manipulate the people around her. She should have been put to death. She will never sit and agonize over the person she killed she is not capable of feeling anything she has no conscience and they don't make anyone really work in prison anymore. She got what she wanted to live even if it is prison so no real punishment in this case.

Offline flowers

She will love prison she is one who adjusts to life where ever she is and can manipulate the people around her. She should have been put to death. She will never sit and agonize over the person she killed she is not capable of feeling anything she has no conscience and they don't make anyone really work in prison anymore. She got what she wanted to live even if it is prison so no real punishment in this case.
Good post