Author Topic: Ron Paul criticizes Iran position taken by his son, Rand Paul  (Read 967 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.chron.com/news/politics/us/article/Ron-Paul-Senate-s-Iran-letter-a-joke-6193986.php

Ron Paul criticizes Iran position taken by his son, Rand Paul
By Brian M. Rosenthal | April 11, 2015 | Updated: April 11, 2015 9:45pm

AUSTIN - Well, this could make for an awkward conversation at Thanksgiving dinner.

Former Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul on Saturday dismissed as a "joke" the demand by U.S. senators of his party that they must approve a potential agreement over the Middle East country's nuclear capabilities.

"I strongly disagree with the motivation of that statement made by so many members of Congress, especially in the Senate," Paul said at a conference on liberty at the University of Texas at Austin, presumably referring to an open letter senators sent to Iranian officials describing any deal not approved by them as informal.

Paul, a longtime Lake Jackson congressman who left office in 2013, said Congress should have a role in reviewing agreements, but he questioned whether the senators really cared about the constitutional questions or just wanted to undermine the deal.

"They're out to stop peace," he said. "They're terrified that peace might break out."

Paul's son, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who announced his own presidential bid earlier this week, signed the letter and cosponsored a bill to require the Obama administration to seek congressional review.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Ron Paul criticizes Iran position taken by his son, Rand Paul
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:08:22 pm »
Cong. Paul, doesn't the Senate say the Senate ratifies treaties? Is he going to damage his son's campaign?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:40:36 pm »
Cong. Paul, doesn't the Senate say the Senate ratifies treaties? Is he going to damage his son's campaign?

I find this very interesting, but not surprising. Ron Paul stands by what he believes in.  I don't think he is trying to hurt his son's campaign...but it is what is it and he's calling it as he sees it.  Ron Paul wasn't the most popular candidate, and perhaps this is putting some separation between them on the campaign trail. I can see Ronbeing vocal about a difference of opinion as he has never been one to keep silent.  As far as the economy and domestic issues and some foreign issues of past; Ron Paul has been RIGHT!

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:30 pm »

Last time I checked it does..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:34:48 pm »
The old man doesn't like Rand's position on any particular issue?   I reflexively consider that a feather in the son's cap.

It seems to me that Rand embodies the noble libertarian sensibilities of Ron without the attendant goofiness.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:40:26 pm »
"They're out to stop peace," he said. "They're terrified that peace might break out."

Vintage Ron Paul......

Clueless.

(This is what worries me about his son.  Does HE think that what Obama is doing will actually lead to 'peace'??  Scary).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:41:12 pm »
The old man doesn't like Rand's position on any particular issue?   I reflexively consider that a feather in the son's cap.

It seems to me that Rand embodies the noble libertarian sensibilities of Ron without the attendant goofiness.

I hope you're right, in case he wins the nomination......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 12:49:03 am »

Helping Iran get nukes has got to go down as the most bone headed foreign policy idea ever. Islamic extremists with really big bombs. Yeah, baby!

Smooth move.

But, since Obama doesn't recognize Islamic extremism ... all's well. Peace be upon him.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 02:12:30 am »
Ron has always had an interesting relationship with Iran, not only opposing sanctions, but going to Iran's state press multiple times to trash the US's position towards them. Example:

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/01/17/393523/Ron-Paul-Sanctions-on-Iran-act-of-war-

Even worse:
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/08/30/377127/ron-paul-us-govt-knew-about-911/

Ron Paul seems to be Iran's Press TV's favorite politician.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:06:57 am »
Ron has always had an interesting relationship with Iran, not only opposing sanctions, but going to Iran's state press multiple times to trash the US's position towards them. Example:

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/01/17/393523/Ron-Paul-Sanctions-on-Iran-act-of-war-

Even worse:
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/08/30/377127/ron-paul-us-govt-knew-about-911/

Ron Paul seems to be Iran's Press TV's favorite politician.

The cynic in me thinks Ron's criticism may be part of a conspiracy to insulate Rand from his father's foreign policy past. Don't want the sins of the father to taint the son's chances of getting the nomination of a republican party increasingly anxious over the Obama/democrat-caused Middle East meltdown.