Author Topic: Bloomberg Poll: 42 Percent of Republicans Won't Vote for Bush  (Read 1270 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=637939

Newsmax
Bloomberg Poll: 42 Percent of Republicans Won't Vote for Bush
Sunday, April 12, 2015 07:29 AM

By: Michael Bender and Arit John

Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul may have a problem with women, and Jeb Bush already has been written off by a large share of potential primary voters, according to a new Bloomberg Politics National Poll that underscores the wide-open nature of the race four months before the first primary debate.

Just 11 percent of Republican and independent women in the poll said they'd seriously consider supporting Paul, a U.S. senator from Kentucky who announced his presidential bid last week, compared to 22 percent of men. No other Republican contender has a worse spread.

Among all Republicans and independents in the poll, 42 percent said they would never consider voting for Bush, a former Florida governor and brother and son to former presidents.

The news is not all bad for Paul, and in fact, when Republicans and independents were asked whom they would potentially consider supporting, Paul topped the field with 58 percent. At least 50 percent of those same voters said they'd also be willing to consider five other aspirants—former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, former Texas Governor Rick Perry, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, Texas Senator Ted Cruz, and Bush—showing that the party has several visable, viable, and worthy candidates and signaling a potentially lengthy nomination battle.

Paul, the son of former Representative Ron Paul, who ran his own presidential campaigns in 2008 and 2012, has some work to do among women. He opposes abortion, which may account for some of his difficulty. And since announcing his presidential campaign last week in Louisville, he has drawn attention after appearing combative in recent interviews with female journalists.

In a live interview earlier this year on CNBC, Paul shushed and scolded Kelly Evans in response to questions about his support for parents' choice on childhood vaccinations. He also bristled during an interview last week with Today co-host Savannah Guthrie, telling her that she was "editorializing” in the way she asked about his evolving foreign policies.

Paul has defended himself, saying he has been "testy"with reporters of both genders. And nearly half of Republican and independent women indicated that they might consider supporting Paul, indicating that he can solidify his standing with them.

“Rand Paul has a lot of really good foundational ideas, but I think he’s a little bit radical,” said Patsy Childers, a 76- year-old Republican from Oklahoma. “He’s more, ‘I’m going to do this and I don’t care what anybody thinks about it because I think it’s right.’ That sort of attitude. He’s kind of like [President Barack] Obama in that regard. I don’t think he could work well with a lot of people.”

Bush’s challenges with potential primary voters are well established. His support for easing immigration laws runs counter to the views held by many conservatives. He also backs Common Core academic standards, which have fueled fears within the party, while other presidential contenders have criticized them as akin to creating a national school board. Bush is also contending with voter anxiety about electing a third Bush president.

The new poll reveals the depth of that skepticism. Among the party's potential candidates who Republicans and independents say they'd never consider supporting, Bush and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie are on a similar level with longshot candidates such as former New York Governor George Pataki and U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina. Businessman and TV personality Donald Trump appears to have the lowest chance of winning the nomination, as 62 percent of Republicans and independents say they'd never consider voting for him.

“I didn’t like him when his brother was first elected with Florida—I think that was definitely manipulated,” said Barbara Livingston, a 62-year-old independent respondent in North Carolina, said about Bush. Bush was Florida governor in 2000 when his brother George's presidential race against Al Gore was decided by 537 votes in the state.

Bush does better among Republicans. Only about one in four say they'd never consider supporting him compared to 22 percent who said the same about Paul and 23 percent for Cruz. Among Republicans, 36 percent said they'd never consider supporting Christie, trailing only Pataki (45 percent) and Trump (55 percent).

“I don’t want to see a repeat (of) Bush-Clinton," said poll respondent Virginia Davis, 65, from Indiana. “This is not totally fair to him, but I wasn’t happy with George W. Bush at all.”

Huckabee enjoyed particularly strong support when only Republicans were asked about candidates–25 percent they said they would "seriously consider" supporting him. Four others broke the 20 percent bar: Bush, at 23 percent; Cruz, 22 percent; Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, 21 percent; and Paul, 20 percent.

The poll included independents in its assessment of potential presidential candidates because many states hold nominating contests in which all voters can participate, or all voters to change their registration on Election Day.

The poll also points to potential trouble for whomever emerges from the Republican field: More Americans say they have a favorable view of Congress, 34 percent, than any of party's top contenders. Still, many of those Republican contenders have room to grow. About one-third of Americans said they hadn't heard enough about Paul or Cruz, while 46 percent say the same about Rubio and 58 percent said they don't know enough about Walker to offer a rating.

The Republican Party as a whole is facing a significant favorability gap compared with Democrats. Among all voters, 38 percent said they have a favorable view of the Republican Party, while 53 percent said they had an unfavorable view. That compares to a 48-44 split for Democrats.

The poll, was conducted April 6-8 by West Des Moines, Iowa- based Selzer & Co. It included interviews with 1,008 adults and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points on the full sample. Read the full poll questions and methodology here.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Bloomberg Poll: 42 Percent of Republicans Won't Vote for Bush
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 01:10:15 pm »
I'm not one for polls, but the GOPe and Bush should be taking a look at these very early polls and really consider who they have in the playing field.  Bush was the first to announce that he was forming an exploratory committee and drew Romney out to announce he wasn't running; but he still hasn't made his announcement and if Rubio runs he's going to steal his thunder.  Florida is going to be key to getting the GOP nod.  Ahhh...but Cruz is also of Cuban heritage.  Gee, I wonder if this upcoming election has anything to do with Obama playing "nicey" with Castro. 

It's going to be Bush, Rubio and Cruz fighting for Florida. Bets anyone?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 01:12:28 pm »
Thought that number would be higher than 42% but that cannot be said because JEB is winning everything in every poll. JEB is counting on the FIX being put in the primary to be the candidate. The money people do not care if HILLARY or JEB win and neither one will be upset if they lose.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 04:03:15 pm »
The GOP best take a deeper look at this poll.  A Jeb Bush candidacy could well be the proverbial straw that breaks the party's back--for good.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
The GOP best take a deeper look at this poll.  A Jeb Bush candidacy could well be the proverbial straw that breaks the party's back--for good.
[/quote

:amen:  I feel a Clinton nomination will be just as detrimental to the DEMS.   888bravo
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 06:40:08 pm »
Make it 43%. They didn't ask me.

It is absurd, absurd in the extreme, that in a country of 350 million people we are looking down the barrel of another Bush/Clinton election, 20 years later. It is weird. It is stupid.

If the GOP wants to commit some kind of Jonestown type mass suicide, then all they have to do is give us another McCain or Bush. That would do it.

GW was a huge disappointment to me, especially in his last two years. His domestic policies were only nuances of the Democrat policies. And his brother is even worse than he was.

I will not vote for another Democrat-Lite candidate. And Jeb is the poster boy for Liberal/Democrat-Lite.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:23:38 pm »
The GOP holds the majority in both federal legislative chambers, and last November advanced the number of Governors and state legislative chamber majorities, tremendously.

And from those Fact your Feelings lead you to conclude they are nearly Finished?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:54 pm »
The GOP holds the majority in both federal legislative chambers, and last November advanced the number of Governors and state legislative chamber majorities, tremendously.

And from those Fact your Feelings lead you to conclude they are nearly Finished?

I really think you "read" the mid term elections in a very different way than I. Yes, the number of GOP governors advanced as well as taking the majority in both Houses.  However, it wasn't because all of a sudden Democrat voters turned Republican.  It was simply they had ONLY two choices ... vote for continuing Obama policy and vote Democrat or vote for the opposite party in hopes that they would steer the train wreck in the opposite position.  Let's face it, it's the GOPe that dominates AND as of now, they have done very little if anything to stop Obama policy.  If anything, Obama has been very effective in making them insignificant.  So in my mind, with Obama being gone, the DEMS will flock to the new DEM candidate OR to a conservative candidate with a message as to why they would make a better president using a true conservative approach.  Republicans aren't going to flock to the GOPe when they've held the majority and have done nothing.  They will either sit it out or vote 3rd party.  The GOPe needs to realize their mistake of trying to be moderates; it didn't work with McCain or Romney and it sure as heck isn't going to work with another Bush.

As I had stated in another post; Hillary is as detrimental to the DEMS as Bush is to the Republican party.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 07:44:06 pm »
Make it 43%. They didn't ask me.

It is absurd, absurd in the extreme, that in a country of 350 million people we are looking down the barrel of another Bush/Clinton election, 20 years later. It is weird. It is stupid.

If the GOP wants to commit some kind of Jonestown type mass suicide, then all they have to do is give us another McCain or Bush. That would do it.

GW was a huge disappointment to me, especially in his last two years. His domestic policies were only nuances of the Democrat policies. And his brother is even worse than he was.

I will not vote for another Democrat-Lite candidate. And Jeb is the poster boy for Liberal/Democrat-Lite.

I agree.  "W"'s last two years were less than stellar, but we also need to remember that the Democrats held the majorty.

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:18:25 pm »

What have they done with this numerical advantage?  Nothing.  The people turned to them and have been betrayed by McConnell and Boehner in particular.  Boehner promised to accomplish 12 things in the first 12 weeks and he has accomplished one, the bill for the Alaskan pipeline and that was vetoed.  Not real impressive. :facepalm2:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 08:27:00 pm »
The November election was our hail Mary shot.  One last ditch long shot effort.  It had very little to do with satisfaction with the Republicans - but more to do with extreme dissatisfaction with Democrats.  Most of us knew going in it was likely to be futile.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 01:16:15 am »
truth seeker wrote above:
[[ The GOP holds the majority in both federal legislative chambers, and last November advanced the number of Governors and state legislative chamber majorities, tremendously.
And from those Fact your Feelings lead you to conclude they are nearly Finished? ]]

Looking back over the past 40 years or so, we've seen some remarkable political "reversals of fortune" that almost seemed too unbelievable to be true -- but they happened.

After Desert Storm, G.H.W. Bush enjoyed poll ratings around 89%, if I recall. Yet within two years he won a whopping 39% of the vote in the 1992 election.

The Republican party certainly is doing well out in the hinterlands, in the red and purple states. At least in 2014 they were.

But even after winning big numbers in the House and taking back the Senate, the DC Pubbies seem ineffectual at best and hopelessly inept at worst. Brings to mind Casey Stengel: "Can't anybody here play this game?"

The few that are trying to play are the hard-right conservatives like Cruz who seems to get quite a few "hits" even on this forum. They are denigrated as unable to win and out of the mainstream.

Well, the Republican "mainstream" -- at least in DC -- has become stagnant and brackish.

Months ago, long before the 2014 election, I stated in this forum that even in the face of a well-defined "victory" Republicans would have only so long to demonstrate that they were willing to be a true opposing force to the obammunists.

That "demonstration" has yet to be forthcoming.

They better do something soon.
They haven't too many months left.

As crusty and musty as O'er-the-Hillary is, she remains the one to beat.
It's not going to be a cakewalk...

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 01:23:19 am »
In other words, 42% of Republicans will vote for Hillary (or whatever other demon the DNC puts up).

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 02:37:49 am »
In other words, 42% of Republicans will vote for Hillary (or whatever other demon the DNC puts up).

Nice try. But what the poll says is 42% isn't going to play the game the GOPe has laid out, you know, the one where "they have no where else to go". They're just saying they're not going anywhere, like a voting booth.

And before you pull out the old 'if you don't vote for the GOP, it's a vote for Hillary', you guys have been pounding into us for months how important those independent moderates are, how you can't win without them, see how many you get. And see if it cancels out all us 'right wing nuts' you lose in vote totals.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Relic

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 02:55:37 am »
Nice try. But what the poll says is 42% isn't going to play the game the GOPe has laid out, you know, the one where "they have no where else to go". They're just saying they're not going anywhere, like a voting booth.

And before you pull out the old 'if you don't vote for the GOP, it's a vote for Hillary', you guys have been pounding into us for months how important those independent moderates are, how you can't win without them, see how many you get. And see if it cancels out all us 'right wing nuts' you lose in vote totals.

:thumbsup: