Author Topic: Sarah Palin 2.0: Carly Fiorina is conservatives' new Queen Bee. Will she crater too?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121480/carly-fiorina-new-sarah-palin

By Naomi Shavin

In 2008, Sarah Palin was an appealing running mate to John McCain because she offered a potential antidote to the GOP’s insufferable white-maleness. On paper she looked promising, and on television she looked great, but problems started when she opened her mouth. In The New Yorker’s October 27 issue that year, Jane Meyer chronicled Palin’s rise to fame within the party—and then nationally, of course—concluding that it had a lot to do with her gender and little to do with her track record. (At that point, she had been governor for less than two years.) In 2010, writing in her New York Times opinion column, Maureen Down called Sarah Palin the GOP “Queen Bee,” a reference to her status among other women in the GOP.

Five years later, it seems the GOP has finally found a new Queen: Carly Fiorina. In 1999, Fiorina became a household name—at least in a certain kind of household—when she was named CEO of Hewlett-Packard, making her the first female head of a Fortune 20 company. (She was fired in 2005 after a series of scandalous leaks.) In 2008, Fiorina was one of McCain’s chief economic advisors, and Palin and Fiorina supported one another over the years: Fiorina defended Palin against “sexist attacks” in 2008; later, in 2010, Palin endorsed Fiorina’s campaign for Barbara Boxer’s California Senate seat.

Fiorina has sought to distance herself from Palin and from other Tea Party conservatives of late, though, including during her California Senate run. As 2016 looms, the GOP, too, has begun to shift: In their quest to find more politically viable candidates to put forward, it’s no wonder Fiorina has recently become a household name. (Again, in a certain kind of household.)

At first glance, Fiorina can be seen as an upgraded Palin, and she occupies a similar position in the party: Fiorina is a charismatic woman with enough success and outsider-status to plausibly appeal to conservative voters—and to possibly even attract new ones. In fact, in 2008 there was even speculation that Fiorina might run with McCain.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
She is not as attractive as Palin, but she talks better.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline andy58-in-nh

Carly Fiorina is to Sarah Palin as Budweiser is to Cabernet Sauvigon.

Sometimes I want a beer, but wine has more depth and character.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GourmetDan

Therz jes somethin 'bout sassy wimmen...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

My unshakable opinion is that Carly Fiorina will end up in the number two slot on the republican presidential slate. And that can only be good for conservative GOPers.

Offline musiclady

It's refreshing to have someone who's fighting back against Hillary.

She's been impressive, I'll tell you that!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
My unshakable opinion is that Carly Fiorina will end up in the number two slot on the republican presidential slate. And that can only be good for conservative GOPers.

I'd like to see that!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

The once-great New Republic is now nothing but a mouthpiece for the DNC.

Shavin is a 24 year old writer who couldn't find her ass with both hands. When Palin ran in 2008, she still didn't have a driver's license.

That said,someone made the comparison of Cabernet Sauvignon to beer. That is apt. Fiorina is well-read, up to speed on issues, and her cringe factor is non-existent.

I, too, would be proud to have her as the VP nominee.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I don't know what will happen there but I would not be displeased at all if she became the VP nominee.  The media and the GOPe  attempted to destroy Sarah Palin but I have a feeling that she will be heard from again before it's all over and done with.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

I don't know what will happen there but I would not be displeased at all if she became the VP nominee.  The media and the GOPe  attempted to destroy Sarah Palin but I have a feeling that she will be heard from again before it's all over and done with.

The GOPe put Palin in the number 2 spot to bring the Party together.  Sarah Palin destroyed Sarah Palin.  Yes, Palin will continue to be heard from,  but never again be taken seriously by most Americans.  Carly actually has much more than a backpack full of one-liners.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline kevindavis007

The GOPe put Palin in the number 2 spot to bring the Party together.  Sarah Palin destroyed Sarah Palin.  Yes, Palin will continue to be heard from,  but never again be taken seriously by most Americans.  Carly actually has much more than a backpack full of one-liners.

Had Sarah not resigned from the Governorship in Alaska, she would have been still a major force.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline MACVSOG68

Had Sarah not resigned from the Governorship in Alaska, she would have been still a major force.

No doubt that helped define her,  but she started defining herself as less than competent soon after her VP nomination.  Yes the MSM was unrelenting but not without cause.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

If she is effective, she will be.  That is certainly her strategy.  Become the VP by virtue of hounding Hillary from the female point of view.

Offline Relic

In 2008, Sarah Palin was an appealing running mate to John McCain because she offered a potential antidote to the GOP’s insufferable white-maleness.

And the opening sentence tells me all I need to know. This was written by a venomous, aggrieved, moron.

Offline Relic

I have heard Fiorina on some radio interviews. She's very good. But, be careful with this one. I've been in tech for a long time, and when Fiorina was at HP, there were lots of bad things that went on.

I have no idea how much of the rumors are true, but there are a lot of them, and the leftist media will produce them in abundance. Fiorina will be portrayed as a female version of Mitt Romney if she becomes a threat to the left.

Offline aligncare

I have heard Fiorina on some radio interviews. She's very good. But, be careful with this one. I've been in tech for a long time, and when Fiorina was at HP, there were lots of bad things that went on.

I have no idea how much of the rumors are true, but there are a lot of them, and the leftist media will produce them in abundance. Fiorina will be portrayed as a female version of Mitt Romney if she becomes a threat to the left.

Fiorina should expect to be fully vetted. If there are facts behind the rumors, by all means let's get them out there now. That's what a primary is for.

Offline GourmetDan

That's what a primary is for.

But not what actually happens during the primaries as long as the msm controls the narrative...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

But not what actually happens during the primaries as long as the msm controls the narrative...

Yes, of course you are right. But, that's what every Republican faces in the national media.

Hopefully, the GOP has been learning new tactics to get around the hostile state-run media – for one thing, don't talk to them. Go to neutral or friendly venues. Starve the mainstream media of interviews.

The candidates should learn how to vette the media instead of walking into hostile territory, such as Stephanopoulos.

Offline aligncare

Will she crater too?

I'm sure mainstream media moguls are efforting that as I write.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't care how well or poorly Carly did at HP.

We do not choose vice presidential candidates simply because of their sex, without considering an electoral record.

What such record does Fiorina have, except for the California Senate race which she lost?

Regardless of her rhetoric (which has actually been fairly good lately), she has nothing to stand on politically.

Do we really, really want someone like this to be a heartbeat away from ....?

Offline xfreeper

I don't care how well or poorly Carly did at HP.

We do not choose vice presidential candidates simply because of their sex, without considering an electoral record.

What such record does Fiorina have, except for the California Senate race which she lost?

Regardless of her rhetoric (which has actually been fairly good lately), she has nothing to stand on politically.

Do we really, really want someone like this to be a heartbeat away from ....?

No. Having somebody on the ticket without any elective office experience would be a big mistake.