Author Topic: Obama's advice to Walker: ‘Bone up on foreign policy’  (Read 884 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama's advice to Walker: ‘Bone up on foreign policy’
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:54:33 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/238047-obama-to-walker-bone-up-on-foreign-policy

April 07, 2015, 08:03 am
Obama's advice to Walker: ‘Bone up on foreign policy’

By Ben Kamisar

President Obama has sharp words for Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) over the 2016 White House hopeful’s criticism of the multilateral deal on Iran’s nuclear program, telling him to “bone up” on foreign policy.

“And, you know, I am confident that any president who gets elected will be knowledgeable enough about foreign policy and knowledgeable enough about the traditions and precedents of presidential power that they won't start calling to question the capacity of the executive branch of the United States to enter into agreements with other countries,” Obama said Monday during an interview with NPR News.

“It would be a foolish approach to take, and, you know, perhaps Mr. Walker, after he's taken some time to bone up on foreign policy, will feel the same way.”

Walker said last week that he would axe the deal on his first day in office even if America’s European allies still supported it.

Obama has been making the case for the Iran deal since international negotiators announced a framework last Thursday. The deal would lift international sanctions on Iran in exchange for a drawdown of the country’s nuclear program, including scaling down uranium enrichment and expanding the breakout time that Iran needs to develop a weapon.

Nuclear experts estimate that Iran would be just a few months away from developing a bomb. The deal would extend that time to at least one year for the next decade. Obama called that restriction an important piece of the plan, but admitted that the breakout period could disintegrate after those terms expire.

“What is a more relevant fear would be that in year 13, 14, 15, they have advanced centrifuges that enrich uranium fairly rapidly, and at that point the breakout times would have shrunk almost down to zero,” he said.

But Obama added that the deal’s expansive monitoring would allow unprecedented access to Iran’s nuclear program and that future presidents will still be able to “take action” if Tehran bucks its responsibilities under the agreement.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PzLdr

Re: Obama's advice to Walker: ‘Bone up on foreign policy’
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »
Why should Obozo , or his lackeys, tell anyone to "Bone up on foreign policy" He never did.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:18:00 pm »
Obama is elevating Governor Walker with his criticism.  For those who don't like the Iran deal, Walker is the solution.  You can't buy that kind of press.  Governor Walker should thank Obama.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:28:16 pm »
Obama is elevating Governor Walker with his criticism.  For those who don't like the Iran deal, Walker is the solution.  You can't buy that kind of press.  Governor Walker should thank Obama.
If actual experience with foreign policy and national security is the criteria, then Lindsey Graham stands out from the others.

Obama's mention of Walker might be taken as an indication that Obama thinks Walker will be the eventual nominee.

Before reaching that point, the circular firing squad has a lot of work to do. Qualifications and experience are the least of the criteria.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »
If actual experience with foreign policy and national security is the criteria, then Lindsey Graham stands out from the others.

Obama's mention of Walker might be taken as an indication that Obama thinks Walker will be the eventual nominee.

Before reaching that point, the circular firing squad has a lot of work to do. Qualifications and experience are the least of the criteria.
One of the things I've been noticing in the polls is American's are increasingly scared of terrorism and Obama's foreign policy.  FP could be a bigger issue this time around.  That is a great trend for Graham, and a bad trend for Rand Paul, but really good news for almost all the rest of the GOP candidates.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:51:59 pm »
One of the things I've been noticing in the polls is American's are increasingly scared of terrorism and Obama's foreign policy.  FP could be a bigger issue this time around.  That is a great trend for Graham, and a bad trend for Rand Paul, but really good news for almost all the rest of the GOP candidates.
I understand Eisenhower's words of advice about the "military industrial complex," which has been just one of several institutions in America with power to feed from the Wash. DC, both financially and policy wise.

I do believe the Soviets were a menace and a threat, but now I think the muslim terrorists are actually worse. As a long distance runner until a few years ago, the Boston Marathon scene chills me distinctly.

Rand Paul he is less attractive to me, than a few years ago. I don't sense that national security is a high priority for him.

For me, the muslim threat means I want a president that distinctly makes national security priority number one, period.

--If our troops are involved, rules of engagement to save our troops' lives, not locals.
--Intelligence capability vs. personal privacy realism.
--Defense spending levels.
--Foreign relations.

Rand Paul shows weakness and unrealism on all of those fronts.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:25:04 pm »
I understand Eisenhower's words of advice about the "military industrial complex," which has been just one of several institutions in America with power to feed from the Wash. DC, both financially and policy wise.

I do believe the Soviets were a menace and a threat, but now I think the muslim terrorists are actually worse. As a long distance runner until a few years ago, the Boston Marathon scene chills me distinctly.

Rand Paul he is less attractive to me, than a few years ago. I don't sense that national security is a high priority for him.

For me, the muslim threat means I want a president that distinctly makes national security priority number one, period.

--If our troops are involved, rules of engagement to save our troops' lives, not locals.
--Intelligence capability vs. personal privacy realism.
--Defense spending levels.
--Foreign relations.

Rand Paul shows weakness and unrealism on all of those fronts.
I agree.  I actually share all of your concerns.

That being said all the candidates have their weaknesses.  Sen. Paul has a lot of other advantages and IMO those counter balance his FP flaws.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:18:20 pm »
If Odumbo ever attended a morning briefing, I might think he's on to something. But I doubt he knows any more about foreign policy than I do. Beer, marijuana, the Quran, gay sex - yeah, he has the edge on all of those topics.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org