Author Topic: Sen. Rand Paul set to join 2016 presidential field  (Read 1319 times)

Offline mountaineer

Sen. Rand Paul set to join 2016 presidential field
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:39:13 pm »
Sen. Rand Paul set to join 2016 presidential field
FOX News
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is expected to launch his 2016 presidential campaign at high noon on Tuesday, bringing his libertarian-leaning brand of conservatism to what is likely to be a crowded primary field.

The 52-year-old Republican senator will announce his plans at a "Stand with Rand" rally in Louisville.

A Tea Party favorite and frequent antagonist of leaders of his Republican Party, Paul is expected to head out after the rally to early nominating states with a pitch aimed at the libertarian corners of the GOP. He would be the second announced candidate, following closely behind Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, but he could face as many as 20 rivals for the nomination before the lead-off Iowa caucuses early next year.

After his speech in Louisville, Paul was also set to answer questions from voters on his Facebook page.

On the eve of his launch, Paul's political committee put out a web video that said: "On April 7, one leader will stand up to defeat the Washington machine and unleash the American dream."

Paul joined the Senate in 2011 after the Tea Party wave that also helped Republicans take control of the House for the first time in roughly 40 years.

While at times a gadfly to party leadership, he's also positioned himself as slightly more mainstream than his father, former Texas GOP Rep. Ron Paul. While his father proudly embraces anti-interventionist views, the younger Paul has denied claims that he's an isolationist on the world stage.

At a time of Islamic State and other terror threats, Paul may have to fight to prove his national security credentials -- particularly as other Republicans suggest he's not tough enough.

On Monday, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who's weighing a bid of his own, said, "Rand Paul's foreign policy is to the left of President Obama."

Paul nevertheless has risen to national prominence, in large part because of his outspoken opposition to government surveillance and overspending, including the high cost of imprisoning Americans under mandatory-minimum drug sentencing.

He attended Duke University School of Medicine and originally worked as an eye doctor. Paul is married to Kelley Ashby and they have three boys -- Robert, William and Duncan.

Beyond seeking support from conservatives, independents and libertarians, Paul also plans to get the backing of those who might not necessarily think a Republican deserves their vote.

Paul has made a point of visiting college campuses, including historically black colleges, and minority communities. For example, after the protests in Ferguson, Mo., he visited the city and urged black residents to vote.

Perhaps reflecting the challenges he faces in convincing his critics he deserves the nomination, Paul is also leaving open the door to a second term in the Senate. With the backing of his state's senior senator, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Paul is likely to seek the White House and the Senate seat at the same time.

One of his likely presidential rivals, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, has said he would not double-dip on the ballot. He is expected to announce next week that he will skip a Senate re-election bid in 2016 in favor of putting everything into a presidential campaign.
He tweeted that he'll be on Hannity's show for an hour today.
Dr. Rand Paul ‏@RandPaul  · 2h2 hours ago 
Its a great day to be in Kentucky! Following our special event, I will join @seanhannity for an entire hour on @FoxNews at 10:00pm EST.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:40:09 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: Sen. Rand Paul set to join 2016 presidential field
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:42:30 pm »
Jennifer Jacobs ‏@JenniferJJacobs  · 18m18 minutes ago   Cedar Rapids, IA   
Rand Paul mass email: "I'm running for President of the United States of America because I want to defeat the Washington machine." #iacaucus

Dr. Rand Paul ‏@RandPaul  · Apr 6 
Join with us to defeat the Washington machine & unleash the American dream>> http://randpaul.com

TwitchyTeam ‏@TwitchyTeam  · 48m48 minutes ago 
‘He's an anti-establishment candidate’: Sen. Rand Paul set to announce presidential run at 11:30 a.m. EST http://bit.ly/1FhLsNA

The Washington Times ‏@WashTimes  · 50m50 minutes ago 
Rick Perry: Rand Paul entrance into 2016 presidential race ‘would add a nice prism to it’ http://wtim.es/1yRNEcA  #RickPerry #RandPaul #2016

CNN ‏@CNN  · 2h2 hours ago 
Can he escape his father's shadow? @SenRandPaul is expected to unveil his 2016 plans today: http://cnn.it/1CtMEeX 

CNN's tweet seems to be the Dem talking points, btw.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:51:10 pm »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:58:23 pm »
It is great that we have two voices that have entered the arena - both of whom want to challenge politics as usual in Washington DC.  I appreciate Ted Cruz and Rand Paul having the courage and integrity to put themselves out there.  They both will bring up issues that need to be addressed.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Longiron

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:20:16 pm »
It is great that we have two voices that have entered the arena - both of whom want to challenge politics as usual in Washington DC.  I appreciate Ted Cruz and Rand Paul having the courage and integrity to put themselves out there.  They both will bring up issues that need to be addressed.

These are the only 2 who has a shot against Hillary. Walker blew his shot doing the Mitt thing of flip flopping on amnesty. Tell the private GOP one thing and the public another. Who needs another RINOGOP, Dem lite candidate who cannot WIN. :0001:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »
I heard a few lines of the senator's speech on Rush. Those did resonated with me.

Up next, Rubio's announcement he's running.

And listen to Carly Fiorina going after environmentalist policies in Sacramento for playing a causative role in the California drought. She is on fire––and no water in sight! Don't tell me she's not our next vice Pres.

The field is starting to take shape. Next two years should offer up lively exchanges about the direction the party should take. With a possible 16-candidate field it seems all corners of Republicanism will find representation.

In fact, this should be an epic two years in the history of the world as Obama's general ineptness and deliberate reversal of US foreign policy shows us, our allies,  AND our enemies how essential American leadership is to middle east stability.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »
I heard a few lines of the senator's speech on Rush. Those did resonated with me.

Up next, Rubio's announcement he's running.

And listen to Carly Fiorina going after environmentalist policies in Sacramento for playing a causative role in the California drought. She is on fire––and no water in sight! Don't tell me she's not our next vice Pres.

The field is starting to take shape. Next two years should offer up lively exchanges about the direction the party should take. With a possible 16-candidate field it seems all corners of Republicanism will find representation.

In fact, this should be an epic two years in the history of the world as Obama's general ineptness and deliberate reversal of US foreign policy shows us, our allies,  AND our enemies how essential American leadership is to middle east stability.

Another great post.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 07:45:09 pm »
I'll stick with a ticket of Walker-Gov. Martinez, or equivalent.

Martinez pulls several percentage points of both women and Hispanics everywhere.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 08:29:15 pm »
I'll wait to hear from each candidate before I make up my mind.

But, there's certainly nothing wrong with giving a shout out when one of our candidates strikes a melodious note that reverberates to the heavens and makes the angels sing!

I haven't heard much of that from this Congress even with their clear 2014 mandate passing the Senate back over, ostensibly to the good guys.

But, pubbie's act like they're the 2/3 minority government with Obama's 1/3 holding sway. What's up with that?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:16:51 pm »
Yes, we hear there could be over a dozen Republican hopefuls. Too soon to make a reasoned decision.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:58 pm »
Full speech

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-6KnMd8g8g

Thanks for posting the speech...I had missed it.

I like him.  I like that he takes this message to non-Republican demographics.  I'm looking forward to hearing more from him.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 03:11:15 am »
The next president -- if that president is a Republican -- is going to have to join with Israel to demolish Iran's nuclear capabilities.

Rand won't be willing to do that.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 04:39:59 am »
The next president -- if that president is a Republican -- is going to have to join with Israel to demolish Iran's nuclear capabilities.

Rand won't be willing to do that.
Only Nixon could go to China.

I don't know that Rand would take on Iran, but I don't now that he wouldn't, and if he did, nobody could claim he was in the pocket of Israel.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:15 pm »

I share those thoughts exactly. The rest of the field are the beltway boys who have not, and will not challenge the status quo.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn