Author Topic: Report: Bush registered to vote as Hispanic  (Read 2518 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Bush registered to vote as Hispanic
« on: April 06, 2015, 01:32:50 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/237958-report-jeb-bush-registered-to-vote-as-hispanic-in-2009

April 06, 2015, 08:48 am
Report: Bush registered to vote as Hispanic

By David McCabe

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), who is considering running for president, identified himself as Hispanic on a voter registration form in 2009, The New York Times reported on Monday.

When asked for his race or ethnicity, he marked the box labeled “Hispanic” on the voter registration application — which the Times posted along with its story.

Under Florida law, voter registration applications must be submitted in hard copy and require a signature.

A Bush spokesperson could not explain why the form had been filled out the way it was, the Times reported.

Bush is likely to appeal to Hispanic voters should he run for the White House. He has taken a more moderate position on immigration, and speaks fluent Spanish.

He is expected to launch a presidential campaign in the coming months. Though he is courting donors and powerful supporters, he has not said when he plans to announce his intentions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:33:12 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Report: Bush registered to vote as Hispanic
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 01:51:27 pm »
Oh, great. Race relations have come a long way in America. Perhaps to where the 2016 presidential election may be between candidates who are Native American and Hispanic.

My, but aren't we inclusive...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »
Why are we asking for “race” on a voter registration card in the first place? I know that in New York, they don't require that.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 02:23:12 pm »
If it is true that Jeb Bush marked himself as Hispanic, when he is - indeed - clearly NOT an Hispanic, then I find that to be disturbing. 

If true, it means he lied on his voter registration.  I agree that the question shouldn't even be on the form - but why would he do something like that, especially being such a high profile person. 

Are we at a place where we can just pick and choose our ethnicity?  That ethnicity is now just a tool for perks and advancement? 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 02:30:09 pm »
If it is true that Jeb Bush marked himself as Hispanic, when he is - indeed - clearly NOT an Hispanic, then I find that to be disturbing. 

If true, it means he lied on his voter registration.  I agree that the question shouldn't even be on the form - but why would he do something like that, especially being such a high profile person. 

Are we at a place where we can just pick and choose our ethnicity?  That ethnicity is now just a tool for perks and advancement?

That's the disturbing part.  IF he did this (and I'd need verification that he did), then he lied on his voter registration (Just ask GHW and Bar about what ethnicity they are).

That alone disqualifies him from the race, IMO.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/04/06/jeb-bushs-deep-ties-to-hispanics-show-even-in-voter-form/?ref=politics&_r=0
Jeb Bush’s Deep Ties to Hispanics Show Even in Voter Form

7:14 am ET By Alan Rappeport

There is little doubt that Jeb Bush possesses strong credentials for appealing to Hispanic voters.

He speaks fluent Spanish. His wife, Columba Bush, was born in Mexico. For two years in his 20s, he lived in Venezuela, immersing himself in the country’s culture.

Mr. Bush, a former Florida governor and likely presidential candidate, was born in Texas and hails from one of America’s most prominent political dynasties. But on at least one occasion, it appears he got carried away with his appeal to Spanish-speaking voters and claimed he actually was Hispanic.

In a 2009 voter-registration application, obtained from the Miami-Dade County Elections Department, Mr. Bush marked Hispanic in the field labeled “race/ethnicity.”

A Bush spokeswoman could offer no explanation for the characterization.

Carolina Lopez, deputy supervisor of elections for Miami-Dade, said voters must submit hard copies of applications with a signature before receiving a voter information card confirming their address and polling location. According to the Florida Division of Elections, the application requires an original signature because the voter is swearing or affirming an oath.

Florida law requires that the signature, driver’s license number and social security number be redacted before being publicly released.

While Mr. Bush’s claiming to be Hispanic may have been a careless mistake, confusion over heritage is no laughing matter during a campaign season.

During her Senate campaign in 2012, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts was accused of misrepresenting herself as Native American. Senator Ted Cruz of Texas has had to explain his birth in Canada.

As for Mr. Bush, whom Univision called a “Hispanic candidate” this year, his outreach to Hispanic voters is unlikely to be deterred. With any luck, it will not go to his head again.

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 03:16:38 pm »
That's disturbing enough in its deceit, but you have to add stupidity to it as well.

Why would someone lie on a public document when he was planning on running for President??

He's not a Democrat.  His name is Bush.  He KNOWS he can't get away with what the Dems do.

Stupid!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 03:19:24 pm »
Why are we asking for “race” on a voter registration card in the first place? I know that in New York, they don't require that.
I have marked the  "refuse to answer" response for decades, and will continue to do so.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »
I have marked the  "refuse to answer" response for decades, and will continue to do so.

For years, when I am asked that question - I have put "Human Race" as my answer. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 04:45:11 pm »
Much ado about nothing.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 04:47:34 pm »
BTW...

John Ellis "Jeb" Bush, Jr  IS Hispanic, or could legitimately list his ethnicity as Hispanic.

I'd like to see the birth date on that registration.

Update: The date is right

Typo or error by whoever it was completing that form,
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:52:02 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »
BTW...

John Ellis "Jeb" Bush, Jr  IS Hispanic, or could legitimately list his ethnicity as Hispanic.
What Spanish ancestry can he claim? You don't become Hispanic just by marrying one, just as you can't become black by marrying a black person.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 05:05:35 pm »
What Spanish ancestry can he claim? You don't become Hispanic just by marrying one, just as you can't become black by marrying a black person.

His mother is Hispanic.

They can claim title to the ethnic classification.

"Black" is a race, "Hispanic" is not a race, it's a cultural/ethnic classificaton.

There are white and black Hispanics.

Both these women are "Hispanic".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:09:02 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 05:09:43 pm »

BTW. Jeb Bush, Jr is Jeb's son.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:11:47 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 05:13:33 pm »
BTW...

I'd like to see the birth date on that registration.

Update: The date is right

Typo or error by whoever it was completing that form,

Clarification.... the date is right for Jeb Sr. or Jeb Jr.?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 05:14:15 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jeb-bush-responds-to-report-he-checked-himself-down-as-hispanic-via-twitter/article/2562581

Jeb Bush responds to report he checked himself down as 'Hispanic' --- via Twitter
By Kelly Cohen | April 6, 2015 | 12:12 pm

Jeb Bush took to Twitter Monday to respond to reports that he claimed to be Hispanic — but only after his son did first.

A New York Times report Monday revealed the former Florida governor and 2016 Republican presidential hopeful checked himself as "Hispanic" on a 2009 voter registration form.

Calls for Bush to explain exploded after a Bush spokeswoman could not explain the characterization to the New York Times, which found Bush's 2009 Miami-Dade County Elections Department voter-registration application form.

So, Bush took to Twitter Monday morning to comment on it.

His son, Jeb Bush Jr. tweeted out the link to the NYT article: "Jeb Bush's 2009 Voter-Reg Application http://nyti.ms/1xVRw0V @JebBush LOL — come on dad, think you checked the wrong box #HonoraryLatino"

Jeb Bush, Jr. @JebBushJr
Follow

Jeb Bush’s 2009 Voter-Reg Application http://nyti.ms/1xVRw0V  @JebBush LOL - come on dad, think you checked the wrong box #HonoraryLatino
9:31 AM - 6 Apr 2015

Jeb Bush’s 2009 Voter-Registration Application

Florida state law requires signatures, social security numbers and driver’s license numbers to be redacted from voter-registration applications before being released. The New York Times separately...
The New York Times @nytimes

The elder Jeb Bush tweeted back: "My mistake! Don't think I've fooled anyone!"

Jeb Bush       

@JebBush
Follow

My mistake! Don’t think I’ve fooled anyone! RT @JebBushJr LOL - come on dad, think you checked the wrong box #HonoraryLatino
9:48 AM - 6 Apr 2015 Mount Laurel, NJ, United States

Bush has not commented on the matter officially.
Support the USO

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »
Clarification.... the date is right for Jeb Sr. or Jeb Jr.?

What the NYT is showing is Jeb Sr's application for a duplicate voter's registration form.

It's either typed or an online completion thing.

It's a typo or a misunderstanding. I'm pretty sure Jeb has "people" to do those sorts of menial things for him.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 05:40:37 pm »

Why are we asking for race ever?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:43:18 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 05:44:23 pm »
Maybe to counter this obvious "gotcha" Jeb Sr. could say....

"...what is wrong with being Hispanic? My wife is, and my son is and I just felt like identifying with them too, on that day. There is no harm, by the way. Next question?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 06:41:05 pm »
Why are we asking for race ever?
Good question.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »
BTW. Jeb Bush, Jr is Jeb's son.

Sorry. I misread that. But Jeb Jr. is not the person in question here.

Offline flowers

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »
 :pop41:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 07:25:07 pm »
Sorry. I misread that. But Jeb Jr. is not the person in question here.

I cleared that up as well one I looked at the actual form.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 07:27:45 pm »
Maybe to counter this obvious "gotcha" Jeb Sr. could say....

"...what is wrong with being Hispanic? My wife is, and my son is and I just felt like identifying with them too, on that day. There is no harm, by the way. Next question?"

What "gotcha"?

There's a guy on the WH now whose father was a non-citizen and his mother a young woman of questionable moral values, one running who was born in Canada and one about to announce whose parents weren't even citizens when he was born.

This is a typo or an error.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 01:38:52 am »
[[ A Bush spokesperson could not explain why the form had been filled out the way it was, the Times reported. ]]

Easy answer:
It was filled out for Jeb by Columba!