Author Topic: Why Obama chose the Iran talks to take one of the biggest risks of his presidency  (Read 1175 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/why-obama-chose-the-iran-talks-to-take-one-of-his-presidencys-biggest-risks/2015/04/01/403b7a06-d7af-11e4-ba28-f2a685dc7f89_story.html

A handout picture released by the White House on April 1, 2015 shows President Obama and Vice President Biden, with the national security team, participating in a secure video teleconference from the Situation Room of the White House on March 31, 2015, with Secretary of State John Kerry, Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz and the U.S. team negotiating with Iran about their nuclear program in Lausanne, Switzerland. (White House / Pete Souza/EPA)
By Greg Jaffe April 1 at 1:28 PM

Much of President Obama’s foreign policy agenda has been foisted upon him during his six years in office. He inherited two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, neither of which he’s been able to end. He’s had to react to chaos in the Middle East and a Russian incursion in Ukraine.

The negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program are different. They are Obama’s choice, and he’s fought to keep them moving forward since the beginning of his presidency despite setbacks and second-guessing from Republicans, fellow Democrats and longtime foreign allies.

The latest setback came when the White House agreed to suspend its self-imposed March 31 deadline for an agreement with Iran and keep talking in the hope that remaining differences might soon be resolved. Significant gaps, however, remained.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Because he's a brainless twit.

Offline aligncare

Because he's a brainless twit.

Or, a determined, stealthy ideologue carrying out a purpose or plan to "fundamentally transform" the country like he told us he would.

He's the prez. Who's gonna stop him?

Oceander

Or, a determined, stealthy ideologue carrying out a purpose or plan to "fundamentally transform" the country like he told us he would.

Whatever agreement he works out with Iran won't be worth the paper it's written on if it isn't ratified by Congress.  The next president could wipe it out with nothing more than an executive order.

Offline Relic

I think you're closer to the mark. Obama isn't the genius the palace guard media portrays him to be, but he's not stupid. And I think he is evil.

Offline Relic

Whatever agreement he works out with Iran won't be worth the paper it's written on if it isn't ratified by Congress.  The next president could wipe it out with nothing more than an executive order.

Do you think President Warren would do that?

Oceander

Do you?  If you don't, then you should reconsider your statements that you'll sit out the next election if your picture-perfect candidate doesn't get nominated.

Offline aligncare

In light of developments in the middle east, I don't think warren will fill the bill, even for democrats.

There are moments when I feel optimistic. This is one. The next prez is an R. I know too many people in liberal NYC who have broken with Obama and the democrats after voting for them twice, over Mideast-Israel issues. And on race too, by the way.

Offline Relic

Do you?  If you don't, then you should reconsider your statements that you'll sit out the next election if your picture-perfect candidate doesn't get nominated.

Mischaracterization isn't going to further your argument. I strongly supported Romney, and he was as flawed as most.
I'm growing weary of the Lucy with the football trick that Republicans like to play. My assertion is that if Republicans are unable to fight Democrats, regardless of what the Republicans hold, give it to the Democrats and let them trash it. We're headed that way anyway.

Offline Relic

In light of developments in the middle east, I don't think warren will fill the bill, even for democrats.

There are moments when I feel optimistic. This is one. The next prez is an R. I know too many people in liberal NYC who have broken with Obama and the democrats after voting for them twice, over Mideast-Israel issues. And on race too, by the way.

I think if the Democrats run a woman, it will be difficult for Republicans to beat her.

Offline aligncare

I think if the Democrats run a woman, it will be difficult for Republicans to beat her.

I think Isis trumps that. People are looking to strong experienced leadership.

Not many Thatchers in the world.

Oceander

Mischaracterization isn't going to further your argument. I strongly supported Romney, and he was as flawed as most.
I'm growing weary of the Lucy with the football trick that Republicans like to play. My assertion is that if Republicans are unable to fight Democrats, regardless of what the Republicans hold, give it to the Democrats and let them trash it. We're headed that way anyway.

Then you have no ground to complain about a hypothetical president Warren.  You will have elected her, after all.

Offline Relic

Then you have no ground to complain about a hypothetical president Warren.  You will have elected her, after all.

If only I had such power.

Offline flowers

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Do we have this to look forward to for the next couple of years?  "Vote for X candidate or you're responsible for Y?" 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think you're closer to the mark. Obama isn't the genius the palace guard media portrays him to be, but he's not stupid. And I think he is evil.

No, Obama isn't stupid, but he thinks we all are.  In the case of the Rats who voted for him, he's right.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To the original topic...

I was surfing TV news late last night, and watched some of CNNI (Their international version airs in the US late at night.  I'm a West-Coaster).  The reporter's premise was very interesting.  She viewed the talks as being the US with Iran vs. everybody else. 

Obama and Kerry are 100% on the side of the Iranians, and everybody in the world knows it but us.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ Why Obama chose the Iran talks to take one of the biggest risks of his presidency ]]

Somethin' tells me he isn't the one who "chose" it.

Look to that lady pullin' his strings!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Cyber Liberty wonders above:
[[ Do we have this to look forward to for the next couple of years?  "Vote for X candidate or you're responsible for Y?" ]]

Yep.

That's the Rye-No refrain.

(let's see if that escapes the autocensorship machine!)

Addendum: Success!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:21:59 am by Fishrrman »