Author Topic: How Google Skewed Search Results  (Read 1715 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How Google Skewed Search Results
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:21:32 am »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-google-skewed-search-results-1426793553

How Google Skewed Search Results
FTC staff report details how Google favored its own shopping, travel services over rivals

By
Rolfe Winkler And
Brody Mullins
Updated March 19, 2015 7:25 p.m. ET

A previously undisclosed report by staffers at the Federal Trade Commission reveals new details about how Google Inc. manipulated search results to favor its own services over rivals’, even when they weren’t most relevant for users.

In a lengthy investigation, staffers in the FTC’s bureau of competition found evidence that Google boosted its own services for shopping, travel and local businesses by altering its ranking criteria and “scraping” content from other sites. It also deliberately demoted rivals.

For example, the FTC staff noted that Google presented results from its flight-search tool ahead of other travel sites, even though Google offered fewer flight options. Google’s shopping results were ranked above rival comparison-shopping engines, even though users didn’t click on them at the same rate, the staff found. Many of the ways Google boosted its own results have not been previously disclosed.

continued..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: How Google Skewed Search Results
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:03 pm »
bkmk

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:10:26 pm »
Wouldn't you if you were google?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:16:34 pm »
Wouldn't you if you were google?

Of course.

But along the way, they've skewed the search results to favor ONLY progressives and the Democratic Party.

Those multiple meetings at the White House in the Spring of 2009 with Google and Twitter management should have alerted more 'folks' than me. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:36:37 pm »
Of course.

But along the way, they've skewed the search results to favor ONLY progressives and the Democratic Party.

Those multiple meetings at the White House in the Spring of 2009 with Google and Twitter management should have alerted more 'folks' than me.

Yes, the company is very, very establishment.  Some say the company is a CIA front, and even that would not surprise me.  Maybe we need to create a movement to boycott google.  There are plenty of other search engines out there.  But then, we'd also have to do without Chrome, You Tube, Android, gmail, etc.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:42:59 pm »
If anyone has produced an HONEST search engine that will simply produce all the results of an inquiry without any bias I am unaware of it and would appreciate knowing which one it is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 05:47:46 pm »
If anyone has produced an HONEST search engine that will simply produce all the results of an inquiry without any bias I am unaware of it and would appreciate knowing which one it is!

https://ixquick.com/ 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:49:12 pm by flowers »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 06:17:08 pm »
I see. Everybody would like a "neutral" search engine. Who pays for it?

Many of the refinements built into search engines help the user. For instance localization.

You almost take it for granted the search engines will supply you with commercial results, for the area that you are in.

Say you need tires for your car. Or want to go to the movies.

I see no harm, for companies in those parameters/locations to pay for prominent placements, just like they did with phone books, newspaper ads, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:23:00 pm »
I see. Everybody would like a "neutral" search engine. Who pays for it?

Many of the refinements built into search engines help the user. For instance localization.

You almost take it for granted the search engines will supply you with commercial results, for the area that you are in.

Say you need tires for your car. Or want to go to the movies.

I see no harm, for companies in those parameters/locations to pay for prominent placements, just like they did with phone books, newspaper ads, etc.

???

Why not type "tire stores in zipcode [your zipcode]?

Secondly, there's a big difference between where your company shows up on the list and not being included at all.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 06:26:06 pm »
When I look up prices on the net I want the prices for all over. Not just in my area. Yet I live in the mountains nothing is near me.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 06:44:46 pm »
"If you are not paying for it, you are the product."

Words for the wise, in search of "fair" free goods, services, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 01:43:51 am »

Try DuckDuckGo