Author Topic: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law  (Read 17708 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2015, 05:36:21 pm »
I still don't think that comparing Pence's reaction to a leftist assault and Walker's is an apples to oranges comparison.

While I don't think Pence is now automatically a bad guy because of his response, he has definitely lost the respect of many of us, desperate to see character and strength in the people who represent us.

I think Pence dropped the ball on this.  He needed to make it clear that this bill was not discrimination, but rather a defense against discrimination.  He needed to articulate that it was to protect the First Amendment rights of Christians to live up to their own consciences.  He needed to say that the attacks against Indiana were trumped up by the hate-filled leftist thugs (though in more diplomatic terms, perhaps!).  He needed to make it clear that the attackers were making things up, and the boycotts of Indiana were disingenuous at best.  He needed to defend the First Amendment, those who believe in it, and his own state, and those of us in other states who are being and will be attacked in the future.

He withered under fire.  Walker, attacked by the same leftist evil, did not.

It's the responses of the two men that are comparable, whether or not the details of the leftist gestapo attack were the same.

Obviously, some people will overreact and throw Pence under the bus (that's what people do), but it is not wrong for those of us who are looking for leadership and not seeing it in this case with this Governor, to be disappointed.

:amen:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »
I still don't think that comparing Pence's reaction to a leftist assault and Walker's is an apples to oranges comparison.

While I don't think Pence is now automatically a bad guy because of his response, he has definitely lost the respect of many of us, desperate to see character and strength in the people who represent us.

I think Pence dropped the ball on this.  He needed to make it clear that this bill was not discrimination, but rather a defense against discrimination.  He needed to articulate that it was to protect the First Amendment rights of Christians to live up to their own consciences.  He needed to say that the attacks against Indiana were trumped up by the hate-filled leftist thugs (though in more diplomatic terms, perhaps!).  He needed to make it clear that the attackers were making things up, and the boycotts of Indiana were disingenuous at best.  He needed to defend the First Amendment, those who believe in it, and his own state, and those of us in other states who are being and will be attacked in the future.

It's the responses of the two men that are comparable, whether or not the details of the leftist gestapo attack were the same.

Obviously, some people will overreact and throw Pence under the bus (that's what people do), but it is not wrong for those of us who are looking for leadership and not seeing it in this case with this Governor, to be disappointed.

:thumbsup:

Enthusiastically agree!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2015, 05:55:26 pm »

Basically because Walker has terra firma to stand on while Pence was arguably wrong.

Even Rehnquist and Scalia disagreed with such broadly crafted religious exemptions. 

BTW... Pence represents everyone in his State, not a portion of the people in his State and certainly not a larger "us", and a good number of those people he represents vehemently disagree with this law as written.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline evadR

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2015, 06:17:41 pm »
"I think Pence dropped the ball on this.  He needed to make it clear that this bill was not discrimination, but rather a defense against discrimination.  He needed to articulate that it was to protect the First Amendment rights of Christians to live up to their own consciences.  He needed to say that the attacks against Indiana were trumped up by the hate-filled leftist thugs (though in more diplomatic terms, perhaps!).  He needed to make it clear that the attackers were making things up, and the boycotts of Indiana were disingenuous at best.  He needed to defend the First Amendment, those who believe in it, and his own state, and those of us in other states who are being and will be attacked in the future."

There are all kinds of ways to reply that Pence could have taken and to be honest, I'm not sure what was in the original bill or what Pence's total responses were.  What I do know is that he responded to criticisms in his way which was to propose a solution to something he viewed as needing clarification.  That's his job, he's the governor.
I take a look at all this man has accomplished in his state and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Others take a look at the situation and arrive at a different conclusion, one that I disagree with.
Why are we so quick to eat our own?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 06:29:01 pm »

Reacting from a defensive position shows uncertainty and weakness. If he wasn't sure it was good legislation why did he sign the bill?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2015, 06:43:46 pm »
You can't just abide by the decisions that you support (Hobby Lobby) and not by the ones you oppose (Lawrence).

Well it certainly appears to this observer that the current regime has very much failed to get that memo!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45:33 pm »
Luis, I don't think we'll ever agree on the proper role of the SCOTUS (I will never be able to state my case as eloquently as you can).  I still think major social reforms should be done in the political process, not the Courts.  You mentioned the Courts acted against the majority opinion on abortion, and are likely to do so again for gay marriage.  The purpose of working it out politically is to move the hearts and minds of people in the "correct" direction.  If Abortion had been left alone it would, as you said, be a practice permitted almost everywhere, available to everybody willing to cross a state line.  That's true because hearts and minds have changed over the years (some would argue not for the better, but that's another argument I don't want to have). 

Same with Gay Marriage.  It used to be a major third rail, a hot-button issue sure to bring a lot of people to the polls to vote against it just a few years ago.  That has completely changed, and if things are allowed to move without the courts' intervention that will be available (tyranny free) for every American as well in just a few years.

The courts need to stay out of making major changes to the fabric of society, now matter how good the cause may seem.  It's tyranny in black robes, even if they do "the right thing."  Just call Balls and Strikes, that's it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline evadR

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2015, 06:55:52 pm »
I suppose it depends on the position you choose to take.
If you feel he "caved", then you might say he's just an ignorant pol.  He clearly indicated that he "never expected all the uproar" which may tend to support that position.
OR, maybe he felt the possibility of discrimination was ok and he agreed with it.
OR, maybe he felt the bill was a good bill and worthy of his signature.  I tend to think this one applies because as I stated before, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He's a pol but not a devious pol.  Maybe this will wise him up a bit.

I do think the central issue of this thread is whether or not he "caved".  Best as I can tell, everyone on this forum, with the exception of moi, thinks he did.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2015, 06:57:44 pm »
"Walker had black and white financial reasons backing his actions but Pence is dealing with the grey areas of a social issue. "

True dat.  This is why the two situations are not comparable.  Mixing apples and oranges is what we often do on these forums.

All I have heard on this thread and others is how Pence, who two weeks ago was a good guy, is now a POS that "caved".  Let me be the first to disagree.

All I want to know is "What does Bigun say"??????

Bigun says that Pence should have just kept his mouth shut and let the leftist trash do what they are going to do no matter what he does.

One of  main (perhaps the only) reasons the pilgrims came to America to begin with was to have the freedom to associate or not with whom they pleased.  I think they were right and that we should still have that ability today.

A baker should have the right to tell you that he is not going to bake your cake for any reason he chooses. I don't care if it's simply because he doesn't like your looks! You have every right to find a baker who does like you looks, or who wants your money despite what he thinks of your looks, that will bake your cake.  THAT is what I call FREEDOM!

And one more thing while I'm at it.  A human being cannot possibly survive on this planet if he does not discriminate. A LOT in fact!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2015, 07:03:19 pm »
Luis, I don't think we'll ever agree on the proper role of the SCOTUS (I will never be able to state my case as eloquently as you can).  I still think major social reforms should be done in the political process, not the Courts.  You mentioned the Courts acted against the majority opinion on abortion, and are likely to do so again for gay marriage.  The purpose of working it out politically is to move the hearts and minds of people in the "correct" direction.  If Abortion had been left alone it would, as you said, be a practice permitted almost everywhere, available to everybody willing to cross a state line.  That's true because hearts and minds have changed over the years (some would argue not for the better, but that's another argument I don't want to have). 

Same with Gay Marriage.  It used to be a major third rail, a hot-button issue sure to bring a lot of people to the polls to vote against it just a few years ago.  That has completely changed, and if things are allowed to move without the courts' intervention that will be available (tyranny free) for every American as well in just a few years.

The courts need to stay out of making major changes to the fabric of society, now matter how good the cause may seem.  It's tyranny in black robes, even if they do "the right thing."  Just call Balls and Strikes, that's it.

The majority favors same sex marriage at this time.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/169640/sex-marriage-support-reaches-new-high.aspx

Back when Loving was decided, 72% of the people were against interracial marriage.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:06:05 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2015, 07:07:35 pm »

There are all kinds of ways to reply that Pence could have taken and to be honest, I'm not sure what was in the original bill or what Pence's total responses were.  What I do know is that he responded to criticisms in his way which was to propose a solution to something he viewed as needing clarification.  That's his job, he's the governor.
I take a look at all this man has accomplished in his state and I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Others take a look at the situation and arrive at a different conclusion, one that I disagree with.
Why are we so quick to eat our own?

I'm not 'eating' anyone.

I am voicing disagreement and disappointment with someone whom I felt could have handled the situation with strength.

He did not.  Apparently the vociferousness of the attack rattled him to the point where he didn't react in the best interest of the state, because he enabled the leftist enemy to get the better of him.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2015, 07:08:57 pm »
I'm not 'eating' anyone.

I am voicing disagreement and disappointment with someone whom I felt could have handled the situation with strength.

He did not.  Apparently the vociferousness of the attack rattled him to the point where he didn't react in the best interest of the state, because he enabled the leftist enemy to get the better of him.

The people in his State were attacking him.

He may have not reacted in the best interest of a political faction within his State, but there are other political factions in his State with a voice in government.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2015, 07:10:51 pm »
Basically because Walker has terra firma to stand on while Pence was arguably wrong.

Even Rehnquist and Scalia disagreed with such broadly crafted religious exemptions. 

BTW... Pence represents everyone in his State, not a portion of the people in his State and certainly not a larger "us", and a good number of those people he represents vehemently disagree with this law as written.

Ah, but religious freedom IS in the best interest of everyone in his state.

He could have said, we'll look at the law and tweak it without showing the weakness he showed.

He did not clarify immediately that the law was being grossly misinterpreted by its attackers.  He did not clarify that the law was not written to discriminate, and that saying that it did was patently false.

He could have reacted with strength, and he didn't.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:00 pm »
Show of hands please.

Who here has actually read the legislation we're all discussing?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:49 pm »
I suppose it depends on the position you choose to take.
If you feel he "caved", then you might say he's just an ignorant pol.  He clearly indicated that he "never expected all the uproar" which may tend to support that position.
OR, maybe he felt the possibility of discrimination was ok and he agreed with it.
OR, maybe he felt the bill was a good bill and worthy of his signature.  I tend to think this one applies because as I stated before, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He's a pol but not a devious pol.  Maybe this will wise him up a bit.

I do think the central issue of this thread is whether or not he "caved".  Best as I can tell, everyone on this forum, with the exception of moi, thinks he did.

That sounds like a pretty fair assessment of how we got to this page.
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2015, 07:12:12 pm »
The people in his State were attacking him.

He may have not reacted in the best interest of a political faction within his State, but there are other political factions in his State with a voice in government.

He needed to firmly represent the truth about the bill, and he did not.

Truth is not dependent on 'political factions.'  The bill was not discriminatory against gays, and he didn't defend that fact.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2015, 07:12:38 pm »
The majority favors same sex marriage at this time.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/169640/sex-marriage-support-reaches-new-high.aspx

Back when Loving was decided, 72% of the people were against interracial marriage.

To protect us from misguided majorities is EXACTLY  why we were given a Republic instead of a democracy!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2015, 07:14:08 pm »
Ah, but religious freedom IS in the best interest of everyone in his state.

He could have said, we'll look at the law and tweak it without showing the weakness he showed.

He did not clarify immediately that the law was being grossly misinterpreted by its attackers.  He did not clarify that the law was not written to discriminate, and that saying that it did was patently false.

He could have reacted with strength, and he didn't.

He said that exact thing.

The weakness is perhaps your perception.

Have you read the legislation?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:10 pm »
To protect us from misguided majorities is EXACTLY  why we were given a Republic instead of a democracy!

Who is forcing you to marry a man Bigun?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:34 pm »
He needed to firmly represent the truth about the bill, and he did not.

Truth is not dependent on 'political factions.'  The bill was not discriminatory against gays, and he didn't defend that fact.

Have you read the bill?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2015, 07:17:53 pm »
Show of hands please.

Who here has actually read the legislation we're all discussing?

Not me.  I can't read legalese, and am willing to admit that people who have been steadfastly wrong in interpreting laws when it comes to their self-interest in the past could actually have this right.  I just doubt it very much.

I certainly could be guilty of backing the wrong horse.  A lot of the argument, however stems from how Pence reacted, not whether he is correct on the merits.  If it's a bad law after all, his reaction looks a lot like caving, and a lot of us are sick of seeing that in people we expect to fight on our behalf.  He could have doe a "fix" later after the liberals have stopped screaming and went somewhere else, like Arkansas.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2015, 07:19:56 pm »

Bob Hope had a joke about that.....
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2015, 07:20:29 pm »
He said that exact thing.

The weakness is perhaps your perception.

Have you read the legislation?

I know that's a 'gotcha' question, but honest person that I am, I'll answer it.  No, I haven't read it, but I've read comments and responses from people who have.  If I read legislation, it would still be subject to my own interpretation, so I try to find out what people whom I trust think.  (For the record, my husband is one of the only people in the US who read the entire Obamacare bill, and I trust him completely about what's in it).

I don't believe we're talking about 'perception' however.  He did NOT respond to the lies that were being told about the bill.  He did NOT correctly state that this was a political attack and a ploy of the left.

I know he said that they would take a look at the bill and tweak it, but it was surrounded by an absence of correction of the record of those who were attacking the State of Indiana.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2015, 07:21:10 pm »

No one! And they will not! Nor will they force me to have have any part whatever in a wedding in which two men or two women are "married"!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2015, 07:24:14 pm »
No one! And they will not! Nor will they force me to have have any part whatever in a wedding in which two men or two women are "married"!

So then, what difference does it make to you whether two men marry each other?